Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
buzzcop63

2015 Silverado 3500 Test

For the big boy's who drive the 3500 Diesel trucks and tow heavy 5th wheels try this youtube test of the 2015 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD. The Silverado with the Duramax and six speed Alison transmission has a tow rating of 22,000Lb and in the video will be attached to two trailers, one goose neck and the other bumper pull, total weight of both trailers 19,000 Lb. The test will be up and down the Ike Gauntlet in Colorado, which is 8,000' up to just less than 12,000' with the Turbo Diesel. $65,300 list price for this heavy weight-towing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=NUpjnXc-XJQ
Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
C130

Nice video, but here's another one for you Dodge and Chevy guys There's another video where Ford compares the F450 against the Chevy and Dodge, great video also but the F450 smokes the competition. All three trucks are very nice but I hardly ever see a Chevy diesel around here and Dodge and Fords are everywhere. I see a lot of Dodge dually's though I think Ford still outnumbers them but it in the DRW trucks both are very common. Dodge seems to have really stepped up their game and their interiors are very nice. I think the new update on the Ford Superduty trucks, whenever that comes, will change the interior a lot and be in line with the Dodge.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
bsmith0404

The worst part is they are all getting over priced!. I was shocked to see the sticker price of a new, nicely equipped Dodge exceed $70K. I thought $65K for a Dmax was getting bad. It is unique how different trucks seem to sell better in different regions. As I travel across the country, I see pockets all over where one brand or the other seems to be dominate. According to sales numbers for the first half of 2014 (didn't find later numbers) Ford sold about 135k 250/350 trucks. GM about 75k, and Ram about 65k (I say about because the data was on a bar chart).

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It's strange how things seem to be "timed to correspond" so well....

Yahoo just did an article on popularity of vehicle brands by state.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...181118005.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The worst part is they are all getting over priced!. I was shocked to see the sticker price of a new, nicely equipped Dodge exceed $70K. I thought $65K for a Dmax was getting bad. It is unique how different trucks seem to sell better in different regions. As I travel across the country, I see pockets all over where one brand or the other seems to be dominate. According to sales numbers for the first half of 2014 (didn't find later numbers) Ford sold about 135k 250/350 trucks. GM about 75k, and Ram about 65k (I say about because the data was on a bar chart).
F250's around the Houston area are unbelievably common and DRW trucks are very commonplace also. A lot of horse trailers around my area and almost all are being pulled by DRW trucks. I am seeing new Ford Superduty trucks every day it seems, they appear to be selling like crazy right now around here. I swear I see more F250's than F150's here locally and the resale value is still crazy high. Yes, the prices are crazy and seem to just keep creeping up. I did get mine $11,000 off the MSRP which I thought was a pretty good price but still outrageously high.

Kinda funny story, about two weeks ago I was supposed to pick up my wife and daughter at a local Target parking lot. I was in my new black Ford dually truck with drive out tags. I told her where I would meet her and she pulls up and there's a new black Ford dually with drive out tags from the same dealer. They walk up to the truck and then realize it wasn't me when they see the guy sitting in the truck. I'm not sure what he thought but it was kinda funny.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

That is interesting, and I'm not at all surprised. I see a lot of GMs in the upper Midwest and as I travel west it seems to go through the cycle of Ford to Dodge. Kind of funny to see the Subaru in Colorado, ski bums This map really illustrates how people tend to buy what they see every day and feel comfortable with.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
F250's around the Houston area are unbelievably common and DRW trucks are very commonplace also. A lot of horse trailers around my area and almost all are being pulled by DRW trucks. I am seeing new Ford Superduty trucks every day it seems, they appear to be selling like crazy right now around here. I swear I see more F250's than F150's here locally and the resale value is still crazy high. Yes, the prices are crazy and seem to just keep creeping up. I did get mine $11,000 off the MSRP which I thought was a pretty good price but still outrageously high.

Kinda funny story, about two weeks ago I was supposed to pick up my wife and daughter at a local Target parking lot. I was in my new black Ford dually truck with drive out tags. I told her where I would meet her and she pulls up and there's a new black Ford dually with drive out tags from the same dealer. They walk up to the truck and then realize it wasn't me when they see the guy sitting in the truck. I'm not sure what he thought but it was kinda funny.
I am seeing a lot more DRWs than in the past. This is actually a little surprising with the push towards the 350/3500 SRW.

That's is funny. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "my" truck going down the road, but to have both with a dealer tag from the same dealer is not common.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
C130

The map is pretty interesting and funny how specific areas drive the same brand. It also appears pot smokers drive Subaru's. It's funny how the legalized states are Subaru drivers but not surprising.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
The map is pretty interesting and funny how specific areas drive the same brand. It also appears pot smokers drive Subaru's. It's funny how the legalized states are Subaru drivers but not surprising.
Didn't catch that...good observation.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
C130 -
Actually the biggest pot smokers in the USA are not from Washington or Colorado even though they may have legalized marijuana. The biggest users are those living in Alaska and Vermont and if you apply your same "logic" those folks would be driving Rams and GMC's not Subaru's.

You simply cannot equate pot smoking with the kind of vehicle a person drives. For example, North Dakotans are heavy beer drinkers - according to statistics. Does that mean that if you drive a Ford in ND that you are a heavy beer drinker? Using your line of reasoning that would be a fair assumption to make!

To come out and say that "pot smokers drive Subaru's" is not only incorrect but illogical IMO. I am wondering how you could jump to that conclusion?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
C130

It was a joke but the correlation between "legalized states" and "Subaru drivers" appears to be the same and that was the only thing I was really referring to and was not to be taken seriously. I don't know which states actually have the highest number of users and doubt the statistics are accurate anyways but it appears the states where it's legalized are the same as where the Subaru drivers are prevalent. Personally, I could care less as I don't care what people do as long as I'm not bothered or my safety is at risk.

Actually, out of everywhere I've traveled and I've traveled a lot since I do it for a living, Vancouver "appeared" to have the highest number from the smoke shops downtown and seeing people openly smoke marijuana. I'm not saying it is but sure appeared that way from my numerous personal experiences there. No, I'm not saying everyone in Vancouver smokes pot, just a lot of marijuana/drug paraphernalia shops and lots of people smoking it in the open. I actually wish people in Texas would start smoking more marijuana and drinking less alcohol and maybe it would slow them down. We have a terrible DUI issue and a very high DUI fatality rate. My county along with Harris County did have the highest DUI fatality rates, not sure if it still does but it's extremely high either way. Sorry for the thread drift, nothing personal I promise, and now back to the trucks.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
bsmith0404

I got a good chuckle out of it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
2014301ktmhauler

Those F-450s are awesome. Unless Chevy comes up with something close that would be my next truck.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014301ktmhauler View Post
Those F-450s are awesome. Unless Chevy comes up with something close that would be my next truck.
So far I love it but have only towed with it once, about two hours each way. I drive it to work also and can tell the difference in the 4.30 gearing and getting a little less mileage. That's the only drawback so far and if I drive right around 65 it really helps. I love the brakes pulling the trailer, much more comfortable feeling. Maybe that's just the DRW trucks in general but they are night and day from my F250.

I'm going to break it in for sure this summer as we are going up to the eastern part of Tennessee and back. The one thing I want before that trip is a new king pin and leaning towards the Trailair tri-glide. They just came out with a new version but they don't have it yet for my Lippert 1116 replacement. I want a smoother ride and something to help on the concrete joints. If I could reduce the chucking motion some I would be absolutely thrilled with the towing. On the smooth asphalt roads it was so quite and smooth there were times I was doing over 70 mph and didn't realize it at all.

We are big KTM fans too, my son just moved up to a 125SX and I'm still riding my 250SX after having a few 450SXF's.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #15
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Cool map. Fun.

Quote:
That is interesting, and I'm not at all surprised. I see a lot of GMs in the upper Midwest and as I travel west it seems to go through the cycle of Ford to Dodge. Kind of funny to see the Subaru in Colorado, ski bums This map really illustrates how people tend to buy what they see every day and feel comfortable with.

I'll have to throw the local knowledge in here. Between my wife and I we have:

- 2008 Lincoln LT (hers)
- 2001 Dodge DRW 3500 Cummins HO + mods (mine)
- 2004 GMC Yukon (ours - hauls the big dogs well)
- 2000 Subaru Outback (inherited from dad)

(There's also a Ford F450 TV news van with 40' pneumatic mast but we won't count that. It has a specific job. Haha.)

It was a snow day yesterday. I picked the Subaru to drive to work, hands down. In anything less than two feet of snow, it's utterly rock solid and nearly impossible to get stuck. I can't possibly beat it for commuting from our rural home into the city.

The Dodge of course, handles the heavy towing duties and gets driven a good amount as a commuter just because I like it.

She loves her "bling Ford". I don't like it as much as the others. The seats and interior hit me all wrong. I wouldn't do a road trip in it. She doesn't mind it.

The Yukon is the least used. 4WD system isn't as good as the others and its a short wheel base so it's squirrelly in slick conditions. It gets driven when we want a rolling la-z-boy, the interior is nicer than all the others for comfort. The doggies like the big hatch in the back.

You're right. Dad was a ski bum. RIP. He drove Jeeps and trucks for decades and was "converted" by other skiers. After he got the Subaru he couldn't stop raving about it. It just rarely comes unglued. And it'll get moving with almost no traction at all.

He also joked when he bought it that he might turn into a Boulder granola-hippie just for having bought the car. Haha. Two tours in VN and not a drop of entitlement/victim mentality in his bones. It really was the performance of the AWD system that sold him on it. Being a good foscal conservative, he bought used and paid cash. Hahaha.

(Not picking on political folk here. Just love the jokes. Subarus ARE known for their ability to be loved by a certain type of political thinker and I have no idea why. It's hilarious.)
Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #16
C130

Car types and stereotypes are funny to me but I think there's a lot of truth to them. I typically dislike BMW drivers though my wife has a 7 series so not sure what that says about me. I'd always wanted one but after having two now we are over it and not sure what we'll get next. What's really funny to me is the looks I get from the BMW/Mercedes/Lexus drivers while driving my big truck. We lived in The Woodlands, which is known for their snobbery, for 12 years which made driving my F250 that much better. This area is surrounded by big diesel trucks but with The Woodlands being right here we get lots of very expensive cars around also. I like the BMW but had rather drive my truck any day and same with my kids.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #17
bsmith0404

I used to be a ski bum, but never owned a Subaru, just saw a lot of them at the resorts and when I lived in Colorado. I just always associate them with skiing, actually more with snowboarders. My son has one, he and all of his friends are snowboarders, Subaru is their "dream car". When I was a mechanic I hated working on them, will never own one for that reason!

It is funny how some car owners act. The best part, most of the trucks we drive cost more than the BMW's, Lexus', and Mercedes on the roads, but some will still look down their nose at those who drive a truck. That's okay, they'll never understand and I'm not going to waste my time to try to educate them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #18
roadglide

Quote:
I'm a member of the duramax forums really good information like keystone forums .
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #19
bsmith0404

I am too. I check it out from time to time. That is where I first heard about transfer case fluid evaporating. Good info there.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE