Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

I have no idea who you talked to but the placard you posted list a 14" D tire @65 psi. No one that I'm aware of offers a 14" ST tire in an E rating and if they did it would require 80 psi.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
More details come to light as I dig further. The 1900# wheels that I have my eye on are rated for 65psi, where the current wheels I have are rated for 75psi (2200#). I'd rather have a 75psi wheel.

I called the manufacturer of the wheels I'm eyeing and they state that the newer industry standards of higher rated tires that manufactures are using dictate that wheels need to be rated higher, therefore updates have been made to some wheel models. Obviously my wheels are one of the models that was updated, but they are apparently waaay above what's needed for my trailer.

So, in order for me to get the higher PSI wheel, I have to either pick out a 14" wheel at 2200# (of which none really do it for me) or change to a 15" wheel which has a 2150# rating at 80psi. But then I have to change the spare as well.... and of course then it wouldn't match the certification label on the camper at that point.

What was that about a spray paint can?

Had a boat that I didn't like the wheels so had them sandblasted then primed and painted them. I rattle canned them with Rust-Oleum and worked well.....until I sold it. A lot cheaper than new wheels and tires.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #23
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have no idea who you talked to but the placard you posted list a 14" D tire @65 psi. No one that I'm aware of offers a 14" ST tire in an E rating and if they did it would require 80 psi.
I understand that. I spoke with a gentleman from Sendel Wheel. Specifically about their T03SM model. Turns out he designed the wheel I have some 15 years ago and it's been copied time and time again. I don't have a Sendel branded wheel, just a knock-off that looks like it.

I'm not looking to go to a higher PSI - I just liked the fact of a higher PSI rated wheel than 65 PSI. The OEM combination I have now is a D rated tire on a 2200# wheel with a 75 PSI rating. I'd like to stay as close to those ratings as possible. And I may not be able to, considering that what appeals to me doesn't get close enough to those ratings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelrating.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	29990  
Old 10-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #24
BAPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Without knowing the certified GAWRs as listed on the vehicle certification label, answers here would be purely speculations. In past history, Keystone would never have set your GAWRs above 2800#. Doing so would be an invitation to exceed GVWR.

Vehicle wheel and tire minimal standards for your trailer were set by Keystone and are displayed on the federal certification label. Tire industry standards (USTMA) will not support anything less than those minimums when selecting replacements.

The RVIA 10% load capacity reserves recommendation is just that, a recommendation. When applied to your trailer it only applies to GAWR certifications found on the labeling.
When I needed a Freightliner M2-106 under 19,999 GVWR (normally 33,000 lb) for a government customer, Freightliner was able to easily do it by changing to hydraulic brakes and lighter rated 19" wheels and tires. As they explained the GVWR is based on the lowest rated components. Everything else was the same. In his case it appears his new wheels and tires are still over the GVWR so something else is determining the 5,400 lb GVWR.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #25
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAPotter View Post
When I needed a Freightliner M2-106 under 19,999 GVWR (normally 33,000 lb) for a government customer, Freightliner was able to easily do it by changing to hydraulic brakes and lighter rated 19" wheels and tires. As they explained the GVWR is based on the lowest rated components. Everything else was the same. In his case it appears his new wheels and tires are still over the GVWR so something else is determining the 5,400 lb GVWR.
Wheels & ties for RV trailers are not selected to directly support the trailers GVWR. They are - by regulation - selected to support the vehicle certified GAWRs.

Everything exceeding the trailer's GVWR & GAWRs is described as "load capacity reserves".
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle