Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
Thanks for all the input so far. What a great forum to hear from the pros and wannabe pros. I am still so new i have not yet bought our TT but have been doing my homework. Maxing out at a size appox GVWR 8000lbs but more likely 6200lbs,

Just my DW and I for our retirement travels. Please tell me your likes about your TV. Not really sold on any particular brand. Need more info on size 150 250 1500 2500 etc...
Can not wait to join all of you on the road
Since the thread seems to be wandering "on/off topic", vegascouple, have you received the information you're looking for? We're all looking forward to seeing you "on the road" when you've made your decision!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #22
bsmith0404

I wish the OP would come back with some more info on intended use. He is retiring, does that mean doing A LOT of traveling or setting up full time in a perm site somewhere? He wants to know what we like about our TV, but how does that relate to his needs? I love my 3500 DWR because it give me stability and payload with a 40', 15k lb 5er. Does that matter to him?

I've owned 2500 and 3500 GM TVs. 6.0 gas and dmax. If I was going to buy a new TV for the trailer he is pulling, it'd be a 2500 crew cab, standard bed dmax. Why, it's more than enough truck for what he has, more than enough power to get me anywhere I want to go, going to get much better fuel mileage when towing, more reliable for high mileage, and the Allison will still be running like new when other trannys are getting rebuilt. 2500s are more popular right now than 3500s, easier to find good low mileage used ones, and easier to sell. I've seen 3500s sitting on the lot when a 2500 is gone almost overnight. Justified, I don't think so, but realistic. When I towed an 8k lb 5er with a gasser, I was frustrated with gas mileage anywhere I went and lack of power in the mountains, I have never been frustrated with any of my diesels.

If you plan to do a lot of traveling, you will spend a lot of time IN your TV, make sure you are happy with the layout, the instruments, ease of use for all of the gadgets, and the comfort of the ride. For me, that's GM. Yes, Ford sells a lot of trucks, there are many, many companies that use the Ford fleet vehicles. I don't consider that a reflection on quality, GM is longest lasting truck on the road. That is probably partially due to the fact that Ford sells so many fleet trucks that are ridden hard and put away wet. They basically become a throw away truck by the time a company is done with them. Ram also sells a lot of trucks is different regions of the country, the Cummins is a proven powerhorse that you can't go wrong with, but they have their issues in other areas. There was a post on here a while back that showed the best selling vehicle by region. If you went to the Midwest, you're likely to see more GMs on the road. If I remember correctly, Ram was more popular out west, and Ford down through the central and southern states. Don't base your decision on what you see as being better, all you have to do is go to a different part of the country and you'll think you have made the wrong choice. Someone will read this and think I'm slamming Ford or Dodge because I'm a GM guy. All I'm doing is pointing out that you can't trust a sales slogan and there isn't a single truck out there that is the complete package. Find the one that is right for you, has the options you need/want, is in your price range, and don't worry about what everyone else has.

I transport RVs, I have a lot of friends in the industry that drive older Dodge's with manual transmission because of the simplicity of working on the older Cummins and the reliability of their manual trans. I laugh at them all of the time because they are doing just that, working on them, but again these are older, high mileage trucks. I know some day they will have a good laugh as well because my dmax is going to have some problems and I'll be wishing I had something as simple to work on as a Cummins. I doubt I'll ever have to worry about my Allison though. A few of the guys out there are running Fords, I don't run across very many (hard to believe with as many trucks as they sell), so I can't say much about what they are experiencing.

Good luck with whatever your choice is and enjoy the retired life.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
larry337

Diesel for me too. I enjoy the power and effortless towing. I'm not even going to get into the financial side of the decision, a diesel just does everything better. And a long bed gives you a bigger fuel tank. So if you have a short bed with a 26 gallon tank and a gasser that gets 8 mpg towing you are out of fuel at 200 miles. A long bed with a 37 gallon tank and a diesel getting 11 mpg gives you closer to 400 miles before needing fuel. It's a royal PIA trying to plan stops around a 200 mile window. But Ill stay out of the brand war discussion, All three make a great truck with pros and cons, I could be happy with any of them. I look at my truck as a tool, and when I buy a tool, any tool, that is just adequate for the job, I don't enjoy using it as much as a tool that might be considered overkill. You get what you pay for whether its a truck, power saw, drill, air compressor, or lawn mower. A quality tool is a joy to use. I used to mow my yard with a home depot quality riding lawn mower. I hated mowing, the cut was horrible, and it took me 3 1/2 hours. Now I mow with a professional grade zero turn and it takes an hour and a half and I love doing it. It's a joy to drive and the cut is amazing.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #24
dm1401

I recommend a 3/4 or 1 tonne. Reasons are:
1: You get better, bigger brakes.
2: Better cooling.
3: Less stressful towing- TV is heavier and gets pushed around less
4: Better suspension for heavier tongue weight, and with a TT he`s describing it will likely be in the 700+ lbs range.
5: Higher capacity tires from the factory.
6: Less of the we can`t pack that, we will be over weight.
7: etc.

That`s my opinion, and I have never towed heavy with a 1/2 tonne, but usually when I do see them they are nose high, and tail low, and getting pushed around by the wind, and in the last few years every accident I have seen on the highways with a TT involves a 26+ft TT and a half tonne.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote