Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Papa Don

Gasoline Onan hooked to LP

Hello , Traveling in a 2015 Carbon Toyhauler bought new . I recently discovered my Onan generator was a gasoline model that was hooked up to the LP . I would occasionly start it but after a minute or so I would shut it off , satisfied. Last fall on a trip I actually needed it and it quit after 7-8 minutes . Spent the winter looking over things then stumbled across that it was a gasoline model Just curious of anyone elses thoughts as the dealership has yet to make a return call . Thanks and Be Safe
Papa Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Do you have a model number of the generator? Many are built as "dual fuel" and will operate on either gasoline or LPG.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
Papa Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Do you have a model number of the generator? Many are built as "dual fuel" and will operate on either gasoline or LPG.
Good question ! Its a 5.5HGJAB-6755K and states " fuel:Gasoline " on the Onan sticker . Just afraid I've been taken advantage of by the dealership . Hope I've responded properly , first time posting . Thx Flybuoy
Old 04-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I know this sounds like a "round about way to do things".... But, it's possible that the dealer installed your "gas only generator" and then installed a "tri-fuel conversion kit"... Otherwise, I'm not sure there's any means to get a "gas only model" connected to propane and have it start, much less run for 7-8 minutes...

Here's one such "tri-fuel conversion kit" : https://centuryfuelproducts.com/smal...-engines/hgjab

You might want to do some "investigation" to find out what's really in your generator and whether it was converted as a part of the process to install a "NEW" generator in your trailer or if it was a "surplus generator sitting around for a couple of years, so let's convert it and stick it in that fifth wheel"....

There may be nothing inherently wrong with converting a gas generator so a customer can use it on LPG, but I'd think that owner should have been informed about what's in his trailer.

ADDED: Your trailer is a 2015 model "bought new", so I'd guess that the dealer's first question to you (probably viewed as defensive) will be, "How did you comply with the requirement to run the generator for one hour monthly to exercise the systems?" Not being critical, but if you've never run it, chances are very good that LPG or gas, it's not going to "run normally" after sitting idle for 4 or 5 years... Gummed up carburetor, stuck valves, fouled spark plugs, corroded wiring, rusted cylinder walls and fouled piston heads all come to mind as "reasonable causes for a generator that's sat idle for 5 years not to run properly"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
notanlines

Also be sure to start it with a full or almost full LP tank. The generator will freeze up the LP line at the regulator if run without a tank warmer or with a relatively low tank.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:19 AM   #6
Papa Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I know this sounds like a "round about way to do things".... But, it's possible that the dealer installed your "gas only generator" and then installed a "tri-fuel conversion kit"... Otherwise, I'm not sure there's any means to get a "gas only model" connected to propane and have it start, much less run for 7-8 minutes...

Here's one such "tri-fuel conversion kit" : https://centuryfuelproducts.com/smal...-engines/hgjab

You might want to do some "investigation" to find out what's really in your generator and whether it was converted as a part of the process to install a "NEW" generator in your trailer or if it was a "surplus generator sitting around for a couple of years, so let's convert it and stick it in that fifth wheel"....

There may be nothing inherently wrong with converting a gas generator so a customer can use it on LPG, but I'd think that owner should have been informed about what's in his trailer.

ADDED: Your trailer is a 2015 model "bought new", so I'd guess that the dealer's first question to you (probably viewed as defensive) will be, "How did you comply with the requirement to run the generator for one hour monthly to exercise the systems?" Not being critical, but if you've never run it, chances are very good that LPG or gas, it's not going to "run normally" after sitting idle for 4 or 5 years... Gummed up carburetor, stuck valves, fouled spark plugs, corroded wiring, rusted cylinder walls and fouled piston heads all come to mind as "reasonable causes for a generator that's sat idle for 5 years not to run properly"....
Thanx for info JRTJH & notanlines….I didn't think about them doing a conversion on the Onan , glad I listened to my wife bout not "flyin off the handle" when I originally called dealership ! I also had the "one hour run time" in the back of my mind , but as an electrician I know that Square D recommends cycling their house breakers once a month too....not that its correct/incorrect but I don't know of anyone doing either . I'd better rethink Thanx again , everyone Be Safe
Old 04-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Don View Post
Thanx for info JRTJH & notanlines….I didn't think about them doing a conversion on the Onan , glad I listened to my wife bout not "flyin off the handle" when I originally called dealership ! I also had the "one hour run time" in the back of my mind , but as an electrician I know that Square D recommends cycling their house breakers once a month too....not that its correct/incorrect but I don't know of anyone doing either . I'd better rethink Thanx again , everyone Be Safe
I've not heard about cycling breakers in a residential distribution panel.

It's a recommendation for older aircraft to cycle the breakers (not while powered up) to keep corrosion from preventing proper operation.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas