Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
berg

Best Glue for Counter Edges

Our 2014 Outback counters or countertops need some attention before the upcoming trip and impending water damage. Especially the bathroom - someone really missed the mark here at the factory.

At any rate, the dealer is 2.5hrs away and I haven't really had any issues big enough yet to justify a return "fix it" trip up there.

I do want to get the counter edges glued back on tight and sealed up before the weekend. (see below) Wondering what glue might work best?

Clamping the bathroom edge down is going to be a real pain due to the corner and tight space with the shower and fear of cracking the sink - I may just have to hold it on myself so I'm hoping for something that sets fast.

Bathroom-

Kitchen- has a few of these gaps around the perimeter of the island

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

Our new Passport has the same issue. Not enough to warrant a trip back to the dealer, but an issue nonetheless. It isn't bad enough yet for me to address it.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
berg

Doesn't take much water in there for the damage to start with the particle board expanding... One good round of rambunctious kids brushing teeth could do it.

I normally like Gorilla glue for this kind of thing but don't want to wait forever for it to setup. Plus it expands. Need something better/faster/thinner???
Old 05-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

How about 5 minute epoxy? Or is that too long?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Bob Landry

Contact cement is what is used for laying laminate. Keep in mind that the manufacturers used the cheapest material they could get for the countertops, usually particle board, which becomes very unhappy when it gets wet, and immediately begins to come apart and retains moisture.

If I were going to go to the trouble of a repair, I would remove the sink, remove the existing countertop and use it for a pattern and make something out of good.plywood. If you want to start from scratch, you can even get the exact countertop laminate used in your decor. I ordered some for a countertop extension I'm building.

If you cut through the bead of silicone around the sink edge with a razor knife, it should come right out. There may be some fasteners underneath holding it down, but it's not going to be anything time consuming. Remember, time was money when they built these trailers.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
jsmith948

We had a very small (about 3/4 in) spot on our galley counter that had the same problem. We used the gel type super glue and had good results. You are right about trying to get a clamp to hold. Just held the molding in place by hand until the super glue set. (Don't glue your fingers to the counter). If you are afraid to use the super glue - the epoxy, as suggested, will work also.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
berg

I'm liking the gel glue idea. We just took this thing home from the dealer in April so there's no way I'm going to go tearing anything apart and rebuilding it better at my expense.

Little things, quick fixes, or improvements sure - but not big(ger) things! At least not until the extended warranty is up.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
theeyres

I'd go with gel super glue. Just make sure it's the gel and it says it's for wood. Regular thin super glue probably won't work. If you get a little on the counter it should clean up with finger nail polish remover. Or you can buy specific super glue cleaner.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
Bob Landry

I don't understand all of the different suggestions for laminate glue unless they are simply posts for the sake of posts.. Contact cement is the industry accepted adhesive for laying/attaching laminate countertops and trim. Any pre-fab or custom countertops that you buy and are covered with laminate such as Formica or Wilson Art are going to be glued using it. There are water based versions out now that don't give you the "high" from the fumes that the older stuff did. Just curious if any of you guys have ever actually laid laminate using super glue or Gorilla glue or, are these just shots from the hip.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
jsmith948

Well, Bob, I can't speak for anyone else. My post was in response to the OP's question about what to use to repair the edge molding on his sink counter. No, I have never used gel super glue to lay laminate. I have, as posted, repaired the molding on our galley counter using the super glue. It was what we had on hand and it worked.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
crohill

on my outside kitchen I covered all exposed particle board with KILZ paint. then I ever so slightly pried back the edging to expose a tiny gap and put a bead of outdoor weatherproof silicone then gently pounded the trim back in with a rubber mallet, that should keep accidental spills out. wasn't too worried inside..the inside will not be exposed to any kind of water for long periods of time and any spill would be cleaned up quick enough. If the kids decide to ruin it somehow I will just take it out of their college fund if I am past my warranty date.

2014 Keystone Passport 2920BH

2005 GMC Yukon 5.3L 3.42 ratio with trans cool and
Heavy Duty Tow Package

Pro Series WD Hitch with Dual Sway Bars.

Previous trailer was 2006 Fleetwood Orbit hybrid 20'
crohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
BulletOwner1

I will caveat my response, for Bob's sake, in saying I'm not a laminate expert. But I'm sure that there are a lot of us that have found "unconventional" ways of solving life's problems that work quite satisfactorily. And sometimes, not so good .

But let me ask one question. Is the counter top coming up or the edging? Contact cement is the standard glue for formica. In my limited experience, you apply to both sides, let it "dry" and then put in place. The bond is instant and I don't think it needs clamping. For the edging, if that's coming apart, can you use the adhesive of your choice and run a bar clamp across the counter to the other side?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
berg

In this case it was just the edging - the counter surface is good. Other side of the counter is flush up against the wall so no clamping option there. It had to be vice grip fingers for this one.

Since the gap is pretty narrow I was concerned about making a goopy mess with contact cement. The super glue worked well - was able to flow it down into the gaps, press in and hold, realize I can't reach my beer, watch the clock patiently for a minute, then release, grab beer, and admire. I can't say how long this bond will hold but we'll see.