Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #21
Cougar1957

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for that insulation spec...I see the difference in the brochure. The XLite uses block insulation with an R value of 9, and the regular Cougar uses fiberglass with a value of 14. Not a big deal to me since I was more concerned with getting a quality light weight unit that would serve me well. My question to the dealer was more about whether or not the super structure was as hardy, so I guess I cant fault him for not mentioning the insulation difference. Thanks all.
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #22
Tom

If I've learned anything during my many years of RVing it's to take anything a dealer/salesman says with a large grain of salt. Some of them will tell you anything to make a sale, some a are totally clueless and some pretty good.

Like Ronald Reagan said: "Trust, but verify".
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 AM   #23
Mimi & Poppi

Smile First Time Fifth Wheel

We have a 29 RET and while there have been a few things we have changed, added and repaired, overall this has been a great experience. We did add a divider built to fit the cabinet over the sink area to put our plates, bowls and slots for the glasses to keep them from co-mingling while we drive down the road. The storage above the microwave and refrigerator are not as accessible so a 2 step stool is mighty handy. (slid in the space by the couch when folded down). The storage under the bedroom if left open in the heat/cool affects the bedroom greatly...I like the idea of insulating the ceiling/floor of the bedroom area.
We took the table loose from the floor to be able to move it into the living area to play cards...we have a group that camps with us and we like to play cards if it is raining etc....and this allows us to have the 4 chairs (we have a dinette set) and footstools and couch to get everyone around the table.
We learned the hard way to always check the currency coming through the converter....and thank you to the Keystone forum! We had to replace the converter due to a pretty big jolt to our rv...but through the forum and the peoples comments and helpful hints we tracked it through the electrical system to the converter replacement...
We also drive a Chevy Silverado HD 2500 Gas 3.73 Axel and it pulls great...going up steep hills it is a little slower...but 'slow and steady wins the race'...
Overall, being a first time '5r' we like it a lot.....
Mimi & Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #24
Bowti

Smile

We are very happy with our 28SGS. We especially like the opposing slides and the large windows which makes the unit seem larger than it is. Also the direct view of the TV from the seating area was a big deal for us.
So far we have made two mods, first was to replace the couch with a lazyboy wall hugger loveseat recliner (best mod ever) and second was to put in an access door for the dump tank handles (also a big deal for me).

So far very happy with our 5r.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #25
Bushman512000

lite Cougar

Hi We have a 2008 1/2 ton series 5er called- a 276RLS or 27.6feet rear living room slide GVWR 10,160lbs its ok for 2 people like Us but not a trailer for full timers I have added many mods as a central Vac, wet bolts and 10 ply tires also a mounted 3000 Honda gen. We boon dock a lot..I also have a rubber ride pin box for a better ride .I use a old Dodge Oil burner to drag it down the road not a big deal the trailer is made as well as any other ones out there I think the government needs to have some control on the trailer builders to do better work for safety sake but that is not a concern it seams get a good one is the luck of the draw....The best to You Bushman and happy trails...
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #26
Cindy_N_Gary

We are another pair of happy 26SAB owners. Ours is a 2012 that we bought new in March 2013.

We pull it with our 2012 F250 6.2L gas crew cab 2WD with no problems. We pulled it from Indiana to Glacier NP in Montana last summer and this summer to Acadia NP in Maine, then on to D.C. and Shenandoah NP in Virginia. In the Rockies last year I was passing diesels pulling bigger trailers up steep grades. We don't push it hard at all and it cruises right along.

2012 Cougar XLite 26SAB 5th Wheel
2016 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel 4X4 DRW
Cindy_N_Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #27
Wrenchited

Considering Cougar X-lite 5th wheel

We purchased a 2015 x-lite 29rli w/high country package in May 2015. 2010 Ford F-150 screw fx4 5.4L tow vehicle. Very happy with the extra room. The awning is small, but we like the triple slides. From PA. we traveled to Mass., Bar Harbor Maine and several trips up & down route 81. We're very happy with our 5er. Happy shopping
Wrenchited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #28
Fishhawk

Our input on Lite models would be

We bought our 2015 Cougar lite 29RLI in Oct
Did some weekend camping and have Enjoyed it very much so far
We're leaving in a week for a 3 month camping trip to the Gulf coast
This trip should shake out some pros and cons of our camper I suppose
We have many things now that we like about our camper and
The only complaint as of now, which probably pertains to all campers with the frig in a slide out, is the frig fan noise.
In this cool weather it wont be much of an issue though until I return home and can hopefully replace it with something quieter.

We have camped in 25- 38 deg weather in the mountains and feel like the insulation and actual run time of the furnace and elect heater, as compared to our former non- lite camper was normal ,
very acceptable and comfortable in our 29RLI Lite
We are fine with the overall build quality
It's also perfect for our truck and our wallet

A comparable model to our Cougar Lite but in the regular series
would weigh 2,000 lbs more and can cost around $10,000 more

So, are there gonna be differences in the two models?
Yup

Which one is the "right" one
Is Just going to depend on what works for each person

Enjoy whatever you decide to buy!!!
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #29
GmaPaTime

Very well stated Fishhawk.... Same here, same model.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote