Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
macminn18

Batter charging question

We bought a used 2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight last summer. Been real happy with it so far. One thing I'm not sure of is the electrical, more specifically the battery.

I bought a new deep cycle battery this year. Didn't want to go with the golf cart batteries just yet, as we will be upgrading campers in a year or two when we can camp even more.

So what I was wondering is between camping trips, we usually hook up the power to our house. Does this charge the battery?

Same goes for when we're traveling, does the tow vehicle charge the battery while on the road?
macminn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The campers converter should charge the battery when connected to an appropriate outlet for AC voltage.
The TV(tow vehicle) should charge the battery if the TV is wired for it. Many trucks require the installation of a relay and some require the key in the truck to be in the on position to prevent the trailer from discharging the truck while not running. The truck will charge the battery at a slower rate as the wire is smaller than the converters wiring in the camper.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
spade117

Yes, both towing and being hooked up to shore power charges the battery.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
macminn18

Thanks for the replies. I have a multi meter now so am planning on learning more about the electrical system.
macminn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Until you know how your battery/converter-charger function as a unit, be sure to include weekly battery electrolyte checks. Nearly all "maintenance free" batteries are not "maintenance free" but are "maintenance reduced".... Nearly all deep cycle and marine/RV batteries have "not easy to remove" battery caps, but they are removable and you do need to check the water level. Don't be "lulled" into believing that your "maintenance free" battery can be ignored for weeks or months while connected to the converter-charger in your RV. If anything "goes slightly off center" you can destroy your new battery before the end of the camping season just from letting it sit ignored on the tongue of your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
travelin texans

Somewhere you'll have a battery discount, be it a switch or knob, that must be in "on" or "use" position otherwise the battery will not charge.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macminn18 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have a multi meter now so am planning on learning more about the electrical system.
I just purchased a digital multimeter myself and will use it to check the state of charge on my two 6V batteries when we're not camping. I have read that it's best for deep cycle battery life not to go below a 50% charge and this web site has been helpful regarding all things deep cycle battery.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-s...y-maintenance/

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by macminn18 View Post
I'd suggest checking your converter as long as you have the meter out.
Most Keystone products are equipped with WFCO Converters. Ours is the 8935 model. These are multi-stage converters as described by the manufacturer. However, they are not checked by anyone as far as I know once they are installed. It's worth checking the three output voltages just to be sure the converter is operating per spec.

The WF-8935 model provides 35 Amps and a clean, constant 13.6 VDC nominal output, for reliable operation of electronics and appliances. Automatic three-stage charging extends the life of your battery with output voltage modes of 13.2 VDC range “float” mode, 13.6 VDC range “absorption” mode, and a 14.4 VDC range “bulk” charge mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0207 (1).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	16795  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote