Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
sonofcy

Warning re solar gland & howto pull new wires

Hi, I am installing a solar system on my 2018 model year Montana 3811MS. I need to pull much bigger wires from the roof to the battery bank. I scraped off the silicon covering the solar wire gland (I think that's what it's called) and was very surprised to see the rust and obvious water damage (hard to see the damp wood). Any of you with the solar prep package might want to check yours out. That's the warning part.
My question is has anybody used the existing wires to pull new wires? As you can see from the picture, those #10 wires they tell you are in there only go about 6" then they are attached to something that looks at least one size smaller. I need #4's so need to use the old wires to pull the new wires. I cannot see any wires that look like them when I take off the inCommand in order to see behind. It is full of wires, but most are 110 wires.
Has anyone been able to locate the right wires?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4588.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	28387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4589.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	28388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	28389   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4591.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	28390  
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s called a cable entry plate. Properly installed they don’t leak. I have installed more than I want to count. Use putty tape on the bottom and then seal the entire edge with a good bead of Dicor self leveling making sure to cover the joint and bring the bead over the edge of the top.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It’s called a cable entry plate. Properly installed they don’t leak. I have installed more than I want to count. Use putty tape on the bottom and then seal the entire edge with a good bead of Dicor self leveling making sure to cover the joint and bring the bead over the edge of the top.
They did use some sort of putty on the bottom, but water still got in.

I will be scrapping the entire thing and will mount a box over the hole which will be where the solar comes in. The box has fuses and breakers. I will need to make some sort of collar to go around the hole. Butyl tape and dicor should seal it up.
However, my question was how do I pull new wires?
Since you work on these units, can you tell me how to identify the solar wires behind the panel with the GoPower label?
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Hi, I am installing a solar system on my 2018 model year Montana 3811MS. I need to pull much bigger wires from the roof to the battery bank. I scraped off the silicon covering the solar wire gland (I think that's what it's called) and was very surprised to see the rust and obvious water damage (hard to see the damp wood). Any of you with the solar prep package might want to check yours out. That's the warning part.
My question is has anybody used the existing wires to pull new wires? As you can see from the picture, those #10 wires they tell you are in there only go about 6" then they are attached to something that looks at least one size smaller. I need #4's so need to use the old wires to pull the new wires. I cannot see any wires that look like them when I take off the inCommand in order to see behind. It is full of wires, but most are 110 wires.
Has anyone been able to locate the right wires?

So this "plate" was on your roof as part of a solar prep package?? The reason I ask is that this trailer was touted as being solar prepped and has a sticker inside that says it is ready for some sort of jaboni solar equipment which I don't need. Did not have any time before departing on this trip so took a 10' ladder and inspected from the perimeter of the roof....in a hurry. Don't recall seeing that but I think I'll climb that crazy roof ladder and go look. I am very leery of roof leaks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
They did use some sort of putty on the bottom, but water still got in.

I will be scrapping the entire thing and will mount a box over the hole which will be where the solar comes in. The box has fuses and breakers. I will need to make some sort of collar to go around the hole. Butyl tape and dicor should seal it up.
However, my question was how do I pull new wires?
Since you work on these units, can you tell me how to identify the solar wires behind the panel with the GoPower label?
I’m not sure you need new wires. Tiffen motorhomes use wire that looks to be the same gauge, and I have installed extra 200W Go Power panels for a total of 6 (1200W) with no issues. I’m not familiar with your specific unit to say where the wires terminate, sorry.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar