Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #1
Wonder05

2016 26bhs what dealer offered

Hello,
My parents sent me to ask some questions. We are looking for something with a u dinette , bunk beds, my parents will sleep in the master bedroom , my husband I (he’s a big guy belly and I’m small I’m 5’2” no belly)
Three children under age of 6 but would like for them to be able to play and sleep in the bunks when they are older.

So My first question is : how is it like sitting in the bunks? I’ve sat in the Jayco and if I lean back slightly I don’t smack the ceiling even on the bottom. The kids have plenty of room.

My mom and dad were Looking and got to go over with a Used Keystone technician sans sale person (hmm now I’m getting skeptical) He walked through several with then and even climbed on top of a neighboring trailer to look over the roof. He showed us the PDI list they have at the rv place. He went through everything on it with them my mom says.

I’m just going to copy paste from my mom

Checked the black water tank, the fridge, took apart the dinette, got into corners of trailer and sniffed for mildew. Showed us the wheel bearings, axles, what slides to look for etc. Remember how I kept saying about the slide out in the one Jayco seeming to "dip" in the center? We were in a KZ when he came in and asked if we had any technical questions. He was upfront and stated he was not a sales person but one of their independent technicians and was just answering any technical questions folks had. He said KZ was a very good manufacturer but don't buy the model we were in as the slide had a dip in the center and that would lead to a water leak!”

“So a question for your Keystone group.
2016 Keystone Hideout 28 BHS. One owner (traded up for a Grand Design $50,000 thing -we spoke with the sales person who sold the Hideout originally). Dealer will repack bearings, re-caulk outside putty, add spare tire, put on new hitch with weight distribution, sway control. Plus adding slide topper. Cost $20,921 including tax and tags. Comes with a 90 day limited warranty (have to read that).
I think it breaks down like this:
$17,500 for rig
$1,950 for the other stuff
$1,167 tax
$300 tags
Does that sound fair and should we offer less?”

Ok now back to me asking here. I’m skeptical they happen to have a technician.
He is paid by the company no? So of course he’s going to recomend the trailer?
Also how “tight “ exactly is the hideout? We had all of us except my husband in the Jayco jayflight and I wouldn’t go any smaller then that.

Any input would be helpful.
I know my mom and dad were concerned with delamination and leaks. I just don’t want them taken advantage of.

Thanks in advance.
Wonder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
Buying any used RV from any dealer or private party can be a daunting task. Having an “independent” technician on-site would raise a red flag in my book. Prices are very subjective and dependent on area of the country, availability of similar models and the season when it comes to RV’s. RV sales are through the roof so dealers are able to demand and get higher prices and it is after all prime camping season. IMO a hideout is a better unit than a Jayflight. We don’t sell either, but I’ve worked on both.

Delamination can be prevented with proper maintance, so if the unit doesn’t have any now, chances are with proper care it won’t develop any. In the end a “fair” price is one that both the seller and buyer feel like they got a good deal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The Hideout 28BHS is an aluminum skinned trailer with aluminum front/rear panels, so delamination won't occur. Delamination is water damage, usually to fiberglass panels.

Your example is a 2016 "used" trailer. If you could talk to the previous owner you might gain some insight into how it was used, why it was traded, etc. Paying $21,000 seems relatively high, given the internet offerings for a 2018 model of $22,499 with no negotiations being done. https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetail...20k-HAR1468718

It may be a "good deal" depending on the condition of the trailer, how well it fits your family needs and what kind of dealer support you can expect after the sale. Remember, for most people who need dealer repairs after the sale, the dealership becomes a major consideration in purchase location, many times it's more important than the final price. For people who never return to the dealership, price is more important than dealer support. Which will your purchase be? It's impossible to know before you tow it off the lot, so be sure the dealership is one you can rely on. If there's "independent technicians" roaming the lot, I'd wonder why ???????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
busterbrown

A couple of my thoughts...

This unit is approximately 3 years old now. Have you shopped around for a new unit? Take a look at this:

https://lakeshore-rv.com/hideout-rv/...28bhs/l-32680/

I bet the dealer is around $19K before taxes, plates, and $200 paper work fee. How do I know? I purchased from them over 2 years ago. All their units include a PDI, battery and propane at no extra cost. Toppers are about $500-550 each installed.

So to sum it up, you'd be getting a brand new unit for just under $20,900 (assuming 6% PA sales tax) plus the cost of your plates.

Personally, I know what I would do. Road trip anyone??

BTW, the dealer above is top notch in terms of sales, customer service, responsiveness. Sales Mike, Warranty Mike, and PDI tech Michael were my points of contact and are recommended.

The other thought I had was regarding your bunk situation with 3 young kids. The 28BHS isn't a bunk house, but rather 2 full size bunkbeds, adjacent to the living space. Have you thought of buying an actual bunk house floor plan? This would give your children some highly desired floor space on rainy days, and even some surely deserved privacy as they get older. Remember children grow like weeds. I know I have three of them at 7, 4, and 3 years of age and having the closed door "bunk house" is a saving grace on long trips. Plus it gives mom and dad some privacy too. For a just a little more than your current budget, you'll be able to find a very nice Keystone bunkhouse from a variety of their brands (Passport, Bullet, Hideout). A couple of examples...

https://lakeshore-rv.com/hideout-rv/...29bks/l-14674/
https://lakeshore-rv.com/passport-gr...920bh/l-21873/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Keysto...0/132569734862
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
BTW, the dealer above is top notch in terms of sales, customer service, responsiveness.
Far from my experience, mine was a bit of a horror story.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote