Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
tuber12

antenna upgrade

I'm sure this has been discussed before but unable to find the thread. I have a round antenna that does not raise up. Would like to upgrade to a better antenna. Not interested in getting a satellite dish. Thanks
tuber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Willie & Bev

I'll be watching this for a solution. We have the same antenna and need to upgrade. I'm thinking of fabricating a bracket either from the rear bumper or off the frame and using an antenna and mast that can be removed and hauled in our truck bed.

Willie
Willie & Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends on where the antenna is mounted. If it’s above a cabinet, your options are very limited. If not then you could remove it from the roof and install a rotating antenna. I just today did a “ get ready” on a toy hauler that had a Jack King Omni directional antenna. I was surprised at how it did, you may want to check them out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
XTeacher

Before investing in a new antenna, have you tried a different television? I've been told that our problem is the crummy tv provided with the camper. We're going to try a tv from our house to see if that's the problem.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:32 AM   #5
Frank G

X2 on the King jack directional antenna with built in signal finder.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
vanillagorilla

i installed and king jack on my springdale 303 and it was a huge difference from the batwing antenna. nothing but good things and especially with the directional signal finder
Old 04-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
chartrand

Correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding of why the “batwing” antennas are not so good, is because a few years ago when they moved over to all digital signal put most new digital channels in the UHF signal range. The batwing were designed for VHF. So you would need the UHF antenna add-on in order to get good signal today. The King Jack is still better though and that’s what I picked up for my rig. I left the old crank/up on the trailer and simply mounted the king to it, so I can get my King Jack higher and still turn it to improve reception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
MaxxBB

+10 on the King Jack Antenna - Unfortunately when I bought ours, I didn't know there was a version that already came with the signal finder. We purchased the Sensa Pro unit and just replaced the factory booster unit behind the TV in the rear living space. We use the factory Winegard raising antenna to mount the Cell Booster antenna and the Rogue Wave WiFi antenna.

2014 Bullet Premier 30REPR
2104 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
MaxxBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, upgrade