Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

Pismo beach with a 40' th

Hello,

Looking to make our first trip to pismo. We will be camping at a RV park for the first time to get the lay of the land.

My questions are with a 40' 16k 5er how will it do in the sand? Been looking it up and know to cross the river At low tide and to air down to 20psi. Any tips or tricks?
Bman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Probably the biggest "tip" is to mark the high tide mark and don't go any closer to the water than that. Dragging 8 tons behing a 4x4 in loose sand, even with the tires aired down can be a difficult and maybe an impossible task.

Remember that ST tires are not like LT tires. At full load (where ST tires are usually operated) airing them down can cause as much potential damage as ignoring them on the highway at 65MPH. Have you got any information on what extremely low pressure will do to ST tires? I wouldn't even bet that they will stay on the rims with only 20 PSI in them. I'd do some serious checking with the tire manufacturer or with an ST tire "expert" before I dragged something that big "across a river at low tide" and onto a beach.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

I have LT tires.... That's why we are camping at a park for the first trip and checking it out. Been doing a lot of reading and it looks like folks are taking triple axel raptors out there.... Guess I just want to see that for my self first
Bman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like a, "Here, hold my beer and watch this" moment to me..... That's a big investment to watch the tide come in while it's axle deep in wet sand......

We did the grunion runs in the 70's with a cab-over camper on a 4x4 truck. There were 6 of us and we were towing each other in and out of trouble the whole weekend. I'd be reluctant to do what we did without lots of "help" for those "deep sand" moments......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
halfprice

My neighbor let his in-laws borrow the motor home to take to Pismo. Long story short they got stuck in the sand, tide came in, and the motorhome was totaled by the ins.

I want to do Pismo also but I'll be happy staying in an rv park with full hook ups. If I want to go to the water I'll just walk from the cg.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
randy69

Went to pismo state beach on 4th July. What a great time we had. Watched alot of trailers motor homes getting stuck in the sand. Usually someone had a 4 wheel drive to help out the poor souls. There're was a guy with a tractor charging hefty price to pull you out. After we got back to our house it was time to clean OMG. Sand everywhere, even after a year I would find sand in places you wouldn't even think of. Next time I will rent a rv.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
sw342
Permanent User Ban

The only reason to go out and stay on the beach is if you have toys you are taking along. Everyone I know goes there to ride and party. Not sit on the beach and play in the water unless you want to get run over. Always best to go with other rigs to "circle the wagons" and put a bunch of plywood up around the outside perimeter of the trailers to help as a wind break. It can blow out there at times and you will never get all the sand out of the trailer.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
bobbecky

Might call a few tow truck outfits, get an estimate for getting unstuck from the beach, and either make sure you have plenty of cash to get pulled out or just keep that heavy rig on pavement. Getting it pulled out will put an enormous strain on the kingpin and hitch, could do serious damage to the frame also. It would make a very good video for you tube to see a rig like that getting pulled out though
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote