Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
AkGuy

Question Black tank

Hi from Alaska! I am new to the forum, but it looks like a good place to gather wisdom. I'm picking up a 30' long 2007 Raptor bumper pull toy hauler this week end. It has a 28 gallon black water tank which is to small in my opinion. Has any of you ever replaced your black water tank with a bigger one? I would like one that holds 50 gallons or more if possible.
AkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkGuy View Post
Hi from Alaska! I am new to the forum, but it looks like a good place to gather wisdom. I'm picking up a 30' long 2007 Raptor bumper pull toy hauler this week end. It has a 28 gallon black water tank which is to small in my opinion. Has any of you ever replaced your black water tank with a bigger one? I would like one that holds 50 gallons or more if possible.
Usually the manufacturer nestles the largest tank that will fit in an area of the chassis frame.

You will have to take off the underbelly and see exactly see the space the tank uses.

Carrying a blue tank around to dump the black when full might be your only option.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum !

As stated above, all the tanks are inside the framework, under the floor. Your going to have at least 3 separate tanks, fresh water, gray water and black. I doubt your going to have any room left over for a bigger tank, specially if you have a fuel tank too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

to the Forum From Western PA.

CONGRATS on your RAPTOR from a Raptor owner !! ENJOY

As already stated by others these tanks are located within the frame and there is only so much room there for Fresh, Black and Gray tanks. The largest I recall on a Raptor is a 39 gallon black tank.

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
mamawildbear

It entirely depends on how long you are camping for but if you are a casual weekend camper, I think you should be totally fine with 28 gallons. We have a family of 4 and for 5 years we camped with a 5 gallon cassette toilet. We had a #1 only rule and would often use the park toilet during the day (although not if it were far away). On a longer trip (6 days) we would use it for nighttime only. We never had to empty mid trip.

We've got a much larger tank now, a 42 gallon but we only use a fraction of the tank even when freely using it as much as we like. I know this because when trying to clear the stupid sensors at the end of spring break I filled it entirely with water by flushing. I flushed and flushed and flushed.... I had to stand on that thing for 20 minutes before it finally got full. I started counting "potty visits" based on how long I was flushing and I got to 50 before I got bored. So even with 2/3 of what ours is, I would think you should be fine for normal trips. Longer ones, you might need to revert to nighttime only to conserve space but most of the time that was not onerous for us at all.

We did finally break our #1 only rule though. I had an upset stomach all week during Spring Break and had to pull the medical emergency card on my hubby. it wasn't terribly horrible dumping but not as odorless as when it is a yellow tank instead of a black one.
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote