Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2015, 05:20 AM   #1
bsmith0404

Interesting Comparison Article

The following link is another comparison of the big 3 diesel trucks. Too bad Ford didn't send a DRW like asked. That would have made the numbers more relevant, but the results are still interesting. I wish they would have provided more information on the performance of the exhaust brake as that is an important piece in heavy towing. Obviously each person will take what they want from the information provided, but I will say that the fuel mileage numbers seem to be pretty consistent with discussions I have had with owners of the 3.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...omparison.html

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

I bought the last-place truck (Ram 3500). I drove the Ford and have owned lots of Fords. I think the Ford felt faster and certainly had a wider RPM range.. Both the GM and the Ford may very well be better tow vehicles in terms of statistics.

I don't agree that the suspension of the Dodge is "marshmallow soft suspension feeling".

What attracted me to the Dodge came out of looking at diesel pushers - an affinity for the simplicity and repair-cost of the Cummins motor, especially when considering Cat motors.

Ford had much higher effective RPM range, which also means better exhaust breaking... But looking under that hood - the V8 is complicated, not very accessible, unlike the Cummins. The current generation of Ford V8 is well proven, but just taking a look at the two motors, I know which one I'd prefer to deal with.

I'm sorta oddball in that fashion I guess...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
bsmith0404

I'm not real familiar with the Dodge suspension so I can't say one way or the other if it feels marshmallow soft. I do know a lot of the transporters who have a Dodge add airbags. When I asked them why (3500s towing mainly 6-8000 lb RVs) they told me it makes the ride softer and keeps their teeth in place because the ride is harsh. Too me that doesn't sound marshmallow soft, but those aren't 2015 trucks either.

The article is just someone else's opinion of the big three. Their grading and results of which is best isn't anymore right or wrong than any others. They seem to have based their results on 3 or 4 tests. Other comparisons have looked at other factors and came up with different results/opinions.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
Barbell

After reading this article, guess we will wait a few more years to replace our old Dodge Diesel. (Can't get used to calling it a male sheep.) Our fuel mileage both loaded and empty is significantly better than as given for all the new models and the old girl pulls the Montana just fine. The only reason we have considered replacing her, besides the 175,000 miles, is the noise she makes compared to the new versions. I will just leave the hearing aids out and get some earplugs for the DW.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
larry337

The performance numbers are just for egos and sales ads. All three are plenty powerful enough for their intended purpose. Fuel economy is definitely important and GM has an edge there. It's nice but not a huge difference in real world usage. Ford does need a new interior and a remake, which should come in 2017. GM could use power folding and telescoping mirrors and the new flush mounted drop in fifth wheel hitch. Truck wars today remind me of the muscle car wars of the 60's and we all benefit with awesome trucks. I gravitate toward the Ford because I like the brand and image, I own three. But I like them all and think all trucks are cool! I will always compliment a nice truck. Drive what you like it's your money not mine!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

As was stated above the ads and comparisons anymore can show just about any vehicle of the big 3, compared to a like vehicle from the other manufacturers, with an edge in some category. Nowadays all the big 3 diesels are plenty powerful and reliable. It really comes down to ergonomics and trim levels it seems to me. I think they are all great and wouldn't hesitate buying any of them dependent on the criteria I mentioned.....and pricing. I do appreciate the OP sharing the info.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
larry337

I've had 5 Chevy trucks and 6 Ford trucks and I liked all of them. Never owned a Dodge but I like the newer ones.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 06-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
bsmith0404

I believe GM has power mirrors as of the 2015 model year (wish I had them on my 11). I'm not sure on the telescopic steering, I don't think GM has gone to that yet, but they need to. If I'm not mistaken both Ford and Dodge have.

The fuel mileage numbers seem to be pretty accurate based on my discussions with some owners. One day I was having lunch with another transporter, our trucks were sitting side by side in the lot (Dodge and Chevy). A gentleman approached us and asked which one got better fuel mileage, I just answered they get about the same. I honestly thought they did even though I had never asked him what he got. Later we discussed it and I found out we were both getting about 10.5-11 loaded, but the unloaded miles was 19 for me and 15.5 for him. I was really surprised because the older Cummins always did real well on fuel mileage.

As I, and others, have mentioned earlier, this article is just another perspective of a comparison based on someone else's opinion of what is or isn't important.

One thing I can't seem to figure out is the different articles/claims I have seen that the new trucks are more fuel efficient than ever before. I'm not seeing that. I have seen over and over that the fuel mileage of these new trucks is similar, but not better, and in many cases slightly worse than the older ones. Maybe they just get better mileage than the older ones would be capable of with current emissions requirements. After all, Ford did stop making what is arguably their best diesel, the 7.3, because they could not get it to meet emissions requirements.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I believe GM has power mirrors as of the 2015 model year (wish I had them on my 11). I'm not sure on the telescopic steering, I don't think GM has gone to that yet, but they need to. If I'm not mistaken both Ford and Dodge have.

The fuel mileage numbers seem to be pretty accurate based on my discussions with some owners. One day I was having lunch with another transporter, our trucks were sitting side by side in the lot (Dodge and Chevy). A gentleman approached us and asked which one got better fuel mileage, I just answered they get about the same. I honestly thought they did even though I had never asked him what he got. Later we discussed it and I found out we were both getting about 10.5-11 loaded, but the unloaded miles was 19 for me and 15.5 for him. I was really surprised because the older Cummins always did real well on fuel mileage.

As I, and others, have mentioned earlier, this article is just another perspective of a comparison based on someone else's opinion of what is or isn't important.

One thing I can't seem to figure out is the different articles/claims I have seen that the new trucks are more fuel efficient than ever before. I'm not seeing that. I have seen over and over that the fuel mileage of these new trucks is similar, but not better, and in many cases slightly worse than the older ones. Maybe they just get better mileage than the older ones would be capable of with current emissions requirements. After all, Ford did stop making what is arguably their best diesel, the 7.3, because they could not get it to meet emissions requirements.
Yeah the steering wheel is telescoping but I was referring to the mirrors. They are power folding and power telescoping for towing, I really like them. I heard Chevy for 15 is power but not sure if that means folding or telescoping or both. And the 7.3 was discontinued just because it was very old technology, it was replaced by the 6.0 in 2003 which was discontinued in 2008 for the 6.4 because of emissions. I suppose its possible emissions played into the demise of the 7.3 but I'd say it was more about technology and power. In stock form the 7.3 is a dog by today's standards, and LOUD. But it is bullet proof and easier and cheaper to fix.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 06-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
bsmith0404

My understanding of the 15 GM mirrors is telescoping, at least that's what I walked away with after talking to a guy that owns one, not sure on the folding part.

I took the info about the reason for the 7.3 replacement from a history of Ford diesel engines on wiki. I know wiki can be very questionable at times, but I also remembering hearing that somewhere else. Makes sense since the motor was nearly 10 years old at the time. The 6.0 was replaced by the 6.4 also due to stricter emissions regulations and questionable reliability.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I took the info about the reason for the 7.3 replacement from a history of Ford diesel engines on wiki. I know wiki can be very questionable at times, but I also remembering hearing that somewhere else. Makes sense since the motor was nearly 10 years old at the time. The 6.0 was replaced by the 6.4 also due to stricter emissions regulations and questionable reliability.
Could be I'm certainty no expert. Though I don't know what emission requirements might have changed circa 2003. Guessing newer and better technology, like fuel injection systems and turbo's may have contributed to the changeover. But then we all know how that (the 6.0l) worked out. Anyway, all 3 of these new trucks have a lot to offer.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 06-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
lightning79

I'm not an engineer, but I was wondering if the differences in speed feel and acceleration have anything to do with the fact that the Cummins is an inline six, while the other two are V8s? I've only ever driven one diesel truck, my own, and I don't feel mine is sluggish.

Thanks!

Kevin