Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
FlyingAroundRV

State secrets!

Is this normal?
I have been trying to get a part number and some information for the rear axle on my trailer. I have contacted Keystone and Dexter and they both act as if I'm asking for state secrets. The only reply they will give me is in effect "We don't give out that information. Go talk to the dealers". All I asked for was confirmation of a part number I was given by a dealer who wanted to charge me $1,700 for an axle! I also wanted to know whether that part number included the springs and brakes for that price, but the response was the same from Keystone and Dexter "Talk to the dealers."

I have seen posts on the forums here from people who have dealt directly with Dexter for parts.

If you have done this, how did you do it?
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
Ranchhand

There should be a tag on the axle that will give you any information you need about the axle. Assuming it’s still there. It’s a kind of plastic sticker.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:32 AM   #3
slow

State secrets!

I have contacted Dexter twice for two different trailers and asked for the parts list for my axle assemblies. The info was supplied without hesitation. But in both cases I had the axle assembly part number from the vinyl tag Ranchhand refers to.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:40 AM   #4
Roscommon48

I agree, Dexter has been great. You are asking for something more than what is typical.
But regardless, just google dexter and you'll have lots of contacts to ask your questions. https://www.google.com/search?channe...er+parts+axles
I suspect you have a 7K axle which there are a million out there you just need to know which one goes on your trailer.
Also: https://www.dexteraxle.com/store
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

there should be a stamped part # on the axles, use the part number and go to the Dexter documentation found on the Dexter web site, see exploded parts list. There should also be a sticker on each axle.... mine was weather worn, but still readable.
Keystone and the Dealers are useless for info.

The factory sometimes puts different axles on the same rigs..... what ever is available, and or cheapest.

Dexter, or Keystone won't necessarily be able to tell you what axles you have on *your* rig.

Some new axles come with springs, some don't. Once you have your part # google it for replacement cost.
Tuz5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Scott,

You're in a "bit of a jam" right now. With you being so far from your trailer, you're going to have problems getting the information on the axle decal. The reason Keystone can't/won't give you the information on what axles are installed on your trailer is because there "may be an alternate axle" that was installed on that "one off supply problem day on the assembly line"... Yes, they are "supposed to all be the same" and Keystone is "supposed to track axles by part number/serial number for NHTSA, but.....

So, rather than "look it up in their records (that might reveal a mistake and cause NHTSA issues if reported by you that Keystone is wrong) their "always answer" is "You must get that information from your dealer". And the dealer will "give you that information by crawling under the trailer and reading the axle decal"......

Dexter, without knowing what Keystone installed, is essentially "helpless to help"....

With the information on that axle decal, any Dexter dealer or the Customer Support can give you exactly what components are installed on that assembly, right down to the races, bearings, brake assemblies, seals, backing plates, springs, shackles, pins, equalizers, etc..... But, without the "decal" Keystone won't "reveal a possible mistake" and Dexter "can't tell you what they don't know" (what's installed on your trailer)…

So, in a "round about way" it is a "state secret"... Keystone doesn't want to risk revealing to the state that they might have an accounting error on what's installed... Of course, this is just my "best guess" and not a "revealing insight into Keystone deficiencies"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
ADQ K9

I took pictures of my axle tags when I first got the trailer They are Lippert and they were right about center. Is there some one close that can identify your Axles for you?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
FlyingAroundRV

Thanks all for your guidance and help here. I will dig into this further.

In the mean time, I had to get a bit snotty with the email reader girl to get her to pass my query on to someone who could help, and they did help.

I now have a confirmed Dexter part number with all the specs, but it looks like the part number relates to an "axle assembly" not just an axle.
I believe I only need the axle as it appears to be bent. Our TT only has about 17,000 miles on it (2 seasons) and I just replaced the bearings last year and inspected the brakes. I don't think I need new brakes, backing plates and springs that come with the assembly.

Is it possible to order just the axle? Or is it better to just replace the whole assembly? That seems a bit wasteful to me.

BTW, I have asked this same question of the Dexter people, but ask it here also in case Dexter don't reply.

TIA

Scott
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #9
Dave W

First of all, LCI owns Dexter as well as Al-Ko

There is no big mystery as long as you know some basic information:

Capacity - 5200/6000/7000 pound axles have the same 3" tube diameter.

The 5200, 6000 and 7000 pound axles use the same spindle but have different outer bearings.

7000 pound axles have different hubs and larger outer bearings though have the same inner bearings as the 5.2/6K axles. The spindle is still the same. Parts really don't change until you move to 7.2 and 8K axles.

The axles themselves will have a part number stamped in the middle along with as shipped capacity. The axles are built with the spring perches at a specific dimension apart and is what will differentiate the various versions
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post

In the mean time, I had to get a bit snotty with the email reader girl to get her to pass my query on to someone who could help, and they did help.

I now have a confirmed Dexter part number with all the specs, but it looks like the part number relates to an "axle assembly" not just an axle.
I believe I only need the axle as it appears to be bent. Our TT only has about 17,000 miles on it (2 seasons) and I just replaced the bearings last year and inspected the brakes. I don't think I need new brakes, backing plates and springs that come with the assembly.

Is it possible to order just the axle? Or is it better to just replace the whole assembly? That seems a bit wasteful to me.

BTW, I have asked this same question of the Dexter people, but ask it here also in case Dexter don't reply.

TIA

Scott
What appears to be bent??? There is a "built in camber" (arch) in the unloaded axle beam. The arch "flattens" as the axle load increases.

If you're making an assumption that the axle "must be bent" because of tire wear, the axles can be aligned by any "competent" trailer repair center.

If there's tire wear AND you repacked (or had the bearings repacked) are you sure they were properly seated/adjusted to the races on reassembly?

I suppose what I'm asking is, "Why do you think the axle is bent" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
notanlines

Scott, let's not go to a new axle yet. Give these people a call: https://fergusontruckcenter.com/comm...truck-service/
They will straighten your axle AND tell you if and why it might be bent.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post

TIA

Scott
To address the bolded statement, it may depend on who's doing the labor. If you're paying someone to switch out the axle then it may be cost effective to replace it as a "unit ready to roll" as apposed to paying for the labor to remove all the components and reassemble them on a new axle while making sure the spring packs are parallel and perpendicular to the axle.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote