Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
redlacm

redlacm

I have been noticing a sulpher like smell coming from the cold water tap in the bathroom basin. Different parks and water source the smell is always coming back.
I have mentioned it to other campers with keystone units and they also have a similar problem.
anyone notice this and if so how do you get rid of it

thanks
Redlacm
redlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure why you would smell a sulphur odor in the cold water lines, but there is a known issue with the hot water lines. It may be that you're smelling the "left over" odor from the hot water ???? Anyway, here is what Suburban has to say about it in the owner's manual:

ODOR FROM HOT WATER SYSTEM
Odor from the hot water system is not a service problem and many water supplies contain sufficient amounts of sulphur to produce an odor. The odor is similar to rotten eggs and is often referred to as "sulphur water". It is not harmful - only unpleasant to smell. Sulphur water can be caused by a chemical action or by bacteria. The solution to eliminate is chlorination of the water system. Add about six (6) ounces of chlorinated common household liquid bleach to each 10 gallons in the water tank. Then run the chlorinated water throughout the system,
opening each faucet one at a time until you smell the chlorine. Let the RV sit for a few days and the chlorine should take care of the problem. Then you will need to take care of the chlorine. Remove the chlorine by flushing the system with fresh water. This may take several attempts. You may consider adding a filtering system that removes chlorine and prevents sulphur water. If the sulphur or rotten egg smell continues, flush the system once again as described above and replace anode rod as necessary.

Hope this helps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
WaltBennett

We had this occur once in or old TT (wasn't a Keystone product), and I had to do the same as what the above post said. I really think it happened because we've well water (no treatment, just natural) and I'd left the fresh tank about 1/2 full for a couple months in the summer. Everything cleaned up OK and even now I try to remember to add about a cup or so of bleach every time I fill our Monty at home. Not had that problem since.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Dave & SUe

I am by trade a water well guy.30 years of doing pump work and drilling wells.Most of the problem with the"sulfur"smell is actually a combination of iron and maganeese in the water.The combo is very prevalent in well water.Chlorine will take care of it.Wont hurt you any way.The anode rod in the hot water tank will really make the water stink.On a house heater you can buy a different style rod,but I don't think they make a smaller version.
Dave & SUe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & SUe View Post
I am by trade a water well guy.30 years of doing pump work and drilling wells.Most of the problem with the"sulfur"smell is actually a combination of iron and maganeese in the water.The combo is very prevalent in well water.Chlorine will take care of it.Wont hurt you any way.The anode rod in the hot water tank will really make the water stink.On a house heater you can buy a different style rod,but I don't think they make a smaller version.
Just out of curiosity how and why can the anode rod make the water stink? Does the set high temp on the the water tank have anything to do with it?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
Dave & SUe

No not the heat really,just a chemical reaction to the anode rod and the water.Don't really know why,it just does.
Dave & SUe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
WaltBennett

This may be what's happening with some, but my experience was with cold water as well as hot, and I'm not certain the heater in or old TT even had an anode - certainly not like the one in our Monty.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

When water sits in the Hot Water Heater, bacteria in it produce a waste product that produces the sulfur smell. The "galvanic process" of the anode rod makes the conversion to hydrogen sulfide occur faster. Water sitting in the fresh water tank will eventually produce the "sulfur smell" if there is no chlorine in the water. It simply occurs faster in the Hot Water Heater.

That's the reason for treating the entire water system as per the Suburban instructions listed in my previous post in this thread. You may not notice it in the cold water taps, but if your water sits in the fresh water tank long enough, you will eventually smell it there also.

Here is a link to a plumbing supply company that explains it in some detail:

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote