Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
GypsySailor

Fluctuating 110AC

Hello all!

I have a 2018 24ft Keystone Cougar. I have two electric fans plugged in at opposite sides of my trailer, a small one by the bed and one larger one by the kitchen.

I run the small one at night and for the past 2 weeks it has been fluctuating power irregularly when set to a setting. It never turns off, but the power will "lull" and then return to normal soon after.

I thought it may have just been the fan, but the larger one will do it also.

I am plugged in to 30AMP with a surge protector and batteries on (not disconnected).

Thoughts appreciated!
GypsySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If your surge protector is an EMS, it should have a voltmeter display. The voltage should be 110-125 VAC and ideally 115-120 VAC. If you don't have a voltmeter, maybe you can borrow one to check the voltage in the outlet when the fan is varying speed. Insert the leads of the VOM in the duplex plug that the fan is connected to and monitor it for varying voltage. If it's varying, then test the input power to the trailer to determine if it's a campground problem or a wiring problem at the specific plug.

My first thought was the fan, but you say both fans do the same thing, so it's probably not the fan, rather it's either input power from the campground or a loose wire connection somewhere in that specific circuit to the plug.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
GypsySailor

Thank you for your reply! Took out my multimeter and first tested the outlets. Held around 118/119 then dropped to 98 for about a second.

To make sure it wasnt just me, tested the supplies power from the camp and did the same thing!

Electricity has always made me nervous, but learning things like this helps me feel more confident. Thanks!
GypsySailor is offline   Reply With Quote