Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
Mayao

Toilet to black water tank dipstick method

I have a question. Opening the plunger in the toilet and lowering a dowel down till it bottoms out. Will that give a true reading on how much is in the black water tank. I am certain the sensors are not giving a true reading. Control center says almost full. Using the dowel it came up with about 1 inch of waste on it. It was connected to a full service site until this spring so guessing the dipstick reading is closer to the truth. Has anyone ever checked this way. Its going to be dumped this week but wondering should we empty before or after 3 days use.
Retired
Mayao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:31 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayao View Post
I have a question. Opening the plunger in the toilet and lowering a dowel down till it bottoms out. Will that give a true reading on how much is in the black water tank. I am certain the sensors are not giving a true reading. Control center says almost full. Using the dowel it came up with about 1 inch of waste on it. It was connected to a full service site until this spring so guessing the dipstick reading is closer to the truth. Has anyone ever checked this way. Its going to be dumped this week but wondering should we empty before or after 3 days use.
When it's almost full, you will know because of the gurgling you'll hear..

I put a smiley face there.. but I'm serious.. With just the DW and I we have never had to dump the black tank during even a 8 night trip.. and we never use the park facilities..
Old 10-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
When it's almost full, you will know because of the gurgling you'll hear..

I put a smiley face there.. but I'm serious.. With just the DW and I we have never had to dump the black tank during even a 8 night trip.. and we never use the park facilities..

Javi, The OP has a different trailer. Different sized black tank. Not sure your eight days applies to everyone. Our shower dumps into our black tank so we have to dump every 2-3 days. I suspect our black tank is smaller than your black tank to begin with.

The question is the stick probe for the level in the tank. I doubt a stick will go straight down into the black tank so not sure if that is any use. If you camp with the trailer for awhile, you will get a sense of when to dump as most black tank sensors are useless. There are aftermarket tank sensor systems that are much more reliable than what is provided from Keystone. They also cost more and if you are really determined, get one installed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
What do you do with your "dip stick" after withdrawing it? I wouldn't want that dripping across the floor and I certainly wouldn't store and reuse it.

Easiest way to definativly tell is to shine a flashlight ion there when you flush the toilet, at least on most units.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
rhagfo

Black tank sensors are highly unreliable, it is a fact of RV life. We dump at the first burp when flushing.
About the only time ours worked for a couple cycles was after siting for about two months with a half box of Rid-X in the tank.
Just too much work to keep them clean, burb method works for us.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Javi, The OP has a different trailer. Different sized black tank. Not sure you eight days applies to everyone. Our showed dumps into our black tank so we have to dump every 2-3 days. I suspect our black tank is smaller than your black tank to begin with.

It probably is in this trailer, but how about the'12 Passport I owned for almost 4 years.. if I remember correctly it was less than 30 gallons. This one is 49 gallons and the Cougar was I think 35 gallons... Y'all just think I'm full of crap..

The question is stick and level in the tank. I doubt a stick will go straight down into the black tank so not sure if that is any use. If you camp with the trailer for awhile, you will get a sense of when to dump as most black tank sensors are useless. There are aftermarket tank sensor systems that are much more reliable than what is provided from Keystone. They also cost more and if you are really determined, get one installed.
And on the Passport I owned; the stick would go to the bottom.. I know this because I changed out the toilet and dropped a flange bolt..
Old 10-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
Mayao

The literature says 35 gallon black water tank. I only asked because I assumed the black water tank would be below the toilet. There wasn't any elbows as it went straight down. Oh btw. Dowel In a bag and into the fire pit. Anyways I'll figure it out as time goes on. Thanks
Retired
Mayao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The literature says 35 gallon black water tank. I only asked because I assumed the black water tank would be below the toilet. There wasn't any elbows as it went straight down. Oh btw. Dowel In a bag and into the fire pit. Anyways I'll figure it out as time goes on. Thanks
No S'Mores over your campfire!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
And on the Passport I owned; the stick would go to the bottom.. I know this because I changed out the toilet and dropped a flange bolt..

Did you put a glove on when fishing around down there for the flange bolt?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Did you put a glove on when fishing around down there for the flange bolt?
No... that ain't the worst place this old country boy as stuck their arm..
Old 10-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Well, the dip stick method is really gross for the black tank, but it is the most accurate. It will work, regardless of the tank capacity.

Tags
black water tank, tank, toilet, water