Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
jacksonjack

Roof weight capacity ?

I have a 300mp It states it has a "walkable roof" Walkable asin 125 lb skinny guy or walkable as in 275 lb guy carring an air conditioner ?
jacksonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

i am a tad over 300lbs i can walk on mine but i go slow and try to stay on the rafters. there were to us up there when we put on the second a/c still here to talk about it and the roof is still usable not bad
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
dpkimmel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
i am a tad over 300lbs i can walk on mine but i go slow and try to stay on the rafters. there were to us up there when we put on the second a/c still here to talk about it and the roof is still usable not bad
This is good to know as I am near to 300lb mark as well.
dpkimmel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
KenBob

Is there a weight capacity for RV ladders?
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
dpkimmel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
Is there a weight capacity for RV ladders?
Mine is listed @ 300lbs. Even so, I don't use it. It does not look sturdy enough for me. I know it is, it just doesn't look it. I carry another collapsible ladder to get on the roof if needed. By collapsible I mean as far as storage.
dpkimmel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

as far as that ladder on the back goes, i use it as a towel rack and used a real ladder to get on the roof
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
rnkburg

Did you put a low pro ac on the front, or a std size one?
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Retired CSIGuy

Ladder and roof

Your ladder is easily shored up. Drill through and through holes right at the bottom of each rung (both ends obviously) and use large hitch pins in each hole. Works great to increase the ladder capacity. As far as the roof is concerned, the load carrying capacity on rubber roofs is "stay the hell off of it unless necessary". No sitting in lawn chairs to watch the race, drinking beer, dancing, toppless chicks jumping up and down, throwing beads and yelling "whoo! whoo!", etc. You can walk on it gently (soft shoes or just socks) for maint., repair, or inspection, but other than that, the best way to protect it is stay off. One addl note on inspection, you'd be surprised how easily the rubber gets nicked or torn. Even small branches or flying debris can tear it. Inspect it often, and carry a good roll of roof patch with you.
Yamaha RSV-S
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
720Deere

Alright, I was with you on the no lawn chairs and I was almost okay with not drinking beer on the roof, but then you went a little too far! If topless women want to jump up and down on my roof and toss beads, I will just make sure they are barefoot! After all, without risk there is no reward.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Retired CSIGuy

Beads

mmmmmm...you mya have a point there....might have to re-think that one lolol
Yamaha RSV-S
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
Family Hideout

I am looking into adding an 8'x8' roof deck with canopy on my 27DBS, in lieu of just climbing up and sitting on camping chairs. WWW.TRICKFAB.COM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBSERVATION-...ER-/4647149454

This one looks like it would attached to the sides of the camper and not the roof. $3K does not seem too bad for what you get. wish the chairs and canopy came with it.
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD
Family Hideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Alright ...I'll ask....
Why do you want to sit on the roof of your RV? To watch .....??????
Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
Family Hideout

It would be like a vacation on the vacation. I go to at least 4 races a year and the view from on top of the roof is the best. I go to Road America, Mid-Ohio and Chicagoland Speedway. Great places to view the races from the roof of the camper.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD
Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Never having been to a car race ........ why not pay to sit in the stands? For the $3000 it would cost to have one of these canopies installed, you could probably get decent seats for a few years ?????
Old 10-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Family Hideout

You cannot sleep, go to bathroom (in your own camper), take a shower or bring your own food & drinks if you buy expensive grandstand seats. You would end up spending an addition $60-$70 to feed a family of 4 and probably pay close to $100 or more for alcoholic drinks per day you are there.

Not only that, at Road America and Mid-Ohio or most any other road coarse in the USA you can camp right next to the race track and have seating on your roof with a great view of the race. Most of these places you just pay to get into the track grounds and then go where you want around the track. They do charge you for camping over the weekend, but it is well worth it if you have a group of friends that will be staying with you for the weekend.

If you get the opportunity to go to a race, take it. Tons of fun and excitement. But, if you are not interested in that kind of thing, it may not be worth your time and money.
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Sounds like a good time for anyone interested in racing - getting together with fellow enthusiasts and reasonable costs for the weekend. I noticed a number of rigs with rooftop viewing decks in the attached video.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
Family Hideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Sounds like a good time for anyone interested in racing - getting together with fellow enthusiasts and reasonable costs for the weekend. I noticed a number of rigs with rooftop viewing decks in the attached video.
A lot of people just go up and sit/stand on their roof. We had 4 people on the roof of the motor home a friend of ours had. The video does not do justice for how great the view is of the whole race. To be in the infield all weekend at Chicagoland Speedway was $700 (4-days). That included electric & water hookup with Waste Management coming by to dump your grey and black when needed. It was roughly $44 per day for 4 people. Well worth it.

The great thing about the location we had was we were only 50 feet from the pit/garage entrance. I was pretty lucky that weekend. I had a free hot pit pass from a friend of mine. It allowed access to the garage and pits while the cars are leaving the garage to go out on track. Was able to get autographs and pics with the drivers before they would get into there cars.
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD
Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

The Hideout is a wood frame trailer with wood rafters. As I understand this platform construction, it attaches to the side walls rather than being supported by the roof. If it does attach there, you may want to contact Keystone and verify that the sidewalls will support the weight of several adults plus their "comfort items/beverages" on the roof without damaging the slide opening/bracing.

It would be unfortunate to install a $3000 accessory only to have it cause the slide to bind after the first use, or even worse, to invite 6 or 8 people (2000 lbs ??) of "guests" to sit on the roof and have the thing come crashing down into the double bed/bathroom of your RV.

Today's "lightweight" entry level RV's simply aren't built to the same structural standards or building integrity that you'd find in higher end "motorhomes and standard build trailers"...

I'd make sure the manufacturer agrees with the added weight prior to installing this kind of expensive and seldom seen accessory.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
Family Hideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Hideout is a wood frame trailer with wood rafters. As I understand this platform construction, it attaches to the side walls rather than being supported by the roof. If it does attach there, you may want to contact Keystone and verify that the sidewalls will support the weight of several adults plus their "comfort items/beverages" on the roof without damaging the slide opening/bracing.

It would be unfortunate to install a $3000 accessory only to have it cause the slide to bind after the first use, or even worse, to invite 6 or 8 people (2000 lbs ??) of "guests" to sit on the roof and have the thing come crashing down into the double bed/bathroom of your RV.

Today's "lightweight" entry level RV's simply aren't built to the same structural standards or building integrity that you'd find in higher end "motorhomes and standard build trailers"...

I'd make sure the manufacturer agrees with the added weight prior to installing this kind of expensive and seldom seen accessory.
I will definitely take these precautionary step before I decide to do anything like this. I am maybe considering the idea of having a smaller setup just off the back, and not attached to the roof or side of the camper like this.

http://www.trickfab.com/images/600_mhescaperdeck5.jpg
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD
Old 10-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
SAABDOCTOR

Festus the ral reason for puting the deck up there is to watch the "truck wars" from the campfire thread!! Much better off watching the race from the camper than the stands. I was luckt to scroe tickets to the indy 500 in 91 could not wait to go home and watch it on tv to see everything i missed from the stands.:d