Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
hankaye

2008 278RKS satillite hook-up

Howdy All;

The guys with the BIG trailers are having a discussion about hooking up the Sat. they ALL have multipul connections in multipul locations to do it with.

This trailer is smaller and much simpler. it has ONE coax outlet in the ent. ctr. and only ONE coax connection point in the bedroom. Both the Coax connections have a 110 ac outlet next to them for elect. There IS an outside connection for cable. Back by the water connection

As I just bought this (tomorrow will be 2 weeks ), I thought I'd ask to see how anyone else may have connected to the high-in-the-sky sender of hypnotic visions.....

Also would like to ask which service you use and how good is your reception. I'll most likely stay in the 4 corners States....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences.

hankaye
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Jim W

Hankaya,
I have a 318SAB Cougar, with the multiple connections like you describe. I did not want to take apart the wiring nor did I want to bypass the amplifier switch for the standard Winegard antenna. So I installed a weather proof connection for the satellite Dish in the RH slide floor. The connection is under the cabinet in the entertainment center slide out. This is not visible nor will it see any weather when the slide is in.
The cable is run through the entrainment center and then exits the wall with the rest of the cables for the TV. Both antenna wires and cable wire are routed to the DISH receiver box and then one coaxial cable is routed from the receiver box to the TV.
I like Dish since this is what we have at home and I have established an account with them on the road when we are RVing. I believe Direct TV, will work just as will in fact they have a special in Trailer Life were you can get the antenna for free for the RV.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Smitty

This is sort of a long post but I just finally figured out my jacks too. I have one outside connector for coax which is labeled satellite in my wet bay. The outside jack is also used to for the cable feed. Behind the TV there is a plate which houses a double (two) jacks in it. There is another plate which houses the TV antenna (on top of the trailer) jack along with a 12 volt plug and the TV antenna booster button. From the factory, mine had a small 6” coax screwed into the two jacks that are in the plate with the double jacks (I still have not figured that one out). The bottom jack in that plate is the one that gets the feed from the outside satellite/cable jack. This is the one I use to hook up to my Direct TV Receiver or Cable.
For Satellite, I run a coax cable out of the bottom jack and put it into the input in the back of the receiver. I then use a S video cable out of the output of the receiver to the TV rather than using the coax out, as it gives me a better picture. I also use that same bottom jack for Cable. If I’m running cable I just use a piece of coax out of the bottom jack and run it directly to the coax cable input on the back of the TV. I just leave the “S Video” hooked up from the Direct TV receiver box to the TV so I don’t have to mess with it next time I’m on satellite. The top jack in the double box is used to feed to the bedroom. If I’m on cable, I use a splitter to send the signal to both TV’s. I use a short piece of coax which goes into the bottom jack (which is getting the feed from outside jack). I then put the other end of the short cable into the input on the splitter. Then using the two outputs on the splitter, I run one short piece of coax from one ouput on the splitter to the top jack which feeds the bedroom TV while the other output is run directly to the coax jack on the back of the TV up front. Keep in mind the double jacks and so forth reside directly behind the TV up front in the living room.

There is only one jack in the bedroom which feeds both cable/satellite and antenna feeds to that TV. If I switch between antenna and cable I have to re-program the TV by going through the on screen menu and switch from cable to antenna and vise versa. I then re-scan channels that I’m receiving. For the bedroom TV on satellite I just leave it on channel 3 which I set up as follows. Using my Winegard carryout and I want to see satellite in both the front living room and bedroom (I’m only using one receiver) I run the coax from the carryout to the satellite input in my wet bay then use the bottom jack (from the one in the double plate) behind the front TV and run that to the Direct TV Receiver “satellite in” and again, I use a “S Video” cable for the output to the front TV. I then use a coax cable and run it from the “out to TV jack” on the back of the Direct TV receiver and put it into the top Jack of the double plate which feeds the bedroom TV. I can only change the channel from up front since that’s where I have the receiver. If I had two receivers I could probably put a separate one in the back for the TV. When I’m on cable, I don’t have that problem and can change channels on both TV’s after changing them in the menu from antenna to cable and again running the scan to setup the cable channels. Hope all this makes sense but that’s how I do it.