Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
CTufte

Keystone Cougar warranty issue - Sofa

We have a 2105 Cougar 337FLS that we purchased at the end of October 2014. We were able to camp in in 1 night before it went into storage for the winter. In May it was taken out of storage and started checking to see what was needed to get the trailer ready for summer camping. It was then noticed that there were holes in the sleeper sofa and a tear in the L shaped Sofia that had had been patched and stapled. I have worked with the dealer regarding the warranty on it and Keystone is claiming that it is incidental damage and not warranted. That I need to work with the dealer as that damage was not noted at time of delivery. Who opens up a sleeper sofa at time of delivery to check for damage. If the lighting is not good in the trailer it is easy to miss the tear on the L shaped sofa but who ever tried to fix it used putty that is an off color and staples. Not acceptable for a new couch. Keystone also told me I was beyond 30 days of addressing the issue. Hard to camp in Minnesota from November through April and at times May and check everything out to make sure everything is OK. Is there anything you are aware of to correct this issue. See picture attached. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	8762  
CTufte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Get a shop that repairs sofa's get a price for the repair and ask if they will cover that. Sounds like they won't want to pay. So, do you want to battle for months and wait. I would have it fixed and pay to do so, just so it's done and done right.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #3
bsmith0404

The bad part about damage to fabric on furniture is that it's very difficult to prove that it was faulty vs abuse by the user. You can't blame a company for not wanting to cover something that was not noticed at the time of delivery. As far as they know, you could have caused the damage and now want them to pay. As with most items in RVs, the furniture is not made by Keystone, it comes from a supplier. It's possible the manufacturer may cover it, but as already mentioned, it may be worth it for peace of mind to just cut losses and have it fixed locally by a good repair shop.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
Javi

I generally chalk stuff like this up to SH and either fix it myself or get someone who know how to fix it.. Not worth the headache to deal with warranty... Now if I'd have seen it at walk thru.. I'd of squalled like a turpentined cat..
Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
Barbell

We had a similar situation in our Montana. The backs of both recliners had small tears shortly after purchase. Don't know when it happened; we may have done it when stowing them for travel. Camping World (did not purchase there) took it up with Keystone and both chairs were replaced. Of course not all dealings w/Keystone have been quite as pleasant but going through a good dealer helps.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
We had a similar situation in our Montana. The backs of both recliners had small tears shortly after purchase. Don't know when it happened; we may have done it when stowing them for travel. Camping World (did not purchase there) took it up with Keystone and both chairs were replaced. Of course not all dealings w/Keystone have been quite as pleasant but going through a good dealer helps.
I don't know this for sure, but there could be a different warranty consideration for Montana RV's and "other" Keystone products. Being the "luxury" model, Keystone may consider claims from Montana owners that they routinely reject in the less expensive models... As I said, I don't know this to be the company policy, but there may be some "special handling" for Montana RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
glenalt

The selling dealer should step up and replace the couch and deal with the Keystone.
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I'm a little late in this conversation and I've not had a couch replaced by Keystone, but, I did have a glider rocker I bought for the house. We used it for 11 months and one of the supporting bolts worked its way loose in the wood. I found the manufacturer, called them and asked if I could purchase new bolts (8) or a new lower assembly. They asked for the ID of the chair, looked it up and told me...."we're shipping you a new chair tomorrow; it's under warranty". I had no idea and certainly never expected a new chair. OP may just want to contact the manufacturer, explain the dilemma and see if they might just step in to help. Of all the parties involved in something like this the manufacturer of the product has the least to lose....just my 2 cents.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
CTufte

Sofa

Thanks for all responses. I think I will contact the manufacturer before I go back and work with the dealer.
Karen
CTufte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenalt View Post
The selling dealer should step up and replace the couch and deal with the Keystone.
Why? The owner has had the unit for 8 months. I don't see anyone absorbing the cost of damage on a unit that has been in the owners possession for 8 months.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote