Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Rick

Bedroom Reading Light

As we have no bed area over-our-heads reading lights (there is the standard in-your-eyes overhead light), I've been on the search for some. I was looking for one that either had a gooseneck, or rotated for adjustment. Since our heads lie against an outside wall, I didn't want to try and fish wire through the wall and hit the framing studs, so that meant it would have to be battery powered. Found a couple online, but nothing that I liked. But then I found this-

It's called a "Silver High Output Battery Powered LED Spot Light". It's a little 3 AA powered LED light. It rotates 360 degrees, and the head swivels almost 180 degrees. The base is about 3.5" wide and about 3.5" high. Per the specs- "High-output white LED (total 1 watt) / 75 lumens / Comparable to a 12 watt incandescent / 7000K color temperature (cool blue-me) / Optional screw mount bracket." It also comes with a round hook and loop pad with a sticky backing if you don't want to use the screws. The pad fits inside the smaller round circle. In addition, the light also rotates on the mounting plate. So, you can attach the mounting plate in any direction, then snap the light onto the plate. From there you can rotate the light unit so the switch is oriented in any direction...Up, down or sideways. Once that's set, then you can position the light to what's best for you.

I have to say that it's bright! One great thing about it is that the light output is dimmable. Press the on/off button and it's on full. Press and hold the button, and it begins to dim. Release when you get the level you like. If you press and hold without releasing, it'll come on, then dim, then go bright again. For us it's almost perfect. Not too crazy about the silver, so I think I'll paint it an interior matching color. I bought these online for $15 each at one of the large LAMPS companies, PLUS, it came with free shipping!

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Steve S

Great find I checked on ebay and the company makes a few different ones that look pretty good.
I just finished installing remote led's in all the cupboards and closets which sure do help
Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Kristi

I wonder if the base could be mounted to the outside of the trailer, to light up the grill area, then the light detached during travel?

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
I wonder if the base could be mounted to the outside of the trailer, to light up the grill area, then the light detached during travel?
Yes, you can. Here's the light Command Stripped to the bottom of a shelf. You can see the thin mounting plate-

Here's the mounting plate on the bottom of the shelf-

And here's the bottom of the lamp base. You can see the battery cover-

The base easily snaps on and off of the plate. Since I've attached the plate semi-permanently with the Command Strips, I can't use the light on any other wall. I can set it on a table, etc. and use it. If I'd used the velcro to attach the plate to the wall, then all I'd have to do is put more velcro on any wall and I could switch it around all I'd like.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote