Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #61
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
This thread has definitely migrated off-topic ... OP's question was: "Pull a Fuzion 371 with an F250?"

Thanks
Looks like the 2015 Fuzion 371 is 13240 dry and can carry 3260 so its maxed out at 16500. What year F250 are we talking about? The GVWR and GCWR vary greatly between years.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #62
Cnc_hemi

That is the max on my 2012 GMC Sierra 2500. So my guess a new f250 is close to that. I pull a Fuzion 310. But wouldn't push it any more with a larger camper. If mine was larger or heavier I would go DW. Just to be safe. Just my opinion. My truck handles it fine. But any heavier and it would be out my rated limits. I have a neighbor that has a 39' road warrior and he has swapped trucks 3 times in the last year looking for a truck that he likes his best was a DW 3500 he says. ( he works for a dealer ) lol. But he said he is going back to the DW full time. Handles it the best. My guess you 371 is not much diff in weight.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Old 02-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #63
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

I was in the same boat. Have a 2014 Ram 2500 6.7L and was getting the Carbon 357.. about the same weight of the 371. I have a 25000 max GCVR and can pull 17,200 according to RAM

I upgraded my tires to the BFG LT A/T, each have a load rating of 3640lbs and put on a set of air bags. Pulls just fine with a load.

I also just had to get my Class A CDL because it was over 15k. Took my truck and 357 to the DMV for the drive test and inspection...... everyone said I was illegal with my 2500 on here, but the DMV says I'm legal so I am siding with the DMV who issued me my non commercial class A.

That said.... I'll be upgrading my next truck to a 3500 with a 4:10 SWD
Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #64
sourdough
Site Team

Bman916 - not to nitpick but I think the folks on here were right. Payload on a 2014 Ram 2500 6.7 crew cab 4x4 is 2291lbs. Hitch weight on a Carbon 357 is 3060lbs before you put anything in it....or in the truck. Don't know what the DMV was looking at but it certainly wasn't that.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #65
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Bman916 - not to nitpick but I think the folks on here were right. Payload on a 2014 Ram 2500 6.7 crew cab 4x4 is 2291lbs. Hitch weight on a Carbon 357 is 3060lbs before you put anything in it....or in the truck. Don't know what the DMV was looking at but it certainly wasn't that.
Well, not like the DMV really knows what they are doing....
Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #66
JRTJH
Site Team

As tax dollars get more scarce and RV's get bigger, it's only a matter of time before the state law enforcement authorities realize the "cash cow" they have available for the "easy picking". Once they do, I'm betting there will be a lot of fifth wheels and travel trailers sitting on the side of interstates waiting for a wrecker to tow them to an impound lot. Just thinking out loud, an officer could, in 10 minutes, easily write $500 in fines and call a wrecker to make even more money for the impound lot. That's $2500 an hour with a 10 minute break for the officer. In an 8 hour day, one officer could enhance the state revenue by a significant sum. The "time and equipment" investment would provide money for the state treasury to help offset some of the current expenses and help balance the state budget. Heck, with training, that same officer could drive a snowplow during the winter months when RV's are less prevalent on the highways.

Nobody can "fudge" nearly 1000 pounds above the payload sticker on the door and "claim": "But officer, the guy at DMV told me I was legal."

In the 50's, states realized they could "regulate commercial traffic" and collect significant "highway dollars" by doing so. The time is coming when private traffic is regulated much the same way. When that happens, all the commentary on this and other forums will fall on the "I told you so" ears of those who weren't listening.

Until then, "run with the elephants"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #67
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As tax dollars get more scarce and RV's get bigger, it's only a matter of time before the state law enforcement authorities realize the "cash cow" they have available for the "easy picking". Once they do, I'm betting there will be a lot of fifth wheels and travel trailers sitting on the side of interstates waiting for a wrecker to tow them to an impound lot. Just thinking out loud, an officer could, in 10 minutes, easily write $500 in fines and call a wrecker to make even more money for the impound lot. That's $2500 an hour with a 10 minute break for the officer. In an 8 hour day, one officer could enhance the state revenue by a significant sum. The "time and equipment" investment would provide money for the state treasury to help offset some of the current expenses and help balance the state budget. Heck, with training, that same officer could drive a snowplow during the winter months when RV's are less prevalent on the highways.

Nobody can "fudge" nearly 1000 pounds above the payload sticker on the door and "claim": "But officer, the guy at DMV told me I was legal."

In the 50's, states realized they could "regulate commercial traffic" and collect significant "highway dollars" by doing so. The time is coming when private traffic is regulated much the same way. When that happens, all the commentary on this and other forums will fall on the "I told you so" ears of those who weren't listening.

Exactly why I got a F550 to Tow my triple axle toy hauler.....

BMan916, how was the Class A non commercial test? Was it a written and a driving? What exactly do they want to you to show them you can do, back up and make turns? There is no way I could get my Truck and trailer into the DMV lot by me...Just curious. Thx!!

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #68
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

Quote:

Actually, was going to tell them " my dog ate my sticker" or that's what I should have said when I was pulled over a few weeks ago by CHP for a break light out on the new TH. He said I need a Non Commercial Class A. He was in the CHP pick up commercial truck and said nothing about my pin weight. He just looked at the gross of the trailer and asked if I knew I needed a class A... and gave me a fix it ticket to get the class A

Look, the 3500 same year and make has a payload of 4,290. The only difference from that truck and mine is the suspension. My brother in law is a shop foreman for a ram dealer and he pulled my vin and checked the rear end, axle and drive train against the 3500. He of course could not put it on paper that I am okay, but with a set of Firestone air bags I'd be set....

Wow, folks really get spun up talking about towing
Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #69
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysRV View Post
Exactly why I got a F550 to Tow my triple axle toy hauler.....

BMan916, how was the Class A non commercial test? Was it a written and a driving? What exactly do they want to you to show them you can do, back up and make turns? There is no way I could get my Truck and trailer into the DMV lot by me...Just curious. Thx!!

The CDL road test is at a DMV CDL location with a huge parking lot. Don't take your rig to the DMV for the written test...
Old 02-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #70
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman916 View Post
Actually, was going to tell them " my dog ate my sticker" or that's what I should have said when I was pulled over a few weeks ago by CHP for a break light out on the new TH. He said I need a Non Commercial Class A. He was in the CHP pick up commercial truck and said nothing about my pin weight. He just looked at the gross of the trailer and asked if I knew I needed a class A... and gave me a fix it ticket to get the class A

Look, the 3500 same year and make has a payload of 4,290. The only difference from that truck and mine is the suspension. My brother in law is a shop foreman for a ram dealer and he pulled my vin and checked the rear end, axle and drive train against the 3500. He of course could not put it on paper that I am okay, but with a set of Firestone air bags I'd be set....

Wow, folks really get spun up talking about towing
I don't know that it's "folks get spun up" as much as it is "folks get off on bragging about being illegal" .... We are all supposed to be responsible for what we do and how we use the public highways. We "fuss" when someone cuts us off without using a blinker, when they are speeding and driving recklessly and we have to avoid their actions, and then we smile when we pass them and law enforcement has them stopped... Is there really a difference in violating the weight limits of a vehicle and breaking any other law?

If I were running a rig that was 30+% overweight, I don't think I'd be bragging about it on a public forum. If you should happen to have the unfortunate situation of being involved in an accident and the "damaged person's lawyer" should stumble upon this site and read your posts, I wonder how much weight they would carry in a civil suit?

And, no, your truck isn't the same as a 3500. If it were, it would have the same sticker on the door. Just sayin......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #71
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
I don't know that it's "folks get spun up" as much as it is "folks get off on bragging about being illegal" .... We are all supposed to be responsible for what we do and how we use the public highways. We "fuss" when someone cuts us off without using a blinker, when they are speeding and driving recklessly and we have to avoid their actions, and then we smile when we pass them and law enforcement has them stopped... Is there really a difference in violating the weight limits of a vehicle and breaking any other law?

If I were running a rig that was 30+% overweight, I don't think I'd be bragging about it on a public forum. If you should happen to have the unfortunate situation of being involved in an accident and the "damaged person's lawyer" should stumble upon this site and read your posts, I wonder how much weight they would carry in a civil suit?

And, no, your truck isn't the same as a 3500. If it were, it would have the same sticker on the door. Just sayin......

hmm. not really bragging about anything. Just disagree with you is all.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #72
JRTJH
Site Team

This thread has gone on for 7 pages now. A member sent me a PM during posts on page 1 saying he thought it was useless to try to convince those who don't get it. People who own the trailer in question have stated that they believe their 3/4 ton truck is overloaded when towing this trailer. Others have stated the payloads, GVW, GCWR and axle ratings and commented on how it's impossible to stay within the design limits of the truck. If you "don't get it" and still disagree with the reality that your truck is overloaded, then you'll likely not get it in the next pages either. That's not my limitation so I'm simply going to bow out gracefully and wish you best of luck and safe travels.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #73
C130

One very simple way to verify if legal or not; get it weighed. Anyone want to bet it's not overweight?

A friend just bought a new 2015 F250. I suggested an F350 SRW as a minimum. He also put a 40 gallon aux tank in the bed. He's looking at 40 foot plus toy haulers and I already told him he'll be trading soon or will be way overweight.

The toy haulers are getting so big and so many people are so overloaded that I wouldn't be surprised if the RV industry doesn't become way more regulated in the future. Wouldn't surprise me if RV's would be required to stop at the weigh stations. There's way too many people buying 40 foot plus 5th wheels with no towing experience whatsoever, many hauling them with an F250/2500 and all overloaded by a lot.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #74
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=pg_rider;159238]Hi folks, first post here. Wife and I fell in love with a Fuzion 371 at our local dealer so I'm looking more into it. As it turns out some friends in California have one, and they say they pull it with an F250. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that dang near impossible? I see the pin weight on the 371 is ~3000lbs which I believe is significantly higher than what an F250 is rated for.

What do most folks typically use to pull a 371? I was thinking a 3500-class pickup, but now I'm wondering if I need to consider going with a dually?[/QUOTE

After 8 pages, the OP's question has been answered coupled with a lengthy discussion about another member's concern about whether or not his TV and RV are overweight, underweight, legal or illegal.

As JRTJH pointed out there is probably not much more sense in carrying on a discussion that now seems to be going in circles.

For this reason, the thread is now being closed.

Thank you to all who participated.
Closed Thread