Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
ahegewald

Planning to build a new home with an RV Garage...need advice on size

Hi Campers,
We own a Sprinter travel trailer 35' and 11'1" height.
We are planning on building a new home. The third bay is for our Trailer.
Let's say the kids move and we want to get a rear living trailer or perhaps a 5th wheel. I gotta say our travel trailer tows easily with my GMC 3500 Sierra. I can't imagine spending the money on a taller and longer trailer for just the two of us as we age and our kids grow up and out of the house.

My RV garage specs are this as drawn right now. 12' garage door height
but with 14'ft ceilings and 40' long and 11' wide. I need 12" for a lift master garage door unit making max height 13' assuming I purchase an even taller garage door.

I find that trailers are 8'6" max width my very few specs can I find on 5th wheel height other than a rule of thumb 14' ft.

I've never pulled a 5th wheel. Should will plan a garage for a trailer with 14' clearance and 50' ft deep so we could basically fit anything? Our lot is 10 acres and the cost of the construction is on a budget, but am I being too conservative building a RV garage that would only fit travel trailers?

-Adam

2016 GMC Sierra 3500 DuraMAX
ahegewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Slapshoot

I would absolutely build taller. If you end up pulling the camper you may want to go to a 5th. We moved from a 33’ travel trailer to a 38’ 5th and there are only two of us!
Old 04-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Frank G

You would do yourself and the next owner a favor by installing a 14ft high x 12ft door (14 or 16 would be better) in the largest building you can afford. In its lifetime the building can and will be used for many things. To me 10 acres equates to toys, lawnmowers, tractors and utility trailers. You only need to frame, side and roof it at this time. All the rest can come later, on your time and budget. A good concrete floor is a must have.

I have built many buildings in my lifetime and have regretted every pole barn style I have ever built. The largest being 96ft x 144ft with 14 ft doors. It is expensive to do anything with them, like insulating and covering the interior walls and ceiling. Plus it is darn near impossible to make them rodent proof. The last thing you want around your RV are a pack of cold and hungry field mice.

My father in law constructed a building for his motor home, 10 ft wide door 12ft wide building (outside dimensions) with no room front or back with the class A in it. A total disaster. You cant even open the door and deploy the steps.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
Ranchhand

Definitely make it tall enough for a fifth wheel if there is any thought at all about buying one. Even if 10 years down the road. It is much cheaper to do it now than have to build another one down the road. Do not be like me and have a nice barn just outside the house that you can not use just because it is not tall enough for your fifth wheel.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
xrated

Definitely make it large enough for a Big 5ver. At our house it's just the two of us, no grandkids or other constant camping companions and we just went from a 34 1/2' travel trailer to a 44' 5ver that is 13'5" in height. We are both in our mid 60s, so not trying to expand to meet a growing family. If you ever sell the place, it will certainly be a strong selling point to someone that has a camper or motorhome. If you don't ever sell it and even if you never buy another trailer, you've just got a lot more room to get the existing trailer in and out....no close tolerances.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
notanlines

I concur pretty much with everything said so far. Definitely tall enough for a large 5th wheel and long enough to cover a 40' RV. In my opinion, if your budget will handle it, a metal building beats a pole barn. In the end you will not be sorry.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:57 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

The original poster hasn't been on the site since early last June. Doubt you will hear from him.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote