Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Rwest234

Smile Ram 3500

Need some help! I have a 2019 Cougar 30RLS. I am looking at a 2016 RAM 3500 SRW 4X4. I measured the pin height and with the camper level it measures 47.5". I need to know if there is enough adjustment in the pin box to match up and still be level. I have a Curt 16Q slider that is also adjustable. I know there is at least one fellow on this forum that has a 30RLS and a RAM 3500. I know it is possible but looking for advice.
Rwest234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Laredo Tugger

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 CC SRW 4x4, I also have the same hitch that you do. I assume your hitch is installed with the puck system adapter that the Curt 16K requires. My hitch is adjusted to the lowest setting available (top 2 holes of adjustment on the Roller Adapter, the bar that bolts between the slider assembly). I also have air bags that are inflated to about 15 psi.
With only adjustment to the hitch I was able to get my trailer within less than an inch difference front and back on a level surface. Granted my trailer may be longer than yours but you should be able to adjust your TV (and hitch) to haul your fifth wheel level. I thought I was headed for a king pin adjustment but was able to avoid it.
Just be sure if you adjust the roller adapter part mentioned above that you replace the pins that secure the receiver head to the hitch. Upon my fifth wheel purchase the dealer took my truck in the shop and made that adjustment. They didn't replace the pins. That's a story for another day.
Good luck.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Rwest234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 CC SRW 4x4, I also have the same hitch that you do. I assume your hitch is installed with the puck system adapter that the Curt 16K requires. My hitch is adjusted to the lowest setting available (top 2 holes of adjustment on the Roller Adapter, the bar that bolts between the slider assembly). I also have air bags that are inflated to about 15 psi.
With only adjustment to the hitch I was able to get my trailer within less than an inch difference front and back on a level surface. Granted my trailer may be longer than yours but you should be able to adjust your TV (and hitch) to haul your fifth wheel level. I thought I was headed for a king pin adjustment but was able to avoid it.
Just be sure if you adjust the roller adapter part mentioned above that you replace the pins that secure the receiver head to the hitch. Upon my fifth wheel purchase the dealer took my truck in the shop and made that adjustment. They didn't replace the pins. That's a story for another day.
Good luck.
RMc
I will have the Ram Adapter for the pucks, the one that looks like a picture frame. Thanks for the great info. What was your tailgate height when open if you know?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

My adapter is more "spider" shaped (4 legs). Not sure of the brand. Let me get a look at it in daylight tomorrow and see if there is a name on it. The adapter does raise the hitch over 2 inches, that's why I had to lower hitch adjustment.
Not sure of the tailgate height, I can measure that tomorrow as well.
RMc
Old 03-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
Laredo Tugger

I got to look at the adapter. it is a OEM PUCK SYSTEM 5TH WHEEL ROLLER ADAPTER FOR RAM 16022e . The hitch assembly pins to it. Those pins are tough to insert,especially the front ones. If you plan to remove the hitch after install, and if you have the ability I would recommend taking the king pin receiver off separate and lift the adapter and the hitch out together to avoid removing the previously mentioned pins, Set in on the tailgate and disassemble/assemble it there. Much easier.
Best measurement I could get for the tailgate to the ground was 39.25 inches empty,no trailer.
Hope this helps.
RMc
Old 03-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Rwest234

The measurement was just what I need, with that number and the top holes on the Curt I should be in great shape as far as level goes.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Laredo Tugger

Glad to help. You should be good and level.
When you get your pucks adapter (the spider) set it on your tailgate as it would be installed (front to back and leave the assembly bolts loose for adjustment) then put the hitch assembly on and pin it. 4 pins. Then "jockey" the two into place and set the puck legs into the holes and secure. Now you can tighten the adapter bolts to torque specs. Much easier than connecting the two pieces in the truck, Also don't forget the pins on the king pin plate/roller.
RMc