Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
59kaddy

Battery Charging

Can anyone answer this question?

will the batteries charge if the 12V disconnect is off? the disconnect shuts everything off drawing from the batteries, does that mean they wont charge if I am plugged into shore power or hooked up to my truck?

2013 384PK Raptor
hope you can help,

Kaddy
59kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59kaddy View Post
Can anyone answer this question?

will the batteries charge if the 12V disconnect is off? the disconnect shuts everything off drawing from the batteries, does that mean they wont charge if I am plugged into shore power or hooked up to my truck?

2013 384PK Raptor
hope you can help,

Kaddy
If you shut off the battery switch, you disconnect them from all the other circuitry including the convertor/charger and the charge line from the tow vehicle. With the batteries shut off, they will not charge up. They must be on. If you have dual batteries and want to charge both of them, the switch must be in the A+B or Both position for the same reasons.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
59kaddy

thank you for the answer.........it wasnt the answer I was hoping for but probably guessed that it would be this way.

why would the manufacturer do that? does it not make sense that when I am towing or just plugged in to shore power that all electrical is off while trying to charge rather than all electrical being on and draining as we charge?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
does it not make sense that when I am towing or just plugged in to shore power that all electrical is off while trying to charge rather than all electrical being on and draining as we charge?
Not sure if I fully understand your question but ..........

As Steve pointed out in his post, when the battery is disconnected via the switch, it is in effect, completely isolated from the rest of the circuits. No current/voltage is coming in and nothing is going out. Your battery can't be charged either by the TV or by shore power.

When towing, you should ensure that your breakaway switch can still be activated; and if you disconnect the battery, there will be no current going to this switch resulting in a "dead" breakaway switch. So, before you take off, just make sure that the battery disconnect switch is in the right position enabling your battery to be charged by the TV while underway.

If you want your battery to be charged by the converter/shore power, then you also need to ensure that the battery disconnect switch is turned to the correct position.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
why would the manufacturer do that? does it not make sense that when I am towing or just plugged in to shore power that all electrical is off while trying to charge rather than all electrical being on and draining as we charge?
Unless you left all the lights on, what would be draining so much that has you worried? Normal vampire drains are usually just the propane detector and the back light on the am/fm. The fridge will pull a tiny bit if you travel with it on as will the water heater. I don't see any significant "drains" in those items that is not more than compensated for by the charge line from the truck.

These electrical systems are designed to be fully operational all the time with the batteries online. Charging takes place when connected to the shoreline which powers the convertor which charges the batteries. It also takes place when you plug in the 7 pin for towing. Unplug the charging source and the batteries continue to power the system uninterrupted and pretty much invisible. It is the way it is supposed to be.

Many of us use battery switches to completely disengage the batteries for storage or repairs. But they are not a necessity. You can disconnect the ground at the battery to shut it down for storage or repairs almost as easily.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
59kaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Unless you left all the lights on, what would be draining so much that has you worried? Normal vampire drains are usually just the propane detector and the back light on the am/fm. The fridge will pull a tiny bit if you travel with it on as will the water heater. I don't see any significant "drains" in those items that is not more than compensated for by the charge line from the truck.

These electrical systems are designed to be fully operational all the time with the batteries online. Charging takes place when connected to the shoreline which powers the convertor which charges the batteries. It also takes place when you plug in the 7 pin for towing. Unplug the charging source and the batteries continue to power the system uninterrupted and pretty much invisible. It is the way it is supposed to be.

Many of us use battery switches to completely disengage the batteries for storage or repairs. But they are not a necessity. You can disconnect the ground at the battery to shut it down for storage or repairs almost as easily.

forgot to turn off the battery disconnect for one week while unit was in storage and both batteries went dead. the stereo system in this unit has a display screen which cannot be turned off and is drawing the power.

just have to get into the habit of making sure the disconnect gets turned off everytime it goes into storage.

thanks for your help.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
59kaddy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Not sure if I fully understand your question but ..........

As Steve pointed out in his post, when the battery is disconnected via the switch, it is in effect, completely isolated from the rest of the circuits. No current/voltage is coming in and nothing is going out. Your battery can't be charged either by the TV or by shore power.

When towing, you should ensure that your breakaway switch can still be activated; and if you disconnect the battery, there will be no current going to this switch resulting in a "dead" breakaway switch. So, before you take off, just make sure that the battery disconnect switch is in the right position enabling your battery to be charged by the TV while underway.

If you want your battery to be charged by the converter/shore power, then you also need to ensure that the battery disconnect switch is turned to the correct position.
thank you......................I think I wont forget to turn it off when it gets into storage ever again.

I'll figure a way of wiring it so it can be charged by TV or shore power but still have NO POWER leaving the battery while the battery disconnect is off.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
forgot to turn off the battery disconnect for one week while unit was in storage and both batteries went dead. the stereo system in this unit has a display screen which cannot be turned off and is drawing the power.

just have to get into the habit of making sure the disconnect gets turned off everytime it goes into storage.

thanks for your help.
There are other vampire drains like the propane detector. Unless you pull the fuses or install switches, they're things we have to learn to live with and compensate for as needed. Check your manual on the stereo. Most of them have a method of turning the display or back light off.

But storage is the one situation where you want to completely shut the system down by disconnecting the batteries or switching them off.

We have to store our trailer away from our home so when I park it there, the last thing I do is shut down the batteries and lock that compartment. When I get it out of storage, I have to turn on the batteries so that I can retract the landing gear when I hookup.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
dpkimmel2001

Quote:
I have a stereo system in my Raptor that sounds similar. I found that if you press and hold the 'SOURCE' button, it will shut down. Press it again and it'll turn back on. If you have the same button give it a shot. It may work for you?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Retired CSIGuy

What's the deal?

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish. If you just want the batt. to stay up in storage with no power to anything in the rig, discon the neg cable and stick a good trickle charger on the batt. Simple. If you're wandering whether the batt charges when you're hauling or when you're plugged in to SP, it does. You DONT want to discon the batt when your traveling or your frig, 12v pump, and emergency stop switch no-workie, and that could be....unpleasant.
Yamaha RSV-S
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote