Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Steve S

None sreaming smoke alarm!

Well I bought this smoke alarm that doesn't go off all the time while cooking
It will go off within the first minute of cooking then you push the middle button and it won't go off for a 1/2 hr
This is a must investment for those that cook bacon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160129_155105 [86196].jpg
Views:	100
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	9947   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160129_155150 [86178].jpg
Views:	92
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	9948  
Old 01-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
CarKath

How do you know when supper is ready if it doesn't go off ?

To be serious for half a second , why does it go off when your cooking? Negative pressure in trailer? No exhaust or fresh air ? Seems odd to me it goes off so much to start with.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
Ram189

I was wondering the same thing. I have cooked in my last 3 trailers and never had a smoke detector go off. Run the hood vent and you should be good to go.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
rwmurphy15

When my wife is cooking any meal that's how we know when it's time to eat.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Javi

I finally disabled the smoke alarm in our Passport because it was directly above the stove and the vent hood was not vented outside.

The Cougar 333MKS we have now has not only a vent hood that is vented outside but also there is a MaxxAir vent in the ceiling close to the stove and island. When we cook we turn the MaxxAir on low and use the vent hood. .... no more blasting detector.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Removing "smokey, stale" air from the cabin is the aim of most of us who don't want to listen to the smoke detector. Admittedly, the range hood on many RV's isn't even vented to the outside, but forces the cooking odors/smoke back into the cabin. On some, the vent hood is open to the outside, but even with that improvement, the vent is inadequate for moving enough air to keep the cooking odors from triggering the smoke alarm.

One solution that worked for me is changing the vent hood fan assembly (not the entire range hood, just the fan assembly) with a "much improved" version. It's called the SAM-1 range hood and can be found here: http://www.rvvent.com/fabulousoperatingproducts.htm I upgraded last spring and even on our extended trip where we often cooked inside, we never had the smoke detector alarm. This mod moves more air on low speed than the old one did and is so much more quiet that we can actually use it without even noticing that it's turned on. It has 3 fan speeds and on high, moves almost as much air as the Fantastic fan that's in the bathroom. For us, it was a "win-win" even at the "steep cost".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:41 AM   #7
Steve S

Sensitive smoke alarms was brought up a yr ago and this i why I posted that there's actually one on the market
If you say that your's never goes off the I think that you might want to check your battery
Old 01-31-2016, 01:37 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve, the "press to test" button on our smoke detector gets "function checked" at the start of every camping trip. Whether the detector "detection function" is operational or not, I can't tell you, but the battery and the "test function" work, or the detector gets replaced before we pull out of the drive.

It's not comforting to be 15 miles down a one lane dirt road, miles from the nearest cell service and discover smoke with a "silent detector".... If it's not working, we're not camping...........

The "upgraded range hood fan" is a "quality squirrel cage blower" that is significantly more efficient at evacuating cooking vapors than the "piddly little thing" that comes "standard".... With a "functional range hood" there's no reason for the smoke detector to alarm (unless there's smoke/fire). Since replacing the range hood, we haven't had any issues with the smoke detector. And yes, the battery is good, detector is functional and range hood is efficient.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-31-2016, 06:05 AM   #9
SADLY

We call ours the "toast detector".
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
GaryWT

The beauty of cooking outside, no issues with the smoke detector.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
The beauty of cooking outside, no issues with the smoke detector.
Yes, but great as cooking outside is I'm not standing out in a 40 mph north wind and frying bacon when I have a perfectly good trailer 10 feet away. [emoji14]
Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Murphsmom

Ours went off even if I was only boiling water. The other problem we had was the location, which was over the slide when retracted and directly opposite from the stove. The first one fell off while we were on the road, and we only discovered that when the slide was extended and started to crunch it! Needless to say, the new one has a different location.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #13
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Removing "smokey, stale" air from the cabin is the aim of most of us who don't want to listen to the smoke detector. Admittedly, the range hood on many RV's isn't even vented to the outside, but forces the cooking odors/smoke back into the cabin. On some, the vent hood is open to the outside, but even with that improvement, the vent is inadequate for moving enough air to keep the cooking odors from triggering the smoke alarm.

One solution that worked for me is changing the vent hood fan assembly (not the entire range hood, just the fan assembly) with a "much improved" version. It's called the SAM-1 range hood and can be found here: http://www.rvvent.com/fabulousoperatingproducts.htm I upgraded last spring and even on our extended trip where we often cooked inside, we never had the smoke detector alarm. This mod moves more air on low speed than the old one did and is so much more quiet that we can actually use it without even noticing that it's turned on. It has 3 fan speeds and on high, moves almost as much air as the Fantastic fan that's in the bathroom. For us, it was a "win-win" even at the "steep cost".
Having a Raptor, I wonder will this fan fit in the microwave/hood configuration? How nice would it be to conserve battery eliminate noise and be able to control outer vent from inside without having to climb a ladder to unlock or lock!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Having a Raptor, I wonder will this fan fit in the microwave/hood configuration? How nice would it be to conserve battery eliminate noise and be able to control outer vent from inside without having to climb a ladder to unlock or lock!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I don't know if the new Raptor's have anything that's different or unique, so you might have some "Rube Goldberg" kind of microwave/vent hood" installed. I'd imagine your vent hood is a "standard build item, but I just don't know. What you could do, is get the information from the model/serial number sticker on your vent hood, contact the manufacturer (phone number is on their website) and discuss with them. I do know the SAM-1 conversion kit fits more than just one brand/style of range hood vent fans.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #15
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
How do you know when supper is ready if it doesn't go off ?

To be serious for half a second , why does it go off when your cooking? Negative pressure in trailer? No exhaust or fresh air ? Seems odd to me it goes off so much to start with.
Don't laugh guys but I did something that you never tell the wife, I actually read the instructions It say that when the detector senses the difference between the trailer on fire and the fact that your cooking sucks it'll beep once.
Also while reading it says that I don't have to push the middle button unless there's a major fire going on but by that time I think that I'd be more worried about the fire then a smoke alarm
Oh btw these are cheap, I think that I paid $50.00
Old 02-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #16
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't know if the new Raptor's have anything that's different or unique, so you might have some "Rube Goldberg" kind of microwave/vent hood" installed. I'd imagine your vent hood is a "standard build item, but I just don't know. What you could do, is get the information from the model/serial number sticker on your vent hood, contact the manufacturer (phone number is on their website) and discuss with them. I do know the SAM-1 conversion kit fits more than just one brand/style of range hood vent fans.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but the thought of a quiet runing stove vent, with a vent cover operated from inside, and lower amp draw sounded great! After thinking about it though, I'm pretty sure since it's built into the microwave it's probably on the AC 120 volt system, I'll have to go out to the TH and look to be sure. It sure is loud when it runs!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote