Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
BOBYT1630

How long to fill it up?

My Black tank is 28 gallons. With 2 seniors, one male, one female. Normal usage, how long would it take to fill up the tank?
After 4 days of #1 only I told the wife she could use it for both 1 & 2. I had to snake the tank to clear a clog after 2 days usage by my wife only. The drain is at an angle into the tank and we can't see if there is anything in it. I need to do a through cleaning, so any advise there would also be appreciated. Main question how do you clear the dreaded "POOP Pyramid" when its not accessible. and I don't even know if it exists?

2006 Cougar 278EFS
BOBYT1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBYT1630 View Post
My Black tank is 28 gallons. With 2 seniors, one male, one female. Normal usage, how long would it take to fill up the tank?
After 4 days of #1 only I told the wife she could use it for both 1 & 2. I had to snake the tank to clear a clog after 2 days usage by my wife only. The drain is at an angle into the tank and we can't see if there is anything in it. I need to do a through cleaning, so any advise there would also be appreciated. Main question how do you clear the dreaded "POOP Pyramid" when its not accessible. and I don't even know if it exists?
We get nearly two full weeks on the black tank in a no-hook-up camping area. We try to use the CG's bathrooms in the day for some of our needs.

Dump as you normally would, and then fill the tank with water. Tow it home. The sloshing motion of the trailer should break it up. If not, dump several bags of ice cubes down the toilet and tow it some more. The ice and motion should loosen things up pretty well. Also, if you have a built-in tank rinser, liberal use of that when you dump will help keep things clean.

Get a clear connector for the trailer end of your stinky slinky. That way you can tell when your rinsing has done its job.

The key to preventing the pyramid is to initially charge the tank with enough water for things to float around in there. That way, the pile never develops. And stuff will soften and partially dissolve. Most folks have this problem because they also use too little water when flushing, probably in an effort to prolong the time between dumps. Creates more problems than it solves.

Do some searches on here as there are several threads with much more info on this topic.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The selection of type of toilet paper and the amount used also plays a significant role in how much "buildup" you get under the toilet flush valve. I'd suggest testing your toilet paper brand by putting a couple of sheets in a mayonaise jar half full of water, shake it a few times and let it sit on the counter. If the toilet paper dissolves, it's OK to use in the RV, but if it doesn't dissolve, then I'd suggest a different brand of TP.

As for amount of paper, the more you put down the toilet, the greater the possibility of building a pyramid right under the "poop chute" If you think you may be using a large amount of TP, you may consider not flushing the TP used for urination. Discard that TP in the trash and only flush TP used for other cleaning purposes. Never, NEVER dispose of cleaning wipes or sanitary napkins in the black tank !!!

As Steve said, with careful use, you should get at least a week, probably more before the tank is full. I'd suggest that when you do dump the black tank, make sure it's full. If you need to dump and it's only half full, go ahead and fill it by holding the toilet flush valve open until the tank is full. That way you'll get a better, stronger flow when empting. This will help carry more solids out of the tank. Always follow with a thorough flush either with the built in rinse valve, a hand held one or as a last resort, by filling the tank with the toilet valve.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
hankaye

BOBYT1630, Howdy;

It takes as long as it takes ..... Everyone uses differing amounts
of water and deposit differing amounts on a daily basis.
I'm a single and I'll dump mine about every 6-8 days...
There are other threads that you can find by using the search tool.
Lots of remedies, lots of opinions .....

Good luck

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
BOBYT1630

We bought the trailer used. 1st time out after only using for a 3 day weekend I was dumping the tank at the dump station and I had my wife flush and hold the flush valve open to add water while the dump valve was open and the toilet clogged. Got a plunger from the camp host and plunged it and out popped an onion peal. I know my wife did not put it down there. Have not had the problem since, until this week which a plunger wouldn't even clear it. When I dumped the tank it read 2/3rds full. I will try the Ice thing next time out. on the way to the CG. and dump when I get there. Thanks for the Help.

2006 Cougar 278EFS
BOBYT1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
mikell

To help when you know your on your way to the dump station and then home put as much water down the toilet as you can. more water and sloshing means easy cleanout. Raindrops water softerner stuff and Dawn dish soap have been known th help keep things moving. Pyramid comes from too little water
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
fla-gypsy

Add a lot of water and some fabric softener and drive around some before dumping before the next trip. A little laundry detergent can help some too.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
CincyGus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
The key to preventing the pyramid is to initially charge the tank with enough water for things to float around in there. That way, the pile never develops. And stuff will soften and partially dissolve. Most folks have this problem because they also use too little water when flushing, probably in an effort to prolong the time between dumps. Creates more problems than it solves.
X2

With just two of you, I would fill the tank nearly to 1/4 full to MAKE SURE you have plenty of water covering the bottom with your angled tank/drain and it should last you 3 weeks plus. Your clog issue is almost entirely caused by too little water in the tank in my opinion.

You don't say but make sure you are leaving your tank closed until it is nearly full before draining it if you are hooked to a sewer. Some people leave their tank drain open and the water runs out faster than the solids which causes the clogged drain issues. If your not full when you get ready to leave, fill the tank to 3/4 or more prior to dumping it to make sure you have enough water to move all the solids.

I also refill the tank once I get home to make sure any little bit of solids that might be left, don't dry out and attach to my tank. Maybe a couple mins of the toilet flushing to cover the bottom with a couple inches of water.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote