Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
sbebenelli

New Keystone Outback 26B owner

Seems like a lot of negative comments here so I thought I'd change that trend. I'm a new Keystone owner after my last two being Jayco.

I've seen some comments about "should have bought Jayco" and I'm here to tell you they have their problems too.

The first one was a 2007 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 197. This was my first RV and was very much a green horn when I bought it and picked it up. I didn't’t do the best job looking it over during the check over. After getting it home I noticed the screen door dragged, one of the window frames on the inside wasn’t in on one corner and there where holes where they had one of the blind brackets in the wrong spot and had moved it.

The first time out in this the kitchen faucet would not shut off after using it a couple times. I ended up buying and replacing it with a better one from Lowes. During the first year the water heater gas valve went bad and the radio stopped working. I realize the water heater, radio and faucet is out of Jayco’s hands and not something they have any control over.

I had this unit for about a year before upgrading to a 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB.

The craftsmanship on some of the paneling and the rubber trim could have been better. One piece of paneling in the bedroom came unattached on one side because it was shorter than it should’ve been. This was unnoticeable because the rubber trim that is used on the corners covered it. I came in one day and it had come unattached in that area. You could see where the nails barley caught the paneling.

During the first year when we were camping it rained and water developed on the floor under one of the windows. When I got home I soaked the window with a hose and water developed again. My dealer is 90 miles away so I called them and asked if it was OK for me to pull the window out to have a look instead of the hassle of having to take it to them. They gave me the OK. I pulled the window out and the foam seal that goes around the window wasn’t stuck on in the correct place on one corner. I was able to remove it without damage and repositioned it correctly. I reinstalled window and poured water on it with hose. Problem fixed.

The second year (this year) early in the spring I got on the roof to wash it and noticed a couple of pumps under the rubber. One of them felt pointy and made a decent size bump.

Talked to Jayco about it and they said it wouldn't hurt anything. I never did feel comfortable about this.

A couple months ago I noticed a stain on the wall that looked like water could’ve ran down it. I cleaned it off and looked after every rain and never did see any signs again. I don’t know what it was but I was always leery of it.

A couple weeks ago we were camping and it rained. Water developed under another window. At this point I just wanted to get rid of it. Yes all this was covered under warranty. I just didn’t feel good about this one anymore.

We went looking and found a 2010 Keystone Outback 26B for what I thought was a very good price. We liked the layout better than the others so we bought it. It’s still early to know if any troubles will develop.

I will say that I looked over this with a fine tooth comb before buying it and after. The craftsmanship is very good. Better than my previous Jayco.

2010 Keystone Hideout 26B

sbebenelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
sbebenelli

This is one of the features we liked about the top bunk. It folds up when not needed.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

First, welcome to the Keystone Forum and sorry for the late "welcome". Secondly, you seem very satisfied with your new Outback Hideout and it appears that you gave it a thorough inspection before purchasing. Finally, there are 3 elements that you are also pleased with: the price, the layout and the workmanship. Pretty hard to beat those and I hope that, after you have given it a good and lengthy roadtest, you are still happy. Thanks for the photos --- looks great! Enjoy! Richard.
PS: We have had our Cougar 5th for 2 years and are very happy - no negative comments from us.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Flyguy

Welcome to the forum, what you have just said is what many of us have said many times on this forum, that you can have problems with any brand of trailer. I'm pleased that you’re savvy enough to know what to look for in a trailer and just wish that everyone would do their homework before rushing into an RV purchase no matter what brand it is. I've had my Passport for 2 years now and other than the constant maintenance that we all have, I have not had any problems with it. Sure, there are things that now need replacing that I thought would last a little longer (mostly seals) but I guess that the manufacturers know this and that's why they only offer a 1 year warranty, still, I'm happy with my purchase, just wish I could go camping with it a little more often than I do. I see from your pictures that you have a bi-fold cover on you stove, did you add this or did the trailer come with it as standard equipment? Just curious because the other Hideout's that I've seen didn't have one.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
sbebenelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I see from your pictures that you have a bi-fold cover on you stove, did you add this or did the trailer come with it as standard equipment? Just curious because the other Hideout's that I've seen didn't have one.
It's not a bi-fold cover. I bought it from Camping World.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
2011 keystone

Talking Great minds

Great minds do think alike. I have the same camper and also the little fan in your bedroom i have 2 just like it.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
Mrmule79

I am also new to this forum. And so far my family loves our new Hideout 26B.
BUT, beware DO NOT bolt a bike rack to the back bumper.Any damage will not be covered under warranty. I found that out the hard way and $300 dollars later. (out of my pocket). The bumper will not hold any weight.
Mrmule79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
2011 keystone

Just a update to this old thread. We now have one full camping season in our keystone hideout with ZERO COUNTUM ZERO problems.
30 plus nights and still VERY happy with our Keystone TT
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote