Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Steve S

Placement of water filter

Hi, I bought a water filter and I finally found some time to install it.
My question is where do you guys put yours? Do you install it under the sink or just after the pump?
The next question is will the filter affect the water pressure at all?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-09 20.07.02.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	5363  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Little Guy

Our filter is installed under the sink and it can be a pain to replace…not to mention expensive. I now use an external filter at the water supply inlet as it is so much easier to change out and they are a little less expensive than the under sink cartridges. As the filter nears the end of its useful life, you may experience a decrease in water flow as the sediment builds up.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
gwbillett

We have always used the outside filter and it works perfect and usually last a season for us. Simple to take on and off and you dont have to worry about water in the camper
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Steve S

I can put it under the sink, very little room but can I run the hot water line through it as well?
At the pump end I would have to do some mods then just have the cold going through it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I can put it under the sink, very little room but can I run the hot water line through it as well?
At the pump end I would have to do some mods then just have the cold going through it.
I think that hot water filters are different and more expense because of the heat involved. I looked at adding one to my whole-house humidifier and it was pretty expensive.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
cabinfever

Running hot water through the filter will decrease its effectiveness. We also have our filter outside after our water pressure regulator. I have a dual canister, 1 micron sediment cartridge and a .5 micron fiber block carbon cartridge. One thing I do whenever we get back from a trip is connect to city water and flush everything.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

You can't run both hot and cold water through the same filter. If you do, you'll have two inputs (H & C), "Tee'd" to one input at the filter inlet and only one output to the faucet. You won't be able to control the water temperature because both faucets would have to be connected to the "single output" from the filter.

If you want to filter both the hot and cold with one filter, you'd have to do it either just after the pump (with a single filter) located before the supply splits to hot/cold, or you'd have to have two filters, one for the hot supply and one for the cold supply located just before the water enters the faucet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
thewhitehat

I have an eternal filter attached to the incoming water line. Can I just plug both ends and store in the refrigerator when not in use?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehat View Post
I have an eternal filter attached to the incoming water line. Can I just plug both ends and store in the refrigerator when not in use?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
If it's going to be only a few days, shake it empty, store it in a plastic ziplock bag in the refrigerator. If it's going to be more than a few days but less than a month, empty it, pour a little Clorox water (1 tablespoon to 2 cups of water) into it, let it stand for an hour, shake it empty again and store in the refrigerator in a ziplock bag. If it's longer than a month, use the Clorox, make sure it's empty, then store in the freezer in a ziplock bag. Be careful and don't store it in the freezer if there's water in it, it may rupture the container.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You can't run both hot and cold water through the same filter. If you do, you'll have two inputs (H & C), "Tee'd" to one input at the filter inlet and only one output to the faucet. You won't be able to control the water temperature because both faucets would have to be connected to the "single output" from the filter.

If you want to filter both the hot and cold with one filter, you'd have to do it either just after the pump (with a single filter) located before the supply splits to hot/cold, or you'd have to have two filters, one for the hot supply and one for the cold supply located just before the water enters the faucet.
Yes you're very right, I can't run the hot and cold through the same filter. I meant to say through two of them, this will learn me to once again not type while I'm on the phone
So far everyone is against running hot water through a filter. Now does anyone have a filter like the one I posted in the pic and where in the trailer do you have it?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
GaryWT

We use an inline on the outside. Hose to filter to 90 degree and in. We find that it does lower the water flow.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Terry W.

I plumped in a 10" filter on the incomming water inlet. If i could figure out how to there is a picture of it in my profile. I drain it if we are not going camping for 30 days or more. Works great.Click image for larger version

Name:	080.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	5376
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
bsmith0404

use the external filter on the supply hose as well. It does lower the water pressure a bit. I prefer this method because it filters the water before it enters any of the components in my RV, such as the hot water heater, reducing sediments in the system and hopefully prolonging the life of them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
LZScout

In 4 days of use at Lake Shetek SP, MN, we totally plugged our incoming water filter. When I removed the cartridge, it was full of orange sediment. It totally saved my water system. A must have, I believe.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote