Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #21
JJaxon

Thanks to all

Thanks guys. I read most of the owners manual, 351 pages now. Skimmed over some that didn't apply, like gas engines, bumper tow, etc. I also went to the scales today 2x. A new post is coming on the numbers, and I'll need some math experts to help me decipher what I have as a result.

I also washed the bugs off from the last trip in August today.
Added water after the scales. Heres a pic of the rig today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water fill.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	29855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Long rig.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	29856  
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Great looking truck, congratulations !!! I was going to mention the breakin period and your planned trip this weekend, but your comment about the 630 mile each way to pick it up likely resolved that issue... Enjoy towing this weekend !!!

As official keeper of the forum acronyms, think Canonman's comment deserves to be included:

"This comment definitely qualifies you for membership in the Forum's SKI community!!
SKI= "Spending the Kids Inheritance"
Well done! Really nice rig"
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:16 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
Thanks guys. I read most of the owners manual, 351 pages now. Skimmed over some that didn't apply, like gas engines, bumper tow, etc. I also went to the scales today 2x. A new post is coming on the numbers, and I'll need some math experts to help me decipher what I have as a result.

I also washed the bugs off from the last trip in August today.
Added water after the scales. Heres a pic of the rig today.

Congrats, that is a nice looking truck! I have said for decades, and continue to say (although my resolve is wavering seemingly) that I will not have either a diesel or a dually, but that is a good looking truck. Reminds me of my srw....it just needs to be flame red! Have fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #24
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Congrats, that is a nice looking truck! I have said for decades, and continue to say (although my resolve is wavering seemingly) that I will not have either a diesel or a dually, but that is a good looking truck. Reminds me of my srw....it just needs to be flame red! Have fun.

Red is definitely the fastest color... next is dark green. Blue is somewhere in there as well but nothing beats a clean red truck. Thanks is why I have white trucks. I don't wash them.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #25
JJaxon

My last 2 were white, before that dark green, and way back were 2 red trucks. I always said I'd never own a red truck, then bought 2 in a row. I like this truck in white but when I saw the blue, it matches my Fuzion and my Goldwing, so I went with it. Just finished a wash and wax, and my shoulder is killing me. Thankful for auto leveling on the rv, no more crank handles.
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 09-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #26
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Red is definitely the fastest color... next is dark green. Blue is somewhere in there as well but nothing beats a clean red truck. Thanks is why I have white trucks. I don't wash them.
Red shows up on radar, blue is a calming color, so I hope it works when LEO has a bad day.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #27
Gegrad

Good looking dually! enjoy!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #28
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
C'mon Danny! You know you want one! I guarantee, if you get a new Ram diesel, (or whatever your choice) you'll be grinning like a mule eating briars! You know I was thinking about getting a new Ford, right? But there's nothing wrong with my truck. About the only thing I could complain about is my truck "only" makes 400 hp and 800 ft/lbs of torque. So I just bought a Banks Automind 2 programmer that takes it to 510 hp and 1075 ft/lbs! I can't wait to get home and install it! I usually drive my CTS V when I feel like hot rodding but now I have a choice! GET THE DIESEL DANNY! Life is short, spend the money, you can't take it with you!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #29
dutchmensport

Congrats on your new truck and I KNOW you'll enjoy towing with it. Nothing like dualy's and diesels at that! Power, power, power! Only problem .... it's not a Chevy! (but I'll let it slide THIS time!)

Nice truck! Enjoy!
Old 09-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #30
Big1

Congrats! Wow, somebody got taste man what a beautiful match.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #31
Papa of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Congrats! Wow, somebody got taste man what a beautiful match.
Thank you Sir!
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #32
falcondan95705

Man Ram makes a Very NICE TRUCK with an Engine that has no equal...
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #33
Dan Lockwood

JJ, congrats on the new truck. 👍

I have a '12 RAM 1 ton dually and pull an 18k# gross Raptor 395LEV 43' toy hauler. I have to be very careful as I'm right at the top of my limits with the capacity of the RAM.

What do you pull, assume toy hauler with the bike, but not sure? If pulling with a SRW 1 ton, it must be a bit smaller than mine.

Will be very interested in how it does for you compared to the SRW. I'm thinking of upgrading as well. Looking at '19s in DRW.

Have fun with the new toy!
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #34
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
JJ, congrats on the new truck. 👍

I have a '12 RAM 1 ton dually and pull an 18k# gross Raptor 395LEV 43' toy hauler. I have to be very careful as I'm right at the top of my limits with the capacity of the RAM.

What do you pull, assume toy hauler with the bike, but not sure? If pulling with a SRW 1 ton, it must be a bit smaller than mine.

Will be very interested in how it does for you compared to the SRW. I'm thinking of upgrading as well. Looking at '19s in DRW.

Have fun with the new toy!
I pull a 2020 Fuzion 369 with my 2018 Goldwing in the back. This truck and the single rear wheel pulled this w/o issues. I went to the dually for more payload. Gained 1400 lbs.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:47 AM   #35
chunker

Quote:
I traded trucks this past weekend. After 1.5 years and 2600 miles towing with my last truck I decided a dually was a better truck to tow with for me.

Traded a 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 CC 4x4 LB SRW for this,
2020 3500 Laramie CC 4x4 LB DRW. The money wasn't much of a sacrifice and the few upgrade options the new one gives me are icing on the cake. My son asked me what was wrong with the 2019, I said it wasn't a dual rear wheel, and asked him what else am I supposed to do with my money? He offered no response. The 12 inch screen is very easy to use and offers many things I did not have in the last truck like Navigation, split screen, and overhead is the sun roof. Wasn't looking for that but this truck checked all my other boxes so I bought it.

I am taking the first trip towing this weekend to Kentucky Lakes. Then next week get the front windows tinted, spray in bed liner, order Amp Research auto steps, 60 gallon auxiliary fuel tank / tool box, install mud flaps and I'll be ready for a winter trip somewhere.

Here are a few pics;
Congrats on the truck. I may be in the same boat soon. My Ram 3500 SRW is at the ragged edge of weight issues for load and rear axle weights and that's with careful loading and downloading. I haven't researched this but were there any significant differences between the 2020 and 2019? My Ram SRW is a 2017 and there are significant differences in that cab and my 2020 Ram 1500 I got last spring. I ask because yesterday I saw a Ram dually at a Chevrolet dealership and it's a low mileage, 7K, Laramie. Price is high but that's asking not selling. I haven't looked at it so don't know what transmission it has and don't have the VIN yet. If there are significant and value differences between the 19 and 20 I'd just find me a suitable 20. I also intend to spend all my retirement then die. No sense having my retirement be someone else's 401K.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #36
JJaxon

I dont think there are any noticeable changes from 19 to 20. Small things my 20 has that the 19 didn't are dealer added when they ordered it. Both mine are Laramie trim. The 20 has the sun roof, collision avoidance forward looking technology package, and a lane line monitoring that keeps you from wandering over your lines. My 19 had none of these, but I paid the virtually same. On the tow mirrors, the lower or outer is now power adjustable like the bigger mirror. I follow a YouTube channel called Motor City Mechanic, and he put out a video yesterday about Ram / Cummins changes to the maintenance cycle for the EGR valve that has changed to a longer interval for 2020.

I too am spending my kids inheritance. I taught them early on that role reversal was expected. As I provided for them, washed them, fed them when they were young, they would someday get to repay me when I'm old and broken. For now, it's my turn to enjoy the fruits of my labors. They may not have understood it then, but I think they see what I meant by now.

Today is Amp research step install day. Next week will be adding an auxiliary fuel tank. Then step back and enjoy it before cold weather comes.
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 09-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #37
chunker

Quote:
I dont think there are any noticeable changes from 19 to 20. Small things my 20 has that the 19 didn't are dealer added when they ordered it. Both mine are Laramie trim. The 20 has the sun roof, collision avoidance forward looking technology package, and a lane line monitoring that keeps you from wandering over your lines. My 19 had none of these, but I paid the virtually same. On the tow mirrors, the lower or outer is now power adjustable like the bigger mirror. I follow a YouTube channel called Motor City Mechanic, and he put out a video yesterday about Ram / Cummins changes to the maintenance cycle for the EGR valve that has changed to a longer interval for 2020.

I too am spending my kids inheritance. I taught them early on that role reversal was expected. As I provided for them, washed them, fed them when they were young, they would someday get to repay me when I'm old and broken. For now, it's my turn to enjoy the fruits of my labors. They may not have understood it then, but I think they see what I meant by now.

Today is Amp research step install day. Next week will be adding an auxiliary fuel tank. Then step back and enjoy it before cold weather comes.
Thanks I researched through Edmunds and saw that 19 Ram was a major update and the 20 changes. I stopped by this morning and looked at it and got the VIN and looked that up. Found site with original sticker and MSRP was around 75K and they want 69.7K for the used one. As I said HIGH it also doesn't have the HD diesel or AISIN trans. I may pass. It did have a UWS 100 gallon aux tank and tool box combo that sticks back real close to the 5th wheel pucks. I'll have to measure but looking at it I think the tank is too large. I currently have a 51g aux tank and it has several inches clearance. Tanks can be swapped though. It had black interior and I'm not a fan of black exterior or interior in the south, heat. Exterior was Delmonico red same as my 17.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #38
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Thanks I researched through Edmunds and saw that 19 Ram was a major update and the 20 changes. I stopped by this morning and looked at it and got the VIN and looked that up. Found site with original sticker and MSRP was around 75K and they want 69.7K for the used one. As I said HIGH it also doesn't have the HD diesel or AISIN trans. I may pass. It did have a UWS 100 gallon aux tank and tool box combo that sticks back real close to the 5th wheel pucks. I'll have to measure but looking at it I think the tank is too large. I currently have a 51g aux tank and it has several inches clearance. Tanks can be swapped though. It had black interior and I'm not a fan of black exterior or interior in the south, heat. Exterior was Delmonico red same as my 17.
Just a note.. the price of a new F350 dually in Texas is better than 69.7K for a used Ram..
Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #39
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just a note.. the price of a new F350 dually in Texas is better than 69.7K for a used Ram..
Yes! But it's a F350! LOL!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #40
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yes! But it's a F350! LOL!
Wellllll... they don't have Bullwinkle mirrors...

I just can't do them mirrors.. and I drove Rams for years..