Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
binfordtools

Air Lift 1000 for LD Trucks

For what it's worth, I have now towed with and without these air-bags in similar driving conditions and found them to be beneficial.

I own a light duty truck (Ram 1500) and tow a ~30ft. trailer. When I first towed from the dealer, then again later on a freeway test trip, it was a bit like driving Jello. The TT man-handled my Ram like Chuck Norris would a criminal. I installed the air-bags, pumped them up to 50lbs. and drove again with noticeable improvements. Nothing will turn my 1500 into a 3500, but, for the $100 price tag, it does handle the TT much better and gives you slight piece of mind.
binfordtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by binfordtools View Post
Nothing will turn my 1500 into a 3500, but, for the $100 price tag, it does handle the TT much better and gives you slight piece of mind.
I am quite certain that you realize that the addition of airbags, helper springs and other similar "add ons" won't increase the towing capacity/payload of your 1500. Like you said, your truck is what it is and definitely not a 3500 .

Good luck with the towing.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
binfordtools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I am quite certain that you realize that the addition of airbags, helper springs and other similar "add ons" won't increase the towing capacity/payload of your 1500. Like you said, your truck is what it is and definitely not a 3500 .

Good luck with the towing.
Of course. Just needed something to help out the little fella until I can get a proper HD tow-vehicle. Leased the truck before I knew we were getting a camper.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
audio1der

Do you know their working maximum pressure is 33psi? You test them at 35, run at least 5psi all the time, but according to Airlift even though the bags themselves can handle 100psi, our coils have gaps large enough that at pressure over 35-40psi they will push themselves into the space between coils, pinch, and fail.

I love the Airlift 1000s, would probably prefer upgraded coils now that ours is a dedicated tow vehicle, but they work great for the price.
BTW, if you didn't use the 'T' connector and have a dedicated line to each bag, you're using the most stable setup. I really wanted the Y to work but it did little to combat sway, allowing air to move back and forth between the left and right bags.(realized this after 2 seasons and a 2nd kit)
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
jamesmc321

I had the helper bags (airlift) in my 150 sierra... when i got my new truck 1500 sierra - i had an extra leaf added by a local spring shop...

i will never go bag to bags; so much nicer, stops roll, i can actually feel my rear end planted to the ground (of the truck that is.... ).

with my bags, i still felt the sag and the bouncing front end driving down the road (kinda like a dolphin)
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
binfordtools

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmc321 View Post
I had the helper bags (airlift) in my 150 sierra... when i got my new truck 1500 sierra - i had an extra leaf added by a local spring shop...

i will never go bag to bags; so much nicer, stops roll, i can actually feel my rear end planted to the ground (of the truck that is.... ).

with my bags, i still felt the sag and the bouncing front end driving down the road (kinda like a dolphin)
Yeah, I don't get any of that in my truck. The ride without the trailer is exactly the same because I let most of the air out. With the trailer and about 50psi. the trailer and truck are almost perfectly level.

I have coil springs so there is no leaf to add. Full time HD rear coil springs would make the ride quality without the trailer suffer.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
jamesmc321

Quote:
Originally Posted by binfordtools View Post
Yeah, I don't get any of that in my truck. The ride without the trailer is exactly the same because I let most of the air out. With the trailer and about 50psi. the trailer and truck are almost perfectly level.

I have coil springs so there is no leaf to add. Full time HD rear coil springs would make the ride quality without the trailer suffer.

As long as we're all camping, thats all that matters
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote