Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
AussieCanadian

Raising suspension height of 5er?

Hi all,

I am seeking some advice here. I have a 2016 Hideout 295BHS. Last year I upgraded to a Reese airborne pin box, and using a Reese 16k slider hitch with that.

I'm riding around 3" nose high, meaning when connected on level ground, I measure 2.8" higher in the front than to to back when I measure from the ground to bottom of the frame at either end. I am not overly concerned with it (I realize the suspension equalizer will deal with SOME of that) but it does create some ground clearance challenges at even a few inches would make a difference.

I am already on the lowest hitch setting AND highest pin box holes, so looking to raise the suspension a little.

Advice on such a mod? Has anyone gained height (around 2") from installing CRE3000/4000 mod etc? New spring hangers with longer length perhaps?
Any other way? Note: the axle is already "flipped" - came that way from the factory so that's not an option.

Thank you in advance.
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:34 AM   #2
Tinner12002

I used a 2" spacer block on a couple toy haulers I had with great results and no issues. Just as in raising a truck rear you put block under springs and on top of the axle. When you do that you also need to use a thicker and of course, longer u-bolts.
There's been others that have done it this way also with no issues.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Dave W

Here's a company that will sell you spacer blocks: https://www.trailerblocks.com/produc...-4-wide-spring

I plagiarized their design somewhat with some 1.75x1x4 inch aluminum (Metals Supermarket) for about 1/4 the cost and about an hour's time with a Sawzall, a drill press and a 3/8" tap. The hardest thing I had to do making these was finding a tool in my shop that would machine a relief that would accept the spring center bolt head. You can also stack the one inch aluminum with more pieces of whatever thickness needed

You will most likely need longer U-bolts. Up to 7-1/2" are available at etrailer. Longer may need to be made at a local spring shop if you want taller spacers. I recommend 9/16 dia U bolts instead of the original 1/2 plus 65 pounds torque on their nuts.

It's also a good time to install wet bolts if not already done and maybe one step 'stronger' leaf spring set (which in turn will raise the camper as well)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Here's a company that will sell you spacer blocks: https://www.trailerblocks.com/produc...-4-wide-spring

I plagiarized their design somewhat with some 1.75x1x4 inch aluminum (Metals Supermarket) for about 1/4 the cost and about an hour's time with a Sawzall, a drill press and a 3/8" tap. The hardest thing I had to do making these was finding a tool in my shop that would machine a relief that would accept the spring center bolt head. You can also stack the one inch aluminum with more pieces of whatever thickness needed

You will most likely need longer U-bolts. Up to 7-1/2" are available at etrailer. Longer may need to be made at a local spring shop if you want taller spacers. I recommend 9/16 dia U bolts instead of the original 1/2 plus 65 pounds torque on their nuts.

It's also a good time to install wet bolts if not already done and maybe one step 'stronger' leaf spring set (which in turn will raise the camper as well)
That's the same outfit I got one set of my blocks from, actually bought the whole kit but thought the spring tie and U-bolts were cheezy after bending bolts and spring tie so purchased them elsewhere. So just purchase blocks only from them. Made my first set with 1 3/4" heavy wall tube.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

AussieCanadian,

If your Hideout does not have the Lippert Correct Track system installed (Yellow discs at the forward spring hangers) you can install that kit to accomplish two things. First it will give you 2" of height and second, it will provide the means to align your trailer axles (if it becomes necessary).

You can get the answer to how much height and read about the kit at the etrailer site: https://www.etrailer.com/question-194182.html

You can also view the installation video and read the "aftermarket kit" instructions on the Lippert site at: https://www.lci1.com/correct-track-ii#about

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
dcg9381

I have a trailerblocks kit - I think .75" sitting in my shop. With grade 8 longer u-bolts. The kits are great, but there is a hefty margin on the blocks. Some concerns about going up "too tall" with blocks that creates a torque effect on the axle during braking, but I've never seen a report of a failure.

The correct track system is a good option... Upgrade to greased shackles at the same time and wet bolts.

The last option is having a spring shop "rearch" your springs...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote