Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
rgnmgr

Adding slide-out awning voids warranty...?

Keystone has told me that adding a slide-out awning cover to protect the slide-out will void the warranty. Does anyone know why this added protective feature would be harmful to the slide-out? I have a 2014 Bullet 272 BHS. We have had 2 minor water intrusions from the slide-out. Our dealer is currently checking the unit out. It seems logical to me that an awning cover would minimize or prevent leaks from occurring.

rgnmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

It's not harmful to the slide out. Toppers are added all the time without causing any problem to the slide. Keystone is probably considering this as some form of modification or addition to the structure and as such will void the warranty. If you re concerned, wait until the warranty has expired then add the slide topper.
I would consider a topper an upgrade not a downgrade.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Povo

I am also considering adding toppers to the three slide outs. Never would have thought about it affecting the warranty. Just seems like a good idea and pretty much all of the high-end RVs in the park we're in have them. Do you think the entire warranty would be voided or just exterior structural issues?

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Installing a slide cover will not affect the warranty on other parts of your RV such as the refrigerator, the tires, axles, electrical system, propane system, etc.

It will likely void any claims you might have with regards to the slide framework, alignment, side mechanism, any leaks or issues with the trailer sidewall near or around the slide. The remaining parts of your warranty should still be valid and coverage would continue.

Just as installing a trailer hitch will void parts of your warranty ( I did mine before delivery of the RV) the rest is still covered.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
sjturbo

Tongue and Cheek: Usually anything that you do to improve your RV will void the warranty because the manufacture did not think of it first!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Ron

Interesting, so our Montana was ordered from the factory with toppers, was my warranty void when I picked it up from the dealer, I think not, I think someone is giving you some miss information, the past couple of trailers we bought new the toppers were added by the dealer, did it void the warranty then, no way....we have had several warranty claims with the new Montana and there was no question about warranty...Just my 2 cents worth...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
rgnmgr

Slide-out awning warranty

Thanks for the responses. The warranty info came directly from Keystone. I agree that any warranty issue would probably be centered around the slide-out and any leakage, that they might assume was it caused by the installation (ie. screws and mounting to the exterior). Since the slide-out warranty is only a paltry 6 mos. I can wait and add later.
I am curious as to whether or not you can order a slide-out awning cover on a new Bullet from the factory?
I learned about the warranty issue when I inquired about how and where to mount an awning.
rgnmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
rongaj

Just confirming this warranty issue..

Just purchased a new 2014 Bullet Premier 31BHPR from a dealer. Read the slide topper warranty issues on this forum prior to PDI and asked dealer to investigate. Response from Keystone....unless your trailer is comes with the necessary mounting brackets from the factory to support the slide topper, your slide out warranty will be voided. Mine did not come with the factory mounts, so did not get them at this time. Hope this helps!
rongaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
byrdr1

dealer installed mine before I picked it up?? and
What does that do for the 2nd AC installed in the bedroom by the dealer??

Never thought it would void warranty? but mine will be 4 years old next month according the build date label. I will have owned(loosely stated) it 4 years in October.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote