Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
geeman

Duramax LML Best Tune or no Tune?

1st LOVE the Diesel but just curious what you guys are doing to make her better.

I have been reading a lot lately about aftermarket Tunes and trying to figure out what is real world and what is just sales pitch.

Summer I pull a 8500# TT and winter a 2500# snowmobile trailer. I know several guys that have done a tune and picked up 2-6 MPG and that is what I am looking for. Pretty sure the EFI Live or Autocal is the way to go.

What do you think? What have you done? What real world results are you getting?

Did you do the deletes?

I know the older LBZ type trucks rocked with the tunes and wonder about the LML specifically.

Thanks!!
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
BOWWOW

I get all of my technical info from " Chevy and GMC Duramax forum "

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
therink

Personally, I would not do a EGR delete or an aftermarket tune or any other engine mod through the 3/36 warranty period. This simply would give GM an out is something major occurs. I found that my new Dmax has plenty to offer and can't wait to tow in the spring.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
geeman

2011 GMC LML Tune ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Personally, I would not do a EGR delete or an aftermarket tune or any other engine mod through the 3/36 warranty period. This simply would give GM an out is something major occurs. I found that my new Dmax has plenty to offer and can't wait to tow in the spring.
And this is where I am.....past the 3/36 last fall. .... .... .... .....
Old 02-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
I get all of my technical info from " Chevy and GMC Duramax forum "
I belong there as well. Good source of info but seems 95% there are all about huge horsepower, racing, smoke n lope and all that. Not much in the way actual trailer tow economy.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
cblong

I just sold my 07.5 2500. I loved it. It didn't have to much emissions stuff going on as compared to my new truck. I had efi live, dpf, egr deletes. That truck ran like a scalded ape. Way more than I ever used i drive mrs daisy. The dw has to remind me to speed up to the speed limit often enough. I did the deletes because I had an older diesel and didn't like all the emissions stuff going on so when I bought my new at that time 07.5 I deleted it. I did get better gas milage by a mile or two. And towing was nice I did like the increased gauges I could pull up on the screen like exhaust gas temps. Very helpful if you know what range you need to stay in while towing. But with my new truck I think I'm going to stay stock. I hopes that helps.

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
racin500

Bought my used 2007 LBZ engine/truck last summer. It's the CC, L-Bed, dually, 4x4. The previous owner used a tuner and the computer was tuned when I got it. The tuner/box was removed so I don't know what was used. Last month I had a sensor go out and they reset it back to stock.

Tuned was 23 highway, 17.5 city, 12.5 towing (33' 5er @ 13,000 lbs)
Stock is 20 highway, 15 city. Have not towed with it yet.

Service manager (close friend also) at an independent shop says "No Tune" for towing. Money would be better spent on EGR Delete, upgrade air intake and upgrade exhaust.
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #8
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin500 View Post
Bought my used 2007 LBZ engine/truck last summer. It's the CC, L-Bed, dually, 4x4. The previous owner used a tuner and the computer was tuned when I got it. The tuner/box was removed so I don't know what was used. Last month I had a sensor go out and they reset it back to stock.

Tuned was 23 highway, 17.5 city, 12.5 towing (33' 5er @ 13,000 lbs)
Stock is 20 highway, 15 city. Have not towed with it yet.

Service manager (close friend also) at an independent shop says "No Tune" for towing. Money would be better spent on EGR Delete, upgrade air intake and upgrade exhaust.
Thinking if you do the delete, upgraded intake and exhaust, you would pretty much have to do a tune or you would have all kinds of codes flashing all the time. ??? And your gains would not be as great without. Anyone done this before?

How about the LML Duramaxes?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
BOWWOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
I belong there as well. Good source of info but seems 95% there are all about huge horsepower, racing, smoke n lope and all that. Not much in the way actual trailer tow economy.
I hear that! I guess as long as it's running good if it ain't broke don't fix it.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Double check any info you find on tunes/claims for the LML. My understanding is they made them next to impossible to tune with the new federal regulations on the factories blocking the capability. most tuners I have seen do not work for the LML. There are a couple that claim they work, but from what I've heard the results are not great. Basically you would have to put on A LOT of miles to get a return on your investment. Same goes with any exhaust mods

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
wyo

You will love your gmc i have had mine since aug and it pulls my 3 axel toy hauler loaded with toys and gear for 11 great i even had a youngster pull out in front of me locked it all up and missed her by inches my other truck i would of hit her.
wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
Cnc_hemi

Yes you can make her stronger. EFI LIVE. Is the only way to go. Cory Willis at PPEI. he is the best. He is a LML king. I'm waiting for my warranty to pass. Before I do it. You can get a factory safe tranny tunes. And he offers dpf and def deletes. Also changing ya turbo down pipe will help. MBRP makes a factory swap out. Helps spool up. I love my LML.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
natedog_37

Going to say once you start upgrading you are going to have to tune it. Also nothing like upping the boost
natedog_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #14
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnc_hemi View Post
Yes you can make her stronger. EFI LIVE. Is the only way to go. Cory Willis at PPEI. he is the best. He is a LML king. I'm waiting for my warranty to pass. Before I do it. You can get a factory safe tranny tunes. And he offers dpf and def deletes. Also changing ya turbo down pipe will help. MBRP makes a factory swap out. Helps spool up. I love my LML.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
What are you getting for MPG now?
Have you had a PPEI on an LML? If so, what did you gain?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #15
Cnc_hemi

I'm getting 18 stock. In everyday driving. With no tune right now. I do know a couple people that run PPEI and they love it. They run the economy tune. And getting 20/21 mpg. And one is setting up now to do a def and dpf delete. Cory will write u a tune just for that.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
Old 02-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Keep in mind, the way they gain fuel mileage is by increasing torque. There are a lot of opinions out there about how much of an impact this has on life expectancy. Another thought, cost vs gain. If you gain on average 2 mpg (some do, some don't) using simple math gain from 18 to 20 with average fuel costs of $2.80 per gallon, you would save just over $1500 over 100,000 miles. My guess doing the deletes, exhaust change, and tune will run you closer to $3000 for everything. IMO, that's a long time for return on investment for a truck that already has more than enough power and reliability. Obviously your truck, your decision.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
Cnc_hemi

I'm looking at it different. The cost for me for the eFI live $750.00 that comes with custom tunes including a def and dpf deletes. As for as parts. All you will need is the straight pipe swap where ya dpf is at. Bolt on ya self. $130.00. If ya wanted to go cheaper most muffler shops will do it for less than $50. But ya can't bolt back up the dpf if u go back to stock. The only really other thing u might want to do to the LML is swap out the down pipe that has a bad restriction. $250 or so. And all that is factory safe with out trany upgrades. Or messing with the LML it self. Basically the factory boogs down the truck with all the emissions crap. That will give you issues down the road. Not if but when. Imo it's wort it. I get 10 mpg towing my fuzion. My friend that has the eFI live pulls a XLR 37' TH. And gets 14/15 with the same year model 2012 gmc same gears. And he's getting 21/22 every day with 35" tires.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #18
Tonkatoy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnc_hemi View Post

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
This is an older thread but I 2nd this. Cory Willis was the first one to crack the codes on the LML and he pretty much has it nailed.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #19
geeman

did you delete or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
This is an older thread but I 2nd this. Cory Willis was the first one to crack the codes on the LML and he pretty much has it nailed.
So are you talking a full delete or did you guys just do a tune on stock setup? Assuming the downpipe comes with the delete...or can you change downpipe and keep def?

What gains did you see? Dead pedal is prob gone either way.?.?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #20
hemisareslow

go big or stay home

I have an 08 with the LMM engine...lucky for me I didn't have to worry about deleting the def fluid...just the dpf. I opted to go with EFI Living tuning. I bought the autocal from Alligator Performance and had the tuning done by Idaho Rob. EFI Live is really the best and only way to go for tuning. You can have a tune set up for your truck that will maximize it with all factory components installed.....or you can really wake it up. I have a 4" turbo back exhaust..suncoast stage 6 trans with an upgraded torque converter...banks intake...and in the next week or two I will be adding a FASS 150 gph lift pump/filter. I would highly recommend looking into a lift pump if you plan on keeping any duramax for a long time. The factory fuel pump is at the engine, meaning it must pull the fuel from the tank. Adding a FASS lift pump with take a load off the factory pump and add extra filtration which will no doubt increase the life of your injectors and pump. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with....I am also the fleet manager at a Chevy Dealer so I would love to help out however I can...Mike
hemisareslow is offline   Reply With Quote