Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Courtland
Site Team | Emeritus

Inverter/Charger Question...

So I have a new 5th wheel and I want to add a new inverter/charger so I don't have to run the generator to let the kids watch a movie or two while we are dry camping. I have had Xantrex PROsine 2.0 in the past on my old RV and never had an issue, but I am reading online that the quality and support has gone down from Xantrex and its next to impossible to reach them if you have any issues that you need to have addressed. I myself have called them to ask them a few pre-sales questions and after 30 minutes on hold trying to reach I gave up. I also called Magnum and was talking to someone in one minute who answered all my pre-sales questions, I also think I like the fact that the Magnum product is made in the USA where Xantrex appears to now be made in China.

So my questions to everyone are:
  • Does anyone have any recent experience with Xantrex support and if so hows it been?
  • What Xantrex product are you using?
  • Does anyone have any experience with Magnum Energy and if so hows it been?
  • What Magnum product are you using?

The two units I am looking at are the Xantrex Freedom SW2012 and the Magnum MS2012, both 2000W units. There is only a couple hundred dollars difference so I rather get the unit that has the better warranty and support in case I run into any problems.

Courtland
My buddies 08 Keystone Fuzion 362 when its just the guys.
https://www.keystonerv.org
https://www.desertriders.org/forums
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

2000 watts is a HUGE inverter to "watch a movie or two" You can run a toaster, microwave oven or a hair dryer off that puppy. And you'll need the battery bank to support it if you're planning to use it to it's full potential.

Most LCD TV's in the 24-26" range use roughly 60 - 150 watts. The high end is with built in DVD player. Another way to watch a movie is with a laptop plugged into a recharger which can be operated either on 110V or 12VDC and uses only about 40 watts for the built in player and the 16" screen.

Unless you're planning on a 4-6 battery 6 volt bank to support a 2000 watt inverter, you may be looking at a significant overkill with such a large inverter. You'd never use such a large inverter with a 2 battery system. It'd deplete the batteries in probably 10 minutes or less with a 1500 - 2000 watt load. It probably wouldn't even perk a pot of coffee in a conventional electric percolator before the low voltage alarm would be sounding.

Essentially, to do what you've identified, a 6 volt 2 battery system and a 750 watt inverter will provide all you need and not depelete your battery bank nearly as fast as the larger inverter would.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
christopherglenn

I have the 3000 watt unit, it is huge, the big selling point for me was the 150 amp charger. As far as watching tv, you may be better suited with a 300-400 watt inverter, just for the tv. I have 3 85 AH AGM's to support my inverter, and yea I can run the tv, microwave , toaster, and coffee pot at the same time off it (just not for long).
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Courtland
Site Team | Emeritus

Well I did not list all my uses; the wife wants to use a microwave, coffee maker and toaster as well as entertain the kids at times. These all require at least an 1800W inverter. I have 4 6 volt batteries and may even add another 2 since I have the room and also do a lot of dry camping. So I know all the specs and what it takes to run this size inverter and I also know for 90% of what it will be really used for it is overkill. As long as you turn it off when not in use you should never have a problem. The wife requested that she be able to do all the things in the new RV that she did on the old one and I am just accommodating her request. We had 4 12's in the old RV with an 1800W inverter and never had a problem. I am not looking for a lesson here on inverters, battery banks and power, I was just soliciting input from the members here on whether or not they have used any of these products recently or other products from these two manufacturers.
My buddies 08 Keystone Fuzion 362 when its just the guys.
https://www.keystonerv.org
https://www.desertriders.org/forums
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote