Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Donkey teeth

An unwanted surprise!

I was de-winterizing the Outback for our maiden voyage. We had recently purchased a previously owned 2013 210RS, and it had been winterized. The dealer must have blown out all the fluids, and not decided to add anti-freeze to the TT, because all the drains were open.
The cap for the grey and black was still on, and I removed the cap and put a bucket under the drain, thinking there might be some antifreeze in the system. Well...much to my surprise, when I opened the black tank...lets just say it wasn't antifreeze! My guess is the previous owner didn't empty the black tank prior to trading the TT in, either that or the dealer wanted to give us a freebie!
The sewer clean out drain for the house was only 2 feet away, so I didn't have to bring it into the house to get rid of it!
Luckkily, I have a strong stomach....
Donkey teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
mom2budnbug

All I can say is, "Yuck!"

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
Kristi

Ewwwwww! At least you had the bucket.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Andymon

Our black and grey were about half full when we bought our TT.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
So Cal CPA

This happened to me in a different way.

You know when you buy bags of chips or other food in bags at sea level, then go camping at high altitude, they build pressure inside the bag? Well apparently the same happens with your camper's dumping system.

Went up to Shaver Lake a few weeks ago. After a few days of camping I went to dump the waste water and for some reason the cap on the main drain pipe was really tight.....then BAM!!!! AN EXPLOSION OF HIGH POO PRESSURE!

Luckily it was only residue from last time I emptied the tanks, but still, off to the showers I went just to be sure there was no poo anywhere on my body.

How does one avoid this in the future? You can't travel with the cap off and I am not going to stop every 1,000 feet of elevation change just to equalize the pressure.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
crohill

HIGH POO PRESSURE...that sounds BAD!!!! I would have lit the dealer up..they should flush out every black tank that they plan to sell. You could have put it in a bucket and brought it to the dealer and set it on their front step!

2014 Keystone Passport 2920BH

2005 GMC Yukon 5.3L 3.42 ratio with trans cool and
Heavy Duty Tow Package

Pro Series WD Hitch with Dual Sway Bars.

Previous trailer was 2006 Fleetwood Orbit hybrid 20'
crohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
ctpd814

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal CPA View Post

You know when you buy bags of chips or other food in bags at sea level, then go camping at high altitude, they build pressure inside the bag? Well apparently the same happens with your camper's dumping system.

Went up to Shaver Lake a few weeks ago. After a few days of camping I went to dump the waste water and for some reason the cap on the main drain pipe was really tight.....then BAM!!!! AN EXPLOSION OF HIGH POO PRESSURE!

Luckily it was only residue from last time I emptied the tanks, but still, off to the showers I went just to be sure there was no poo anywhere on my body.

How does one avoid this in the future? You can't travel with the cap off and I am not going to stop every 1,000 feet of elevation change just to equalize the pressure.
I would add one of these:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868

It will not stop the pressure from building up but you will be able to travel with the cap on and will be able to control the release of the pressure after hooking the hose up.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Pmedic4

Quote:
. . . . the waste water and for some reason the cap on the main drain pipe was really tight.....then BAM!!!! AN EXPLOSION OF HIGH POO PRESSURE!

Festus2, JRTJH or one of the other Senior guys may want to weigh in on this, but in my humble opinion, it means you have a problem with your waste vent. For your toilet to flush and drain properly, there is a vent on top of your RV that lets fluid run into the BW tank. There specifically are vent 'caps' that help pull the smelly air up and away from the toilet, because these vents are usually so low they don't necessarily get a good draft to pull the stink away. Here's one from Camping World:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...wer-vent/31992
There is a video in this link, that shows how the tank is vented.

Possibly, the only other thing I could think of is that there was simply enough poo left in the short section of pipe from the BW valve to the cap and the rest of the dump lines and their valves to decay and build up that much pressure - possible in Southern CA in the heat. If this was/is the case, probably a good reason to follow the common practice of dumping in the order of BW tank, then GW tank(s), to flush the poo out of the waste pipe and your dump hose. I was surprised last week to see someone just opened all 3 valves at the dump station simultaneously. Probably works most the time, but not my practice.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
LuvsPalmTrees

My darling husband has always dumped black then grey. He said this way nothing gets stuck in the waste pipe. He also will put a couple of gallons of water and toilet treatment in the BW tank so it sloshes around and gets anything stuck in there to dissolve.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
ctpd814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
Festus2, JRTJH or one of the other Senior guys may want to weigh in on this, but in my humble opinion, it means you have a problem with your waste vent. For your toilet to flush and drain properly, there is a vent on top of your RV that lets fluid run into the BW tank. There specifically are vent 'caps' that help pull the smelly air up and away from the toilet, because these vents are usually so low they don't necessarily get a good draft to pull the stink away. Here's one from Camping World:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...wer-vent/31992
There is a video in this link, that shows how the tank is vented.

Possibly, the only other thing I could think of is that there was simply enough poo left in the short section of pipe from the BW valve to the cap and the rest of the dump lines and their valves to decay and build up that much pressure - possible in Southern CA in the heat. If this was/is the case, probably a good reason to follow the common practice of dumping in the order of BW tank, then GW tank(s), to flush the poo out of the waste pipe and your dump hose. I was surprised last week to see someone just opened all 3 valves at the dump station simultaneously. Probably works most the time, but not my practice.
The pressure build up is in sewer line itself. The valve is shut and the cap is put on after dumping at a lower altitude. As you climb in altitude, the outside pressure decreases. The air that is sealed in the sewer line becomes slightly pressurized. When you try to take the cap off it releases the pressure build up in the line. The sewer line is separated from the tank and the vent by the valve.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
Pmedic4

Pressure in the sewer line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpd814 View Post
The pressure build up is in sewer line itself. The valve is shut and the cap is put on after dumping at a lower altitude. As you climb in altitude, the outside pressure decreases. The air that is sealed in the sewer line becomes slightly pressurized. When you try to take the cap off it releases the pressure build up in the line. The sewer line is separated from the tank and the vent by the valve.
I could see the pressure building up in that section of waste drain line, but, the original poster said he was covered in 'poo', and I can't image there would be that much poo in the sewer line between the valve and cap. Especially if you had rinsed the waste line with GW flush after you did the BW drainage.
Even then, the pressure differential between sea level pressure, and pressure at 5,000 feet is only about 2 to 2.5 PSI, which isn't very much. If you would take the RV up to the highest paved road in California, it would be only about 4 PSI differential. That could probably be enough, but still, where did the poo and liquid come from if the valve is closed?

2017 Cougar 333MKS

Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
So Cal CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I could see the pressure building up in that section of waste drain line, but, the original poster said he was covered in 'poo', and I can't image there would be that much poo in the sewer line between the valve and cap. Especially if you had rinsed the waste line with GW flush after you did the BW drainage.
Even then, the pressure differential between sea level pressure, and pressure at 5,000 feet is only about 2 to 2.5 PSI, which isn't very much. If you would take the RV up to the highest paved road in California, it would be only about 4 PSI differential. That could probably be enough, but still, where did the poo and liquid come from if the valve is closed?
I am not the OP but I can only tell you that I think the pressure was between the valves and the cap. To that end, I can't tell you why there was enough residue sitting at the cap to literally pop when I opened and get splashed with whatever was there.

I always drain black tank first then the grey tank. Perhaps the time between shutting the valves and the putting the cap on was not sufficient enough to allow full drainage of the pipes??? I also may have left the black tank valve open until such time as a shut ALL tank valves... Don't know really, just sharing my experience.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Pmedic4

Only a little....

Quote:
I am not the OP but I can only tell you that I think the pressure was between the valves and the cap. To that end, I can't tell you why there was enough residue sitting at the cap to literally pop when I opened and get splashed with whatever was there.
As a former Paramedic, when it's poo, I agree it doesn't take much to make you feel squeamish. And there are some real stinky ones!

Good to hear though it's only between the valves and cap, because that was my concern. I had one that was slightly leaky - so everytime I opened the cap some ran out, but at least I wasn't sprayed. Guess the leaky valve would somewhat limit the pressure.

2017 Cougar 333MKS