Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
LABSRUS

Travel Trailer Insurance Question

Hi all,

We need to obtain $250,000 in liability insurance coverage pursuant to our campground owner. It will not be towed and will stay at the campground year round. Progressive will insure it for us with comprehensive and liability.

But here's my question... we won't need collision insurance while at the campground, but will the RV dealer that is delivering it have collision insurance coverage for it while in route to our site?

Thanks!

Julie & Scott and our 2 Chocolate labs - Hailey & Harley
2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost crew cab short box with cap
2014 Springdale 311REGL - Seasonal campers
2008 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide
LABSRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
labs4life

I would think they would be required by law, but a quick call to the dealership will get the for sure answer.

Good luck and enjoy!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
LABSRUS

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
I would think they would be required by law, but a quick call to the dealership will get the for sure answer.

Good luck and enjoy!
You're right! I'll give them a call.
Love your user name by the way!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSRUS View Post
You're right! I'll give them a call.
Love your user name by the way!
Thanks. I am a Lab dude!!! Had one for a loooong time. Put her down at 14. Had kids shortly after, but see a yellow pup close in my future!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
floatflyer

RV insurance

Don't count on a dealer or delivery service to have collision insurance on your RV once you take title to it. They will likely have liability coverage but then you would have to make a claim against them, prove that it was their fault and fight with the insurance company while your damaged RV sits there unrepaired. You can get short term collision coverage - even on the same po!icy - and then cancel just that part once you're set up and won't be moving it. Far better way to go IMHO.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
campingcpl

I delivered RV's, trucks, buss's, etc. back in the late 90's and the company I worked for required all of their drivers to be bonded incase of any damage durring transport. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not. I never really asked that question of the guys I still know that are still transporters.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
theeyres

Don't forget that if you don't have collision/comp while it is parked if it catches fire, gets serious water damage, or a tree falls on it you will be up a creek without a paddle.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
labs4life

All of these would be covered under Comp.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
All of these would be covered under Comp.
Many companies will not sell comp without collision. It sounded like the OP was opting for liability, only. That was my point--he is taking a gamble with liability only--but it all depends on whether the trailer is worth enough to ensure for comp.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
labs4life

Gotcha.
He said in his OP Progressive would insure the trailer with Comp and Liability. They are one of the few companies that will do this.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
LABSRUS

Thank you everyone for all of the replies.

We have comprehensive and liability through Progressive now.
But just to be safe, I'll call in and add a day of collision when the trailer is moved to our permanent site, then I'll cancel it.

The RV dealer won't say if they will cover it during transport, however they told me that they thought the bank would require both collision and comprehensive since there is a loan on it.

Progressive will mail our current policy to the bank for us, so I guess we'll find out soon enough if they require more coverage. I hope not... since it's technically in storage now (on the dealer lot), and will not be moved after put in place at the campground this Spring. Plus, it's an additional $100 a year added to our $200/year current policy.

It's sure pricey having that much liability coverage, but our campground owner requires it.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
FullTimer

Quote:

But just to be safe, I'll call in and add a day of collision when the trailer is moved to our permanent site, then I'll cancel it.

The RV dealer won't say if they will cover it during transport, however they told me that they thought the bank would require both collision and comprehensive since there is a loan on it.

Progressive will mail our current policy to the bank for us, so I guess we'll find out soon enough if they require more coverage. I hope not... since it's technically in storage now (on the dealer lot), and will not be moved after put in place at the campground this Spring. Plus, it's an additional $100 a year added to our $200/year current policy.

It's sure pricey having that much liability coverage, but our campground owner requires it.
Ugh, sounds like he is counting on someone else to cover anything that happens while he has it. Yeah, go the extra mile to protect you're investment.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
hankaye

LABSRUS, Howdy;

Quote:

Might consider keeping the collision in effect.... never know how well the
person backing into the spot next to you can back-up..... if they bump your
rig then it is a collision... Never under estimate the ability of an idiot to screw up your life.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote