Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Alberta hideout

Am I wrong?

My G.F and I just got a 2015 23RSWE. We are going out on the 11-13 for first time. She works out for town I get to see her about 8 days out of the month. We are going with a bunch of us , now her sister and a friend don't have a trailer. I still have all my tents. They think they should be able to sleep in trailer not in tents. But this is way I did not get a bunk model. So how do I deal with this? There are also washrooms in campsite , but they think that because we have washroom in trailer they will just use that. So am I being an a&&hole. When I say no?
Alberta hideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Possibly you can just explain to them that you don't get to spend much time with your girlfriend and the campout in question is one of those times when the two of you feel it's important to have the privacy the trailer gives you. Offer them the tents for use and be firm in the statement that you need the time to be alone with your girlfriend and don't want their company during the late evening and early morning hours.

Hopefully they can understand the request and not be upset because you want to be alone with her.

Good luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Possibly you can just explain to them that you don't get to spend much time with your girlfriend and the campout in question is one of those times when the two of you feel it's important to have the privacy the trailer gives you. Offer them the tents for use and be firm in the statement that you need the time to be alone with your girlfriend and don't want their company during the late evening and early morning hours.

Hopefully they can understand the request and not be upset because you want to be alone with her.

Good luck !!!
Well said I agree. We have a toyhauler that sleeps 8 and there are only 2 of us and don't want others in our trailer either. We also have a tent that we offer
Old 07-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
concours

Put an end to it now or it will only get worse. In the end feelings will get hurt better theirs than yours you made the investment not them
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
x96mnn

Tough spot and no decision will work out well. If you do not let them in they will call you an AHole. Do not know your GFs relationship with her sister and her friend but you may have a case where two of the more influential people in her life put the hate on for you and start referring to you as IT.

Let them in and your weekend and most other trips will leave you hating you own a trailer.

Lose lose and good luck.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Steve S

Email them all pics of tents and the public washrooms and they might get the hint!
This is your first trip with you're gf that you only get to see a few times a month and the last thing you need is a bunch of people in your trailer.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I've been married for forty-four years and I don't care what Keystone says ... my Cougar only sleeps two. Where would they stay if you didn't have the trailer??? I think it's nice of you to offer the tent so they can come along. I would be pointing to the Holiday Inn down the road and meeting them for brunch. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
BobnLee

Had the same problem. family not only wanted to borrow our trailer but they wanted us to deliver it to the campsite and then pick it up after they were finished with it. Hard decision to make cause it was kids but I put my foot down and do not let anyone use my trailer. Love having the grandkids come with us but thats where we draw the line. Cocktails for 6 dinner for 4 sleeps 2
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
.......I don't care what Keystone says ... my Cougar only sleeps two.......
Ditto what Hank said. And, I'll add our favorite RV phrase: "Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
mazboy123

family

just tell them....I assume the GF feels the same way....I hope!

they can work in the kitchen, sit at the table, wash their hands and use the toilet....During the time together but then they need to use the shower house.

good luck. if they don't want to tent then they don't go...that simple, I hope.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
GMcKenzie

Maybe it's just that I'm a bit twisted, but tell them you plan to "recreate" (this is a family site) in as many ways as you can in the new trailer to break it in. They are welcome to join if they want, otherwise the tents are available.

(Does this get me on the list Festus?????)

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
Alberta hideout

Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
Ditto what Hank said. And, I'll add our favorite RV phrase: "Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
Love this gonna get a sign made!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
vampress_me

Rock and hard place

First question, how does your girlfriend feel about it? Does she want them there in the camper too, or does she want them sleeping in the tent? Hopefully, she agrees with you, which makes telling them that tents are awesome for sleeping much easier. Also, if you don't have full hookups where you are going, you could possibly say that they can't expect showers, etc in the camper because grey/ black tanks would fill up too fast, so would have to use provided facilities anyway. IDK, but just my thoughts...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #14
Alberta hideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Maybe it's just that I'm a bit twisted, but tell them you plan to "recreate" (this is a family site) in as many ways as you can in the new trailer to break it in. They are welcome to join if they want, otherwise the tents are available.

(Does this get me on the list Festus?????)
Ya that's a bit twisted alright you did read the part about her sister right? But hey am new to rv life so what do I know.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
Alberta hideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
First question, how does your girlfriend feel about it? Does she want them there in the camper too, or does she want them sleeping in the tent? Hopefully, she agrees with you, which makes telling them that tents are awesome for sleeping much easier. Also, if you don't have full hookups where you are going, you could possibly say that they can't expect showers, etc in the camper because grey/ black tanks would fill up too fast, so would have to use provided facilities anyway. IDK, but just my thoughts...
Yes and went and got rv toilet paper today $5.00 for 4 rolls really this could get pricey , or did I get ripped off. That was at Canadian Tire am sure lots of you have no idea what that is.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta hideout View Post
Yes and went and got rv toilet paper today $5.00 for 4 rolls really this could get pricey , or did I get ripped off. That was at Canadian Tire am sure lots of you have no idea what that is.
Some swear by RV toilet paper. Others, incl. myself, use regular Scott single ply toilet paper. To test toilet paper's RV compatibility, put one or two sheets of paper in jar with approx. one cup water. Put lid on jar and shake once. Wait 10-16 hrs., checking every few hours. If it falls apart into bits, it's RV-friendly. http://www.sanidumps.com/product-tes...rtest.php#nogo

Excessive wipers, or anyone that doesn't use enough water when flushing, can clog things up, regardless of which paper is used. And, always have black water tank valve closed except when emptying the tank (that way the paper has time to break down in the water/liquid).

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:17 AM   #17
gwvwadc

We have the same problem (kind of). I believe that WE bought the TT for OUR use - not as a traveling hotel room for everybody else.
Do what I do:
I tell "guests" that I go to bed early - always have, always will. If they want to stay up late and then try to get the foldout beds ready themselves, they are welcome to do so. They also need to leave room for the dog crate and NOT leave all their stuff laying around!
I get up early - always have, always will. I may be up as early as 4:00 AM - AND when I get up, I WILL turn on the lights in the living room area and the kitchen and start the coffee pot. Also they need to understand that the dog may need to get up early to do his outside thing and can be kinda vocal when he really needs to go.
Last, but not least - you fill up all the holding tanks - you get the pleasure of figuring out a way to empty them without me moving the rig to the dump site. After explaining what that involves, usually "guests" decide it is not worth the free night(s) of camping.
Am I an a** for being this way - maybe. Having heard some horror stories of weekend guests from other owners, I feel like I have a right to say no.

Oh and one other thing - the campground may have rules governing how many people can be on one site. You might want to look into that!

Me, DW and Taz (Yorkie and the REAL boss!)
2013 Cougar High Country 321 RES
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4 FX4
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #18
poncho62

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
Some swear by RV toilet paper. Others, incl. myself, use regular Scott single ply toilet paper. To test toilet paper's RV compatibility, put one or two sheets of paper in jar with approx. one cup water. Put lid on jar and shake once. Wait 10-16 hrs., checking every few hours. If it falls apart into bits, it's RV-friendly. http://www.sanidumps.com/product-tes...rtest.php#nogo

Excessive wipers, or anyone that doesn't use enough water when flushing, can clog things up, regardless of which paper is used. And, always have black water tank valve closed except when emptying the tank (that way the paper has time to break down in the water/liquid).
I asked my septic guy about this...He said it makes no difference as long as the septic tank gets pumped regularly.....If the campground doesnt do this, thats their problem
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #19
mguay

[quote name="hankpage" post=134322].......I don't care what Keystone says ... my Cougar only sleeps two.......[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
Ditto what Hank said. And, I'll add our favorite RV phrase: "Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2" <br />
<br />
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot <br/>

Love the 6-4-2....that's our standard answer to the " How many does this thing sleep?" question! [emoji6]
Old 07-04-2014, 05:04 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I asked my septic guy about this...He said it makes no difference as long as the septic tank gets pumped regularly.....If the campground doesnt do this, thats their problem
Your septic guy is correct when talking about the campground septic system. That's their problem. The issue is double ply tissue or even single ply tissue that doesn't dissolve in the black tank INSIDE the RV. That paper has the potential to "clump in a corner" or to "get stuck in the valve" or to "hang on the tank sensors" and not come off, not dissolve off, not break down and can cause significant problems with leaking valves, hard to flush toilets, hard to empty tanks. The big problem comes when you empty the tank, store the RV for a period of time with the black tank dry and that "left over paper" dries out, becomes "concrete like" inside the tank. Then, next time (usually in the spring when you de-winterize, you've got big problems trying to empty your tank after camping.

It's best to use a toilet paper that does break down easily, some Scott products will do that, some won't, so just because it says "single ply" or "Safe for Septic Systems" doesn't mean it's safe for RV tanks.

There are numerous brands that will break down, so there's no "real need" to spend $5 for 4 rolls of "RV specific" paper.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote