Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Pmedic4

LED Lights -different types of bulbs

I've been slowly converting the RV fixtures to LED, and have done several versions. The first ones I got, were the shape of the bulb, with LEDs all the way around, and I thought that didn't make sense as 1/4 of the light would be shining up towards the fixture. I hadn't seen any like STEVE S shows, but found some of the small little flat panel types of fixtures, called 'Festoon type'.

I found I liked the Festoon type a little better, as all the light shines down, which makes more sense. The bulb assembly just sticks to the top of the light fixture with a small self adhesive pad. They also come in various sizes, with either 20, 24, 32, 36 and even 48 LEDs, so you can pick which one you need for a specific area in your RV. Plus, to avoid the problems with the polarity, these come with several bulb bases, which are interchangable, and you can also turn the 180 degrees if you need to by simply twisting the wire.
I did find that all of them are sort of positional sensitive, and had to put them in several times to make them work, plus rotate 180 degrees for some polarity issues - at least you have a 50/50 chance!

Festoon type fixture.

Name:   LED Festoon 2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  3.3 KB

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Steve S

I looked at and like the Festoon type fixture, I've only seen them online but I have them on my list as I've ordered a few different kinds from ebay.
The couple that I have installed now I bought from the dealer for $25.00 each. Expensive but it's all part of my learning adventure as I want each light to have a certain brightness.
The other day I installed remote controlled puck lights in all the cupboards and it sure makes a big difference!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
kodiak545

if you like those style of LED lights
you might be interested in these COB LED lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5W-COB-Chip-...-/261409537176
kodiak545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
byrdr1

you sure can get confused looking at ebay and all the LEDS for these campers..
Just want the replace my dome lights and the two over the sink and the two in the shades by the couch and the three in the fixture over the table.
Domes are the flat kind and the others are the twist in like a 1157 auto bulb.
My mind is fried looking and reading all the types, stlyes, different light voulmes or cool, natural, bright whites....
Dang it..

randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
you sure can get confused looking at ebay and all the LEDS for these campers..
Just want the replace my dome lights and the two over the sink and the two in the shades by the couch and the three in the fixture over the table.
Domes are the flat kind and the others are the twist in like a 1157 auto bulb.
My mind is fried looking and reading all the types, stlyes, different light voulmes or cool, natural, bright whites....
Dang it..

randy
I agree it can get confusing especially when they post up all the dash lights and try to pawn them off as interior lights.
I bought a few different ones to get an idea as to what I really want. They will all come in handy as I want different brightness in certain fixtures.
I'll post up pics of before and after when they show up.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Byrdr1,

Do you want LED replacements that are similar in color to the 921 bulbs currently in your RV or do you want the bluish color light?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Marianelaine

Looking to replace 921 lights in Passport

John, I want to replace the 921 lights in our trailer with something softer and not as horribly bright- what do you suggest? LEDS, or another type of bulb?
Marianelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianelaine View Post
John, I want to replace the 921 lights in our trailer with something softer and not as horribly bright- what do you suggest? LEDS, or another type of bulb?
If you are looking for light that is about 2/3 as bright as the current 921 bulbs and in the same "warm yellowish" color range (not neon bright) I'd suggest you order a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-T10-921...item2a2ebd9746

They cost about $4.50 each, are about 170 lumens. 921's are about 220 lumens.

If you order two and like them in one fixture, then you can order the 10 pack for about $37 here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-T10-921-...item2a31d94875

I wouldn't recommend buying 12VDC LED's as they may not be as durable with higher voltages during battery charging. The ones above are 12-28VDC and will work in any RV charging environment.

I have ordered from this specific EBay vendor multiple times and have always had good results with no problems in shipping or quality of product. Keep in mind the items are shipped from China and take about 2 weeks to arrive.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Marianelaine

Ordered E-bay LEDS lights

Thank you! Just ordered two ten packs of the pancake lights from the second vendor link you put up. That should take care of the 8 bright lights. Next I will have to figure out what kind of bulbs the wall sconce and the light over the table on the slide in the Passport have. But this is a great start! Thank you so much!
Marianelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
281bullet

I bought these on Ebay. They are a bright white and are much brighter than the standard 921 bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231013145459
281bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281bullet View Post
I bought these on Ebay. They are a bright white and are much brighter than the standard 921 bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231013145459
You're right, they are brighter than the standard 921 incandescent bulb. They are a good choice for those who can tolerate the whiter (and brighter) color hue. The issue that many people have with the ones you ordered is their color. They are 6000K, which is a much "whiter" and "bluish" hue (sometimes approaching the violet color range. Just beyond that is "ultra-violet". Many people find that the 6000K-7000K color range causes eye strain and "tired eyes" after a bit of using them. The reason for the "eye strain" is that the eye's iris doesn't respond to higher frequency light (closer to UV light) and when the iris is open wider, it allows more light onto the retina. That causes overstimulation of the optic nerve causing "eye fatigue" or "eye strain" in some people.

For many people (especially those who don't tolerate overhead neon lights well) is to stay with LED's in the 2600K - 3000K range. They tend to "mimic" the yellowish hue of conventional light bulbs more closely and don't cause as much eye strain in people who tend to notice the problem.

For those who don't face the eye strain, the brighter lights do offer more "perceived reflectivity" and thus a brighter light. Some have likened reading with the whiter lights to being in direct sunlight and reading a book while the more "yellowish" lights are akin to being in the shade and reading the same book. Both offer enough light to see the page well, but one has the perception of "glare" in some people.

It's more a matter of personal choice. That's the only reason I keep bringing it up when someone posts about a higher frequency color range LED.

LED's are available in almost any color frequency range, including UV frequencies which will "burn" the human eye. Finding what works best for each application is as much a personal preference as it is a "lumen thing".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS