Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Scorn

I may have to buy a new truck to tow camper!

Well after reading much on this sight and the Tacoma Website I may have to buy a new (new to me) truck.

The old sales pitch of you can tow this camper without any problems seemed to be true, but if its too good to be true it's not!

I just bought a Bullet 241BHS 2014 and we love it. I towed it home with no problems, went 62 mph at 2500 RPM's towing in 4th gear. I admit the drive was only 50 miles and I even passed a truck on a slight grade.

The camper is 4650 dry weight and 6500 GVWR, 27 ft and 11".

I have a Tacoma Double Cab, Long bed with the tow package, WD hitch and sway control. The CGVWR is 11,500 lbs. and I am near that now.

We are going on our first trip near the end of the month, so maybe I will give it a shot and see.

Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
f6bits

There are hills in Indiana?

A truck upgrade will certainly make towing more enjoyable, leading to a less stressful vacation. Keep in mind that upgrade-itis may lead you to want a bigger trailer in the near future.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Bugle Boy

Your friendly Ford dealer will be very happy to help you out.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
chris199

Make sure you pay attn to payload. That was my mistake......bought another 1/2 ton pickup when I really should have gone to at least a 3/4 ton truck.

There is no way a person can tow the max weights of a Tacoma or 1/2 ton truck and stay within the payload limits. Payload, to me, if within spec....then you will be under any max weights for trailer.

Chris

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
therink

I highly recommend skippingn1/2 ton altogether and go with 3/4 ton. You can stick with gas, doesn't have to be diesel. Most are intimidated by 3/4 ton, but it is not any larger than 1/2 ton body, just larger frame, suspension, brakes, drivetrain. You won't regret it. In my opinion, Gm has the best riding 3/4 as a daily driver, but all a matter of preference.
Goodluck.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

I just understand why folks will use something that is close to it's max limits and allow for little or no cushion. I understand the jump from a 1/2 to 3/4 is more money but the safety cushion and peace of mind are high on my list when I am considering a purchase. Many think my F350 DRW is overkill for my Raptor 30FS TT but when I cross the scale at 23k combined not some much. Could be why I don't mind the cross winds nor do I worry about climbing any hills.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
buzzcop63

A couple weeks ago while camping at a local national park I saw a couple pull in with a rig like yours. I walked down and asked the owner how he was getting along towing with a 6-cylinder engine and to me a pretty good size trailer. The gentlemen said he had towed all over the country with his present set up and his only problem seemed to be that he could be down to 40 MPH on steep hills. We all like our trucks and if the truck possesses substantially greater towing capacity then the minimum required the driver generally is going to be a happier camper.

I own a 1/2 Tundra, two wheel drive with tow package and the 4.6 V8, my trailer loaded for the two of us weights in at around 6,000 Lbs and the Tundra does not strain pulling hills (it is rated at 8,200 towing). We have several of the Tundra's in our family and they are used commercially towing over the coast range in Oregon as well as from Salem over the Cascades to the Bend area (6,000Lb plus) and drivers have found that they do this job quite well. Good question to ask you is how much towing will you do and how much will you use the vehicle for day-to-day driving.
buzzcop63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
Farley

Scorn,

How'd the Tacoma work out for you? I have the exact same truck and almost bought the 2014 Bullet 241BHS last night. I was a bit worried about the size so I took the weekend to think about it. I'm in the military and will be moving out of FL next summer to head up to the North East, to give you an idea on the hills we may encounter.

Hope all is well.

Farley
Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
A couple weeks ago while camping at a local national park I saw a couple pull in with a rig like yours. I walked down and asked the owner how he was getting along towing with a 6-cylinder engine and to me a pretty good size trailer. The gentlemen said he had towed all over the country with his present set up and his only problem seemed to be that he could be down to 40 MPH on steep hills. We all like our trucks and if the truck possesses substantially greater towing capacity then the minimum required the driver generally is going to be a happier camper.
What is wrong with a 6 CYLINDER engine??? I have one and I know it will pull any size camping trailer that is on the market today up to a 29,000 LB'S.

You just need the proper size frame and suspension with the proper size transmission and gearing to do this.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
theeyres

I'm always in the minority in these discussion because I'm one of the few that doesn't believe bigger is always better. True, bigger will always tow easier and faster than smaller. When we full-timed our diesel 3/4 ton sure pulled our 32' fiver great. But before that we had a 1/2 ton that pulled our 25' trailer just fine--as long as we didn't plan to keep with the Jones in speed. As long as we were willing to take our time going up hills and didn't mind the semi's passing us, we were just fine. And we towed that trailer 10,000 miles. No matter what anybody said, the 1/2 Chevy was far more comfortable than our 3/4 ton Chevy and at the time the 1/2 ton was my daily driver. So before you spend the money to upgrade give it a try and see if you are willing to live with limitations.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
RGene7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
What is wrong with a 6 CYLINDER engine??? I have one and I know it will pull any size camping trailer that is on the market today up to a 29,000 LB'S.

You just need the proper size frame and suspension with the proper size transmission and gearing to do this.

Jim W.
I guess it was about 6 cylinder gas engine.
6 cylinders can do the job nicely if backed by Multispeed transmission, right final drive ratio is important as well, although not as much as with 4 speeds. 6 are definitely enough to tow
this Bullet. If the combination feels stable and manageable I would not upgrade the TV. Judging what is safe and what is not would be possible if we had standardized tests of breaking and handling, as well as some benchmark performance numbers which should be met in order to consider the combination "safe". Otherwise it's all very speculative. 99% of safety comes from careful driving and remembering that the trailer is there and is not the same as driving solo.
Having a right vehicle for everyday life is more important than going extra 20 mph uphill for 5-10 minutes

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
akacliph

Numbers don't lie. I towed with a 1/2 Ram for the first 5 trips of our trailers life and it did fine, although I know we were over on the GCWR and payload. Like stated, you lose most of if not all of your payload on tongue weight alone with a bigger trailer (mine is 800 dry) and a half ton, I wouldn't even guess what a Tacoma's payload is. Remember, your trucks payload is dry- no driver, passengers, gear or gas!

I upgraded for avoiding potential insurance snafu's, straight up safety and piece of mind.
akacliph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post

Jim W.
Thats a 6cylinder Cummins right?

I don't see any 6 cylinder gas pulling 29,000lbs unless it's downhill
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
jol

Hey they have ski areas in Indiana, I know shocked me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
There are hills in Indiana?

A truck upgrade will certainly make towing more enjoyable, leading to a less stressful vacation. Keep in mind that upgrade-itis may lead you to want a bigger trailer in the near future.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
Thats a 6cylinder Cummins right?

I don't see any 6 cylinder gas pulling 29,000lbs unless it's downhill
Sorry I didn't get back sooner but we were camping from the 15 OCT to the 21 OCT and didn't have access to the internet.

Yes: it is a 408 cubic inch, 6.7L Cummins with 3:73 gears and 68RFE 6 Spd auto.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
CHIEF MK

That truck will pull anything.
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote