Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
P&DZ

New 6v Batteries & Solar Panel

About a month ago, on the advice of this forum, I replaced our aging & mis-matched 12v group 24 batteries with two Duracell 6v batteries. We are just returning from our first trip with no hookups, a 5 night stay in the Colorado Rockies. I thought others who have asked about solar charging capabilities might be interested.

Our set up is quite simple.
Two Duracell GC2 HPGC 6v Batteries at 230ah
One Renogy 100w solar panel with Renogy 30A PWM Wanderer controller

We are very conservative in our power usage, which includes the Frig running on propane (with Frig door heater modified and switched off), water pump, lights are all LED, CO detector, stereo off but front panel light is on. Awning was extended and retracted once each day. Furnace was set to 55 and turned on for two nights but only ran 3 to 4 times each night.

The conditions were favorable to solar charging, with a mixture of sun and clouds each day. Day time temps in the mid 70’s. Elevation at 9k feet.

I was very pleased with the performance of the combined GC2 batteries and solar charging system. The solar controller indicated the batteries were in “float mode” by mid afternoon each day. I took a voltage reading at the battery terminals just after dusk each night after the controller indicated no further charge was being received from the solar panel. Voltage readings for the five nights ranged from 12.65 to 12.84. However I am sure the batteries had not reached a “resting state” and were still at a “surface charge”.

I realize we are very conservative with our power usage and conditions were very favorable for solar charging. This is just one example of what can be done with a simple set up in the right conditions. I may add a second 100w solar panel to at least partially compensate for less favorable conditions over a longer period.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar