Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
foldbak

Wheel Bearings

So the wheels on the the 2018 Cougars are nice but they have a bearing cap and you have to remove the tire just to lube the bearings. Anyone find a work around?
Attached Images

foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Steveo57

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
So the wheels on the the 2018 Cougars are nice but they have a bearing cap and you have to remove the tire just to lube the bearings. Anyone find a work around?
The end of the cap pops off on mine. It doesn't look like it will but if you have the wheels off you can see it better. Mine is just a plastic cap with tabs that will probably break the first time I try to pop them off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190608_151023.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	23171  
Old 08-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think the majority of members would caution you NOT to use the EZ Lube system. Although you'll find an occasional person who says the system is "great and works well" for every one of those, you'll likely get 10 who say, "Screwed up my brake shoes, magnets and I lost all braking".....

Dexter and Lippert (axle manufacturers) suggest repacking the wheel bearings with a visual inspection annually as well as an inspection of the hub for corrosion/abnormal wear. The only way I've found to perform that kind of maintenance and inspection is to disassemble the hub.

So, if you've got to disassemble the hub anyway........

Here's the link to the Dexter Maintenance Recommendations: https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...4.pdf?sfvrsn=0

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
Kylemcmahon1

As long as you jack the wheel off the ground and spin the wheel while pumping grease you should not have to worry about pooping the seal out. Unless the seal is already blown in which case only way to know is grease on brakes or dissemble and inspect.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
Blackrock

Beauty Caps, I took mine off and stored them in a bin. Now I can check hub temps better with my infra red gun plus a hand feel.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
ChuckS

Without taking the hubs off you can’t see the condition of the brakes and other hardware... let alone what the condition of the races and bearings are. EZ lube system is the worst ever introduced.

Many new gizmos and such are nice. But old fashioned eye balling those bearings and races and hand packing will give you much more longevity. Not to mention safety.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
GHen

Just repacked the bearings on my daughters Lippert axels, hardly any grease on them. Certainly not properly hand packed at the factory. It’s worth taking a look at the bearings after a couple trips.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #8
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
The end of the cap pops off on mine. It doesn't look like it will but if you have the wheels off you can see it better. Mine is just a plastic cap with tabs that will probably break the first time I try to pop them off.

Unfortunately mine dont have a removable cap. Wheel must come off. I was a mechanic for 19 years. The bearing buddies are great for a quick top off when you dont have time to disassemble, inspect and repack.

I've only got roughly 2000 miles on the trailer and the factory packing is what I'm concerned about. I just dont have time to do it this trip. Luckily it's only 200 miles.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Just repacked the bearings on my daughters Lippert axels, hardly any grease on them. Certainly not properly hand packed at the factory. It’s worth taking a look at the bearings after a couple trips.
Mine were the same when new. I packed them before my first major trip. I check them annually and do a full repack every 2 years.

Only time I use the grease gun is to force old grease out and ensure new grease is in the tube.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote