Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
EdB

Not a happy Keystone owner.

I currently own a 2015 Keystone Cougar 21RBS. I purchased my trailer back in October 2014 and took possession the last weekend of October 2014. The dealer needed to pick up my trailer 10 November 2014 for repairs and returned it on 2 January 2015. During that time I was back and forth with the dealer and Keystone RV. Both the dealer was unable to fix one of the issues because Keystone RV flat out said it is not a problem it is a design flaw (my stereo would fade out when my TV was turned on). I also had an issue with the touch screen remote for the awning, slide out etc. When I called the dealer and Keystone RV no one could fix my issue. My shower door was incorrectly installed and leaked, the dealer "fixed" the door, well it still leaks. I ended up fixing the stereo issue, I fixed the remote issue and now I feel I need to fix the shower door issue, which Keystone refused to reimburse me for. The knowledge base of the dealer I feel is below average and I also feel the the customer service department of Keystone needs to learn more about what they sell. I have used my trailer twice and I really am considering trading it in for a different make, doubting the longevity of the trailer and am not looking forward to may years of repairs.

Ed B

Northern NJ
2015 Cougar 21RBS
2004 Ford F-250 Crew Cab
http:n2qjn.com
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
raineman

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about your troubles with your trailer and trying to get them resolved. From what I read I am wondering if this is a dealer issue more than a Keystone issue. My understanding is that the dealer has to (needs to) go to bat for you with Keystone when needed. Sad it has to be that way these days. I hope you are able to get things worked out. Have you asked your situation to be escalated to Keystone management?

Also, not sure if you have tried yet, but I have had success with contacting a dealer's owners/management to express the situation. Please keep us posted
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
GaryWT

I too am sorry you are having issues. As stated above, a good dealer makes all the difference, they can get Keystone to agree to things if worded correctly. I always work with the dealer to get things done. I would never dream of calling Ford to get my truck fixed so why call Keystone to get the trailer fixed. That said, I know you want everything perfect with a new rig but these issues seem somewhat small and it seems that you have taken care of them. Nove of them have a direct line to Keystone as they do not make tv's, radios or remotes. Yes they did install the door wrong so shame on them. We had a shower leak once and a little chaulking took care of it.

Sometimes it is easier to fix things yourself that hauling the rig into the dealer.

Good luck going forward.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

x3 I'm sorry for the problems. The dealer (to me) is the key. I also think you have to have a mindset that you will fix what you can. The first year is a shakedown period; I know, my poor little trailer has been in the shop this past year more than I've had it. Not any big stuff (other than the fenders blowing off twice) but I just wanted them to "get it right". My dealer is only 55 miles away. It would be a different story if it was a long haul. Good luck. The issues you've mentioned aren't serious and hopefully once resolved you will be on the way to a happy, and uneventful, future
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
x96mnn

If these are the only bugs you have found and are near or have them fixed, may be worth holding onto it for a little while longer. Most campers in this area have a few items that need repair but once you have the bugs out they usually hold up.

There are lemons though, not sounding like you have one but again outside looking in.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
mazboy123

now that everything (almost) is fixed, enjoy. don't trade it in, you won't get anything.

just enjoy the summer. sad, but part of the fun of owning a trailer is learning how to fix it yourself.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:17 AM   #7
Scttw

Not to repeat what everyone else said - but the relationship you have with the dealer and MORE IMPORTANTLY the relationship your dealer has with Keystone is the most important.

A couple weeks ago my wife remembered our soap dispenser in our island stopped working last fall. The dealer didn't see it yet but put the warranty for a new one through and it was approved immediately by Keystone (same day). Come May they will come up and replace it where we are parked full-time. The dealer you buy from is critically important. There was a thread on this topic not long ago.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:53 AM   #8
Campy

The sad reality is that if a person has or very limited mechanical ability the he/she is at the mercy of the dealer. The service industry has a whole lot of "buck passing" going on and that's a real shame for the industry as a whole. Dealers hate doing warranty work and the manufacturer has the dealer for that job. When most repairs crop up on my own camper I just do the repairs myself and go on. Calling the dealer will just get my blood pressure up and in most case I know I can do the job better anyway. For instance the leaky shower mentioned above, in my 2011 Coachman we found water on the main floor every time we took a shower. I had to lay in the front storage as the wife took a shower to find it and it turned out to be the sealing job to seal the walls to the shower pan. We took that camper back twice before I just fixed it myself and we just couldn't explain to the service writer that the sealant had to be on the outside of the walls to stop it from leaking, they just couldn't see what I was getting at!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:03 AM   #9
jrp

Ed B, not sure what your previous RV ownership experience is; I've owned 8 different RV's mostly from different Mfgs. They all have quality & assembly issues, they all try to minimize warranty work, and the dealers try to get by with as little as they can. I've always found that fixing the small stuff myself was easier and much less frustrating.
Trading now for a different mfg's rig will most likely just put you back in the same situation you started.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
EdB

Thank you everyone. My relationship with my dealer is not that good. The dealer knows less about the camper then I do. I just can't believe Keystone don't care. You would think they would at least act like they care. As much as I want to just get rid of it I won't. I will fix what I need to fix and move on.I owned a 1992 Terry, I hadbissjes but it was used, you would think a new model issues would be nill dealer and mamuifacture would care. Thank you all for listening and your input

Ed B

Northern NJ
2015 Cougar 21RBS
2004 Ford F-250 Crew Cab
http:n2qjn.com
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 AM   #11
jkohler70

Perhaps you could call the BBB, or at least inform the dealer of your plans. The BBB website will often show any complaints against a business, and whether they are resolved or the business is uncooperative.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #12
BOWWOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Ed B, not sure what your previous RV ownership experience is; I've owned 8 different RV's mostly from different Mfgs. They all have quality & assembly issues, they all try to minimize warranty work, and the dealers try to get by with as little as they can. I've always found that fixing the small stuff myself was easier and much less frustrating.
Trading now for a different mfg's rig will most likely just put you back in the same situation you started.
I agree, I have little to no faith in RV manufacturers or the dealers to step up and do the right thing.
After owning my Fuzion for 4 years I have replaced so many critical parts myself that the only reason I still call it a Fuzion is because of the VIN #.
Now it finally resembles a properly functioning RV renamed Confuzion!

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issues, not happy, warrenty