Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Tony E

Is my hot water tank suppose to have an Anode rod?

Hi everyone. This year we just got into RV'ing and its great. I was just watching a video about doing maintenance on your hot water tank and I saw the gentleman replaced his anode rod. I just winterized my RV and I took the bottom drain plug that was just a plastic drain plug out of the bottom of the hot water tank. We bought our RV used and its a 2018 Passport 239ML with a 6 gallon water tank. My question is is my water tank suppose to have an Anode rode in it and the people that owned the trailer before me took it out for some reason and just plugged up the hole or is it possible that my hot water tank does not have nor need an Anode rod? Thanks for your help as always and happy camping
Tony E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What brand is your water heater? Some don’t require an anode rod.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Tony E

I am not sure what brand name it is as it is in storage. I went on the Keystone site and it probably is an Atwood hot water tank. I never knew some have and some don't have one but i just want to make sure that if mine is suppose to have one that it gets one. I wonder how if it doesn't have an Anode rod it gets rid of all of the stuff that would normally stick to the rod?
Old 10-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Atwood water heaters do not have an anode rod. The water tank is "aluminumized" and serves as its own anode. Typically, they have a plastic tank drain plug.

Suburban water heaters do have an anode rod. The water tank is porcelain covered steel and it will corrode, so an anode rod is used to protect the steel tank. Typically, they have a steel plug with the anode rod attached.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Tony E

Well thanks chuckster and JR for the help. I guess mine is good and I don't need one. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:16 AM   #6
BrooksFam

Good info, as I was told by the dealer my HW heater didn't have an anode rod and that was news to me. I need to check this out further for my own piece of mind.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
Well thanks chuckster and JR for the help. I guess mine is good and I don't need one. Thanks again for the help.
If you bought a used trailer don't assume that because it has a plastic plug for the water heater that that water heater is an Atwood and not a Suburban.
I've seen anode rods replaced by plastic plugs and vice a versa
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
Good info, as I was told by the dealer my HW heater didn't have an anode rod and that was news to me. I need to check this out further for my own piece of mind.

In the outer compartment will be a sticker with the make/model of your water heater. You will want to jot this down as it will be needed in the event you buy replacement parts.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water