Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
cabinfever

RV antifreeze at Tractor Supply

Just bought there and it is only $3 a gallon. Best price I have seen.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Bluewater

Ace Hardware here has it for $1.99 here. Great deal. I stocked up.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
GaryWT

What is Home Depot this year? Usually around $3 I think.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Quad

My local ace was $5 a gal. Same as my local Home Depot $5 a gal. But I was able to order a 6 pack on ace's website shipped to their store for $17.99. So that's about $3 a gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
cabinfever

My local HomeDepot was $5.99. WalMart was $3.49. Autozone $4.

2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
Old 10-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Angry

Local ACE Hardware store $2.99 on sale and with ACE CARD another $1.00 off.

Final Price $1.99, Bought 4 for this year, used three last year. Should have bought more
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
rnkburg

Check lowes and wal mart as well. I take my phone with price into my local advanced auto and they price match the best price I find saving me the time to go all the way to the big box stores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #8
zuley

I found out this past weekend from a friend in the marine business that there are two types of "pink" rv antifreeze on the market. One is ethylene based which is the lesser expensive of the two. If you notice on the bottle it will probably say "for plastic pipes only" meaning it is corrosive to anything other than plastic pipes including your water pump. The other is polyethylene based which does not have any ethelyne alcohol in it. This is generally about twice the price of the less expensive product. I had already had mine winterized using the less expensive product. It was while helping him winterize his boat engines that we had this discussion. Next year I will know better for the extra 8 bucks it will cost.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:03 AM   #9
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
I found out this past weekend from a friend in the marine business that there are two types of "pink" rv antifreeze on the market. One is ethylene based which is the lesser expensive of the two. If you notice on the bottle it will probably say "for plastic pipes only" meaning it is corrosive to anything other than plastic pipes including your water pump. The other is polyethylene based which does not have any ethelyne alcohol in it. This is generally about twice the price of the less expensive product. I had already had mine winterized using the less expensive product. It was while helping him winterize his boat engines that we had this discussion. Next year I will know better for the extra 8 bucks it will cost.
I've never seen pink colored ethylene glycol antifreeze. Ethylene should all be the neon green/yellow color. Ethylene glycol is extremely toxic and should never be put in your RV' system. Automotive antifreeze is the ethylene glycol.

RV antifreeze should be made from propylene glycol, which is on the FDA's GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list, or ethanol (grain alcohol - the stuff that's in vodka and all those other adult beverages)

Hopefully you meant ethanol rather than ethylene.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #10
jsmith948

Just checked the anti-freeze we purchased at Wally World last year.
Ingredients: Ethyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Water, Di Potassium Phosphate, Colorant, Fragrance.
This is the "Super Tech" brand and comes 'ready to use' - no mixing required.
Protection to -50*.
This stuff was very inexpensive - perhaps the $5+ stuff is a concentrate?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
BirchyBoy

There are a couple pink ehylene glycol antifreeze's on the market for engines. Some Lexus vehicles use pink and there is some marketed for fleet trucks. Maybe the marine guy uses one of these for their motors?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
You are correct, there are many more than "two types" of "pink" antifreeze. This website lists all the different "pink" antifreeze manufactured by CAMCO.

http://www.camco.net/Products/?d=Antifreeze

As you can see, the major difference is the ingredients.

ARCTIC BAN (commonly sold at Walmart, ACE, etc) contains A blend of Ethyl Alcohol, Glycol, Denaturants

WINTER BAN (commonly sold at marine facilities) contains PROPYLENE GLYCOL

Either can be used in RV water systems, but PROPYLENE GLYCOL is recommended in "MARINE ENGINES" because it does not cause corrosion.

Another way to state it is: Prop glycol is safe for everything. Ethanol will cause corrosion in the engine (metal).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #13
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
There are a couple pink ehylene glycol antifreeze's on the market for engines. Some Lexus vehicles use pink and there is some marketed for fleet trucks. Maybe the marine guy uses one of these for their motors?
Did some googling and you're right. DOW and GLA both make a pink colored ethylene glycol, which is highly disturbing since it's toxic and accidentally putting it in your freshwater system could end up being fatal.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
cabinfever

Tractor Supply Traveller brand is made with Propylene glycol. The Ethanol based product will also dry out rubber and some plastics it comes in contact with. Ethanol based product are also much more flammable. Glad I started this conversation, I have learned a few things about that "pink stuff" I did not know before!

2013 Springdale 303BHSSR