Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Shoey

Fuse blowing but everything works?

I have a 2012 255RKS. The second or third fuse down (12V) is labled living room. This fuse keeps blowing. It was blown when we bough it, replaced, and blamed on the "cleaning" people. It blew again last fall, was replaced under waranty and blamed on a tight wire in the living room lights. The fuse has is now blown again. The interesting thing is everything works. I've checked every light, including lights inside cabinets, outside service lights, and porch lights. Slide and electric awning work fine, as well as the entertainment center. The TV signal booster works, the stove exhaust fan works, and the vent fan also works. There is no DC outlets in the camper or I would have checked those too. Refrig works on both gas and electric. Furnace works. Water pump works, water heater works on both electric and propane.

Does anybody know what this fuse is for?? My guess is it is for an option I don't have and it is a dangling wire inside the wall. Before I remove the fuse and leave it blank, I thought I would give the forum a try.

Any input would be appreciated. A source for electrical schematics would be even better.

Thanks.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Did you check to see if you propane/gas alarm is working. That is hardwired to 12vdc also. The size of the fuse (5amp-10amp-15amp) should also be a hint on what is running off of it. As for what it is marked .... don't count on that being correct.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Shoey

The propane alarm is working. There is a smoke alarm in the ceiling, but I believe this is battery powered. I'll check tonight, along it the amperage of the fuse.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Terrydactile

Are your tank sensors working, they are 12 volt. Just something else to check.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Shoey

Tank sensors are working fine. We just returned from a 4 day camping weekend over memorial day hoping to find "something" not working..... I just realized how stupid "hoping to find something not working" sounds, but everything worked just fine.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm going to "try" everything again tonight.

Does anyone else have an "unused" fuse in their power center?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Keyless entry?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Terrydactile

How about your antenna booster?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
Shoey

There is no keyless entry on the camper. The TV booster works fine.
I checked everything again last night, everthing works. The blown fuse is 15 amps.

I did not check the living room smoke detector. I was about to when I got the phone call that my Wife's car broke down. She seemed to think picking her up was more important than a blown fuse.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Terrydactile

Do you have holding tank warmers, I think they run from the 12 v side of things.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
Shoey

Thanks, but no tank warmers.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Exclamation Free Forum Membership

I think it would be very appropriate if the person who first finds out what this mystery fuse is all about, receives 3 years of free membership .

So, keep those posts coming! YOU could be the lucky one!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
gkainz

If it were mine, I would not be able to ignore it even with everything I could think of was working. A fuse blowing means something is overloaded or shorted to ground. Harbor Fright (yes, intentional spelling) has an ok circuit tracer that you could use to ring out the circuit to see where it goes.

something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/circuit...ive-96934.html or this http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Not posting this as a scare post - I just am somewhat OCD on things like that.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
If it were mine, I would not be able to ignore it even with everything I could think of was working. A fuse blowing means something is overloaded or shorted to ground. Harbor Fright (yes, intentional spelling) has an ok circuit tracer that you could use to ring out the circuit to see where it goes.

something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/circuit...ive-96934.html or this http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Not posting this as a scare post - I just am somewhat OCD on things like that.
As a last resort if the OP is convinced that all items work, including the safety devices then the fuse could be left out and/or the wire on that circuit can be disconnected from the power center.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Shoey

I checked everything yet again,.... Lights, water pump, tank monitors, propane detector, smoke detectors, entertainment center, signal booster, service lights, porch lights, lights inside cabinets (yes, I have lights inside cabinets), refrig, furnace (this was fun in 80 degree weather), range light and fan, bathroom fan, slide, awning... and more. Everything works.

I am convinced this blown fuse goes no where other than a wire inside the wall that ocasionally grounds out while traveling.

Since everyone has tried to be helpful, I am willing to go to harbor frieght and buy a cable tracer as someone suggested. I seen the one link would work on 12 volt DC. circuits. The other link I believe had a minimum spec of 70 VAC. I have a harbor freight a few miles from work, I try to make a lunchtime run either tomorrow or early next week. Just give you a little background, I am electrical engineer (for 20 years), and worked my way through college working for a licenced electrician. Tracing down blown fuses is not anything new to me. I'm pretty sure this is just an unused circuit that should not have been connected to the fuse panel, but curiosity has taken over.

Thanks everyone, and as soon as I get to Harbor freight, I'll update the thread.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
gkainz

If you do have a circuit going to no where, hanging loose, bare and touching ground occasionally, you may not be able to find it with a cable tracer if it's just dead-ending in a wall or run somewhere ... ? and yeah, I was one that suggested I would trace it. Hate to find out I sent you on a wild goose chase.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Jseverence

Food for thought, from one EE to another EE. Try and measure current with an ammeter on that fuse circuit, and see if there is any load on it. You might have to rig a few jumpers to put the ammeter in series with the fuse.
Reese R16 5th wheel hitch, with with slider.
Jseverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I checked everything yet again,.... lights inside cabinets (yes, I have lights inside cabinets),

I am convinced this blown fuse goes no where other than a wire inside the wall that ocasionally grounds out while traveling.
Perhaps they installed the optional 12v wine chiller and forgot to tell you where it is. I hope you can find where it goes. Something like this would drive me crazy ..... okay crazier. .... Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #18
Shoey

Haven't got the cable tracer yet, but I'm not too worried about the wild goose chase. I'm sure I'll use it again for something in the future.

I do like the idea a puting an ammeter in the circuit. If my guess is correct, there will be no load. It will be easy enough to do with with a couple male terminals, fluke, and some alligator clips.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
Jseverence

Another option is to pull the wire off the fuse screw termination. If it goes away then the short is in the wiring, it might just be a small chance that it could be in the converter. Some loose behind terminal board maybe or something slipped in during installation. Like you I was an electrical field engineer for most of my career, seen weird things that just didn't make sense.
Reese R16 5th wheel hitch, with with slider.
Jseverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
trucker LOU

My Springdale has an unused fuse slot in the panel. I keep a 15 amp fuse in it for a spare when needed.---LOU---
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote