Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
jerseyphil

Polar Package PLUS

Two weeks ago, at the RV show in Hershey, PA, I picked up a new Cougar brochure that shows Cougars now have Polar Package PLUS, which they claim was tested and effective to ZERO degrees.

Was it included on 2010 models? The new brochure doesn't have a date on it, but I'm guessing it is 2011 models, since 2011's are already out.

Does anyone know when this upgrade started?

Thanks, Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
kenn209

My 318SAB has it. And its a 2010. Have you bought yours yet?
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
jerseyphil

Polar Package PLUS

No. I haven't purchased mine yet. Just getting a few details out of the way. Received my new 3/4 ton truck on 9/3. Had a slider hitch installed. Removed the hitch. Had Line-X sprayed into the bed. Went to the RV show in Hershey, PA where I saw a new 318SAB..... Love it!! Next day, my wife and I went to Maine for 10 days. We go every year about this time. My wife has relatives there.

Now, I will re-install my hitch and buy a Bed Cover. I researched so many covers. Everyone will give a different opinion, and have their preferences. For me, critical was my hitch being secure (no canvas), and 5th wheel functional without removing the bed cover. So, that meant either a roll-up type, (didn't like the canister taking up space), or a flip-type.

Bak-Flip folds up against the rear window (don't like that). Leaving the last flip down would interfere with the 5th wheel. A product called Fold-a-Cover G4 elite has 4 panels. All folded up on the last panel, the 5th wheel (they claim) will easily clear. And, the front panel can be lifted the toward the rear to access items under the first panel. I am going to see one on a Ford F-150 on Thursday.

If all goes well, within a few weeks, I should have a bed cover. THEN, my wife and I will look for a good price on the 318. We are retired, so we can travel wherever it is. Hopefully, within a couple of months, we will have ours.

Thanks for the info on your 2010 having the Polar Package Plus.

Regards,
Phil (sorry for the long-winded reply)!!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I don't care how many pluses they put after Polar Package, unless your furnace is running, your pipes will freeze at 0°F. Below 0° you need skirting and some form of heat to dump-valves and pipes away from furnace. If they can't get adequate heat to a fifth-wheel bed-room through a 3" vent, how much heat will get to the under-belly through a 2" flex line??? Is it obvious that I'm skeptical about this claim??? JM2¢, Hank ..... Ahhhh! maybe it was tested to 0°C.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
kenn209

Agree, just another gimick to get you to buy there camper... I just hope its warmer than our previous Jayco which didn't have an enclosed underbelly. We camped in about 32 degree weather last winter and froze our butts off!! And that was with the tent end closed. We didn't hook up the water that weekend either. We are aware of the lack of heat to the front bedroom and have a space heater just for that purpose. Why use my propane when I can use the campground electric to heat the camper.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
Ruffus

Talking Heat

I must be about the luckiest Keystone owner around. Other than a couple small problems like a leaky toilet flush valve, a slide that sticks from time to time, and some start up problems which they fixed my heater works great (knock on wood).
Our 38 footer has an Extreme Thermal Package, what ever that is since it was bought in Florida, but the heater will raise the coach temp about 10 degrees in about 15 minutes. The bedroom has no vent but it's just out side the door in the hallway. Who wants a hot bedroom anyhow? A warm fleece blanket and soft pillow I could sleep all day if I didn't need my coffee at 5:00 am. If the weather looks like it's going to get down in the teens then I screwed up and should have went farther South, wait a minute, I'm retired, and can pick up and go farther South anytime. "Life is Great".
Sorry guys, I just had to put my 2cnt's worth in there. (Currently sitting in Kansas, Westward bound then South Bound and Down)
Jim B
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
I must be about the luckiest Keystone owner around. Other than a couple small problems like a leaky toilet flush valve, a slide that sticks from time to time, and some start up problems which they fixed my heater works great (knock on wood).
Our 38 footer has an Extreme Thermal Package, what ever that is since it was bought in Florida, but the heater will raise the coach temp about 10 degrees in about 15 minutes. The bedroom has no vent but it's just out side the door in the hallway. Who wants a hot bedroom anyhow? A warm fleece blanket and soft pillow I could sleep all day if I didn't need my coffee at 5:00 am. If the weather looks like it's going to get down in the teens then I screwed up and should have went farther South, wait a minute, I'm retired, and can pick up and go farther South anytime. "Life is Great".
Sorry guys, I just had to put my 2cnt's worth in there. (Currently sitting in Kansas, Westward bound then South Bound and Down)
Jim B

Ruffus,
Your comments are always welcome. My wife and are are retired as well and looking forward to RVing very soon. Got my truck, will soon have my RV. Life IS great........ We are extremely lucky and appreciative!!

Phil
Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
campingcpl

Our camper has the Polar Package and it's a 2009. We go to northern South Dakota a couple times a year to see family and have stayed up there into late October. Last fall when we were there the temps never got over 35 degress and snowed 3 out of the 5 days we were there. Since they were in the process of shutting off the water when we got there we had to fill our fresh water tank. We then wraped the termination valve with some heat tape and a little insulation and we didn't have any problems with anything freezing up. We didn't run any additional heaters other then the trailers and we stayed pretty comfortable.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote