Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
suza

Question Anyone camped at Silver Falls, Oregon SP

Planning a trip North in September. Hope to visit Silver Falls State Park, east of Salem. Would appreciate any feedback from members who have camped there. I have lived in Oregon most of my life (my husband all of his) and we have never been to the park. It looks beautiful. Wondering if the stream that runs through the park is suitable for smooth water kayaking?

Also plan to take in Foster Lake (Sunnyside Park) and either Detroit Lake or Corvallis KOA (for kayaking on the Willamette River).

Hope you all are having a great Summer
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Camped at Silver Falls 3 times. I believe the creek is to small, unless in the swiming area. You might phone them to be sure. Lots of hiking and some areas to bicycle. At Detroit, it is a large body of water and the times I have been there the water got real rough every afternoon. There is a floating restroom near the island. The water was so rough it was difficult to stand/walk on it much less use it. I always stay at the State Park. I wanted to go to Detroit this summer with both boat and trailer for afew days (2 trips) my wife will not pull either. But home inprovement projects are taking up most of the summer and money. Timothy lake near Mt. Hood maybe a place we get to. The lake is limited to 10mph for all boats. Makes it nice for the smaller water craft and no PWCs racing about. You can paddle across and back in acouple hours. Hiking around the lake I believe is about 20 miles. PGE has 3 campgrounds there.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
suza

Silver Falls SP sounds perfect. From what you say about Detroit Lake, I think we might head back to Corvallis and do some paddling on the Willamette and Kalapooya Rivers.

Do you know anyone who has stayed at Sunnyside County Park on Foster Lake?

Thanks for the great info.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
crash

Looks like a nice place to stay.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Timothy lake near Mt. Hood maybe a place we get to. The lake is limited to 10mph for all boats. Makes it nice for the smaller water craft and no PWCs racing about. You can paddle across and back in acouple hours. Hiking around the lake I believe is about 20 miles. PGE has 3 campgrounds there.
Thanks for the mention of Timothy Lake. Did some research and this looks like a great place. Might try to fit it into our trek North.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Suza, I think you know about all the water falls at Silver Falls. If not the trails are easy, It takes afew hours to see all of them. There is a visitor center with all the infor about them. The movie The Hunted filmed some scenes there. I was asked to be a officer in a chase scene. The directer came to the office and hired about 10 cops to drive like cops for the scene. He wanted us for 10 hours and paid 200. It was to happen on my day off and I got paged out alot working OT so I did not do it accept. My sons were bumed out when I told them. All that was shown was the cars, none of the drivers anyway.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
theeyres

Silver Falls is a beautiful place and well worth a visit. You certainly won't be kayaking unless you want to go over a bunch of falls in a small creek! But don't miss it.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
MIKEPATC

You can find reviews on most any place here : http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
dandjh1958

Silver Falls is about 40 minutes from our house. We camp there mid week just to get away. It's a beautiful campground and very well kept.
Trails to the waterfalls are fairly easy (some easier than others).
It has cabins that are warm and cozy in the winter. No sewer hookups that I remember. I haven't pulled the big TT up there yet but took our popup there all the time.
The Silverton reservoir is the hot spot for swimming and kayaking but it's real small and shallow.
Detriot is OK but too crowded for my tastes. A lot of boaters so we tend to kayak off season (after schools in and before they start dropping the water).
Sunnyside is a great place to stay but it doesn't have that many shade trees but we stay there a lot so we can kayak up the fingers by the campground.
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
suza

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEPATC View Post
You can find reviews on most any place here : http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
Thanks for the link. I hadn't found this site yet. Will certainly come in handy in our quest for places to stay.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
suza

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjh1958 View Post
Silver Falls is about 40 minutes from our house. We camp there mid week just to get away. It's a beautiful campground and very well kept.
Trails to the waterfalls are fairly easy (some easier than others).
It has cabins that are warm and cozy in the winter. No sewer hookups that I remember. I haven't pulled the big TT up there yet but took our popup there all the time.
The Silverton reservoir is the hot spot for swimming and kayaking but it's real small and shallow.
Detriot is OK but too crowded for my tastes. A lot of boaters so we tend to kayak off season (after schools in and before they start dropping the water).
Sunnyside is a great place to stay but it doesn't have that many shade trees but we stay there a lot so we can kayak up the fingers by the campground.
Is the Silverton Reservoir close to Silver Falls SP? We were able to reserve sites at SFSP for Sept 10 & 11. Are also staying at Sunnyside a couple of days earlier. We visited it once, looking for possible camping sites and, as you state, it looks like a good place to "explore" in our kayaks.

I have also booked sites at Hoodview Campground (Timothy Lake) and Milo McIver Co Park (Estacada). We will be camping the first two weeks of September, after the summer crowds have dissipated, along with my husband's cousin and his wife (from Vancouver, WA). I'm so excited. This will be our first "big trip" with our RV.

Thanks for your input I'll report back on our trip. Maybe some pictures.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
dandjh1958

Yes its close but you have to drive to it. Probably 5-10 minutes away.(towards the town of Silverton) Again, it's small but it is good enough to get your kayak fix in for the day!
Sounds like you have a full, fun trip planned.
Have fun and happy camping!
Julie (and Don)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
suza

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjh1958 View Post
Yes its close but you have to drive to it. Probably 5-10 minutes away.(towards the town of Silverton) Again, it's small but it is good enough to get your kayak fix in for the day!
Sounds like you have a full, fun trip planned.
Have fun and happy camping!
Silver Falls is our last stop on the trip. Would the reservoir be on the way so we could stop on our way out of SFSP? Does it have a day use area with room to park with RVs?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
dandjh1958

Day use yes but I wouldn't try to take a trailer through the parking lot. Its small and very busy in hot weather with all the locals going there to swim and party.
Julie (and Don)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Ken / Claudia

At McIver park the river will likely to low at that time to kayak. There is a trial along it in the park to scout it. A county ramp will afew miles down stream or other parks even further. The river at McIver has a name "The Minefield" been thru on a jet several times in high water. A nice float with kayak nearby is at North Fork res. about 20 mins drive from McIver. several miles of river with a speed limit of 10 and no jets allowed. If you drive the National Forest rd out of Timothy to McIver you will drive past it. If you want more details ask. That was my patrol area for 8 years.