Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
gearhead

Yeah, I thought about that. I was looking at it and thinking about angled buttresses in from both sides, but that would block ever getting the water tank out.
I don't think this is Smitty's first rodeo. I'll see where they want to go with it.
http://www.smittysrvwelding.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
Remember that if you have any tanks, fresh or gray and black at the back of the camper you do not want the hitch welded to the frame at some point in time you might have to get at the tank and if not you the next owner. My welding shop welded four pieces down from the frame and then built the hitch to fit in between them and bolted with four bolts through each of the four plates. Very strongly built!!!!
Mine was constructed pretty much to avoid blocking the coroplast or the tank above it. Mine spans the entire 6' from frame rail to frame rail, drops down about 6" and is almost completely behind the most rearward frame cross-member. From under the trailer, even the coroplast screws are accessible in front of the hitch framework. It's definitely something that needs to be considered. With the "luck" most of us have, as soon as the hitch "obscures" the FW tank, it will start leaking

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #23
gearhead

Got 'er done. A couple of good welders at Smitty's worked the better part of the day on it. New bumper is .250" wall thickness. Welded the receiver into the middle of the bumper. I gained 2" of clearance. I put the spare tire back on it and dove into Houston rush hour traffic to drive the 40 miles back home. Stopped at a scale and weighed with a full tank of water, drained the tank, and weighed again. Check my other thread for results. I'm whupped...Houston traffic is a killer. Hello Evan Williams...!
I'll download the pics tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
gearhead

Here's what Smitty's did:
Removed the stock bumper and the 4" extensions that it was welded to.
Left the 2" x 2" square tubing that is welded to the bottom of the frame.
Fabricated 4" x 26" x .250" "wings" to weld to the frame on both sides of the 2x2.
The 2x2 was 100% welded to the frame. The wings were welded one a time to the bottom of the frame and the existing 2x2. Every place that could be welded was. So I have about 20" of the wings welded 100% to the frame.
The new bumper is .250" wall and was cut open and the receiver was welded into the center of it.
I gained some ground clearance, and some clearance between the bumper and rear of the trailer wall. Mostly I gained a lot of confidence in the bumper and what I can hang on it. I told Smitty's that all I wanted to do was carry the spare and a couple bicycles. I think I can do that.
It wasn't cheap. Two welders for 7 hours, plus materials came to $625 drive out.
Pics are before, during, and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00633.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	7537   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00638.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	7538   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00645.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	7539   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00648.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	7540  
Old 01-07-2015, 06:09 AM   #25
Bunkhouse

Does this void the warranty on the frame ?
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:20 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkhouse View Post
According to the Keystone Owner's Manual, Yes, this does void the warranty on the frame.

However, I think (just my opinion) that it would be a "hard sell" on Keystone's part to deny a claim on an unrelated part of the frame. For example, if there were a problem with the pinbox, superstructure of a fifth wheel, or in the case of a travel trailer, the A frame/coupler or crossmembers/outriggers should have a problem, I don't think (again, my opinion) that Keystone/Lippert could deny coverage for component failure.

However, the Owner's manual does contain this exclusion to the warranty, "• Damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations to the structure, body, pin box, or frame of the recreational vehicle including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing, or platforms for supporting cargo;..."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #27
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkhouse View Post
There is debate on this, I have never actually seen anything in writing saying it does. The dealership installed the receiver hitch on all 3 of the 5ers I have owned. It has become so common, they actually keep them in stock. At no point was I advised or had to sign anything saying the installation of the hitch would void my warranty.

Now, if you had a frame failure that can be PROVEN to have been caused by the hitch or overloading, I'm sure they could deny a claim.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
There is debate on this, I have never actually seen anything in writing saying it does. The dealership installed the receiver hitch on all 3 of the 5ers I have owned. It has become so common, they actually keep them in stock. At no point was I advised or had to sign anything saying the installation of the hitch would void my warranty.

Now, if you had a frame failure that can be PROVEN to have been caused by the hitch or overloading, I'm sure they could deny a claim.
Look at this: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual

Click on the top link: Revision 4/1/14.

Check page 8, third "triangle with the exclamation point", second bullet statement: "Damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations to the structure, body, pin box, or frame of the recreational vehicle including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing, or platforms for supporting cargo; ..."

If you contact Keystone Customer Service and ask the question, they will direct you to this provision in the Owner's Manual and inform you that any addition of a hitch, even a bolt on bumper hitch, will void your warranty. They won't tell you "how much of the warranty is voided", but will simply keep referring back to that statement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #29
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:

The warranty exists between the original owner/purchaser (in this case, you) and the manufacturer - Keystone. The dealership is not in a position to ask you to sign anything since they are not a party to the warranty. The dealership may advise you that any modifications or additions they do could void the warranty but I doubt whether they would do this for two reasons: (1) they could be turning away business; and (2) they are under no obligation to advise you since it is your responsibility to know all the terms of the warranty.

It is also possible that the dealership may not be familiar with all of the warranty terms -- what is covered, not covered and what will void the warranty.

That is why it is important for the buyer - especially during the first year - to exercise caution before doing any modifications or additions to the frame or structure of the RV. While the chances of any subsequent damage caused by those changes are remote, they do exist and the owner should know their possible impact upon the warranty.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #30
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Look at this: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual

Click on the top link: Revision 4/1/14.

Check page 8, third "triangle with the exclamation point", second bullet statement: "Damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations to the structure, body, pin box, or frame of the recreational vehicle including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing, or platforms for supporting cargo; ..."

If you contact Keystone Customer Service and ask the question, they will direct you to this provision in the Owner's Manual and inform you that any addition of a hitch, even a bolt on bumper hitch, will void your warranty. They won't tell you "how much of the warranty is voided", but will simply keep referring back to that statement.
Yep, have seen that, but it says the warranty does not cover damage CAUSED by the addition/modification of these items. It does not say that adding them voids the warranty. Going back to the question of does it void the warranty, some will say yes, I still say no (debatable), but it does give them an out to a claim if they can prove the damage was partially the result of the modification. IMO, I'm not going to get concerned about adding a receiver hitch to the last 6" of the frame so I can add a bike rack. If 150 lbs in rack and bikes hanging off the back of two 12" I-beams which supports a 15k lb RV is going to cause a failure...I think there are other issues. If a person is hooking up to a 3k lb boat/trailer, maybe a little more to be concerned about, but you see them all over and seldom hear about frame failures.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 01-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

I think you're arguing semantics. If you're brave enough to be a test case, go for it. I won't advise anyone on the forum to go ahead, modify your frame by adding a hitch, and IF you have any problems, just "duke it out with Keystone" I strongly believe, based on my experience with Keystone that they would refuse any claim on the frame from the axles back if there was a hitch welded to the frame. The forward part of the frame? Who knows, but I wouldn't expect Keystone to jump at fixing anything if the frame has been modified by the owner.

I think the appropriate way to answer a new member's question is to give sound advice that helps them stay within the "intent" of the answer, not to "go out there" and advise them to "live on the edge"

Since the member asked the question and is obviously concerned with whether or not installing a hitch could affect his warranty, the appropriate answer is to give them the information provided in the owner's manual and if there's any interpretation, to provide what background I know (or have personally experienced) and let them make their own judgment.

I wouldn't argue the "right or wrong" of pushing the envelope to the edge and then suggesting that "if you read it this way, I think it means..." Honestly, since Keystone wrote the warranty, the ONLY appropriate interpretation is the "Keystone's way of looking at it". It's not within the realm of the forum to "urge members to do it anyway and then find out if we told you the right or wrong answer."

I'll maintain that modifying the frame will cause warranty claim denial if the modification can be, in any way tied to the failed component. So, the "short answer" is: "Yes, modifying the frame will void the frame warranty, however as stated in my second paragraph of the first response, "I don't think Keystone/Lippert could or would deny a claim on a different part of the frame that wasn't affected by the modification". (That's my thought, and Keystone may well deny any claim on any part of the frame if any part of the frame has been modified in any way. At least that's what I read from their exclusion.

You may interpret it differently, that's certainly your prerogative, but I think it would be inappropriate to suggest to a member that he should install a hitch and not be aware of and concerned with the possibility of warranty denial of any frame problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #32
bsmith0404

Not sure where I advised a member to install a hitch, I just answered a question of does it void the warranty. Based on my reading of the warranty, and my experience, it does not. The warranty states failure caused by the modification, which in my original response I stated they could deny a warranty claim that was related to the hitch being installed. I believe that is an accurate statement.

Do I install them on my RVs? Yes. I personally don't see an issue with it and it makes the use for my purposes easier/doable. Each person has to make their own decision on modification they make to their equipment. This forum and this thread is full of posts about bumper modifications, rack modifications, and hitches added to trailers because the OE ones quite frankly, are junk.

Btw, I was not debating your original response to the member, if you look at the time of our postings they are listed at 1 minute apart, I was writing my original response at the same time you posted and never saw your response.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #33
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Since the member asked the question and is obviously concerned with whether or not installing a hitch could affect his warranty, the appropriate answer is to give them the information provided in the owner's manual and if there's any interpretation, to provide what background I know (or have personally experienced) and let them make their own judgment.

bsmith0404 wrote: "Each person has to make their own decision on the modification they make to their equipment".

It seems that both you and JRTJH are saying pretty much the same thing: Owners should be aware of what is in the owner's manual regarding Keystone's warranty and with this information they are able to make a more informed decision. In the end, it is the owner's choice - based in large part to how the warranty is interpreted.

Since the OP has already carried out the bumper modification, it might be time to put this discussion to rest.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:01 AM   #34
bsmith0404

I agree we are saying the same thing. The warranty question was asked by a different member not the OP.

I will add/modify my original response a bit for clarification. As already stated, the dealer is not required to inform if an add on item voids a warranty. I misspoke in my statement of such.

As for a modification or add on part voiding a warranty, the legal answer according to the Magnuson-Moss Act is no. Keystone states in their owners manual that any failures caused by or related to a modification can be denied. This is a correct/legal statement. According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a manufacturer/warrantor must prove that the failure was caused by the modification. This holds true for not only add on parts such as hitches, but also add on parts such as a performance exhaust on a TV. Hope this provides clarification on warranty laws vs modifications made.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #35
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
I agree we are saying the same thing..
Now that we have "all agreed to agree" .... let's move on.