Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Barbarian Coug

Visited trailer in storage - and the slide was out?

Ok - the slide wasn't out all the way - but one of the three slides on our 2014 3150RL 5th wheel was out at least six inches. The rig has been in storage since early January. I visited a week after putting it in storage to pull the two batteries and put some clean towels and sheets back into the cupboards – I would have noticed a slide being out. So with no batteries to fire up the hydraulic leveling system – what is the best guess for how one slide moved out six inches?
Barbarian Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Probably hydraulic pressure leaked (or drained) down on the "in" side of the actuator and the slight pressure on the "out" side of the actuator pushed the slide out slightly. Any loss of pressure on the actuator (if the trailer is sitting with the slide slightly tilted down or up) would cause the actuator to allow the slide to drift in the direction gravity is pulling it. I believe there is a locking mechanism on the actuators (to keep the slides in during travel) but if the pressure drops to zero, I don't know if the locks will still function. If they don't, then essentially your actuators are "free to drift" and the slide may creep open. It's "sort of" like the front end loader on my tractor. As long as there is pressure on the actuators, the bucket will stay up, but if I shut down the tractor, eventually the actuators will "leak down" and the bucket will start moving slowly toward the ground.

You could cut a couple of "2x4 wooden blocks" to wedge behind the slide facia and the outside wall as a means to keep the slide from drifting out when in storage. If you so, don't forget to remove them before powering up the system or you could have a slide that wants to move and a block that is in the way causing some "ugly damage"..... There are slide locks available from most RV parts stores, but they are designed more for travel and you shouldn't need anything that elaborate. http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/prod...product_id=495

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Barbarian Coug

Now that is a solid answer. The rig is on level ground in storage. I am charging my batteries right now and after I check for leaks and such, I'll fire up the slide and pull it in. The link helped as well. Thanks John
Barbarian Coug is offline   Reply With Quote